Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Bumper Cover 92 RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: T5
Bumper Cover 92 RS

Ok, so I got a used bumper cover out of a junkyard. Sanded it to bare urethane. I had to have a front fender repaired from car wash damage (never do those again) and so I put on the new bumper cover and ground effect. The car wash guy would only pay if I had the fender fixed at Maaco.

I talked to the Maaco guy about their reputation and he talked a good story about being independent and how he wasn't like all the rest. He said he would use Sherwin Williams 7000. Ok, I tried them for the front clip cause I had a dent on the passenger side, needed the new (used) nose, ground effect (after market), sunburned hood, and of course the car wash damage to the driver's side fender. Should have went with my better judgement and stay away from them. The hood and fenders were only fair with poor sanding. The bumper cover paint wrinkled and they had to redo it. The bumper cover didn't cure on the final coat. The bumper cover cracked right away. In short, wasted $1,100 and the $500 he charged the car wash guy.

Ok, so I have the bumper cover at a shop that does top quality work using PPG paints. They stripped it (that's how I know the paint didn't cure). They said the spider cracks in the urethane are problematic and will cause the paint to show new spider cracks in the near future. Options are have them put on a special urethane fill coat (like high build primer) about $200 more or order up a new bumper cover for about $400 with shipping. Thinking about ordering from Rick's or Hawk's. Both show in stock and about $80 shipping (comparable to each other). Classic Industries quoted $47 online but when I talked to them by phone they said its $209 shipping. I am in Washington so Classic is a lot closer but way more expensive for shipping. Anyway, anybody have experience with covers from either Rick's or Hawk's as to the quality and "factory fit"? The new shop is suggesting a new nose instead of going with the old one even though I would just buy so not like they are getting anything out of a new nose over the old. He did mention needing to fit check it before prep and paint but thinks this is the better way to go. BTW, he would go with PPG DBC9300 and Concept 2021 on the new paint job... Got some nice looking samples of his work on his facebook page..

Thanks...
Old 01-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt
Re: Bumper Cover 92 RS

Sounds like your new body guy knows what he's doing. It's hard to say without inspecting the bumper how bad the cracks are, but his solution seems to get correct. I think I would refinish the cover in hand if the cracks were not so bad too make soft spots. Next one might be more deformed.
I use the same paint as your new guy, it's the most expensive, but it looks great and lasts.