Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

some A$$hole tried to steal my car,!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some A$$hole tried to steal my car,!!!

well i went out to my car last night after leaving my buds house, and the hatch was open, and the dome light was on, i was like what the hell,
Upon further ivestigation i noticed that the passenger side door lock was popped out, and the steering column was busted, the fu(kin idiots took the faceplate to my CD player but not the cdplayer itself, they also didnt take the system out of the trunk, and they did not succeed in stealing my car, so just to keep this rant technical, what would be the best route as far as the steering column? fix it or replace it? what all does this entail?
Also what can i do about the passenger side lock? they messed up the hole that it fits into so it wont stay in if i push it back in.

Man if i find out who did this i will seriously kill them, and dump there worthless bodies in the river!
I work so hard for something and somebody thinks they can just take it from me!!
I am so pissed!!

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI
Borg Warner T-5 fresh rebuild
10-bolt 3.73 Richmond gears rebuilt GM posi,
formerly BW 9-bolt w/3.45 gears(broke it)
Ported Plenum and Runners Homemade AFPR
ACCEL 8.8 wires, High output coil,and cap & rotor
Bosch platinum + 4 plugs
Ram Air w/ K&N filters,
MAF sensor screens removed, TB coolant bypass
Polyurethane tranny and torque arm mounts
No Cat, Dynomax Headers & catback w/custom tips
K&N oil filter,Mobil 1 synth,Factory Oil Cooler, Futura GLS Super Sport tires 265/50/15 rear and 235/60/15 front mounted on 86 monte carlo SS rims.

406 siamesed TPI in progress
Old 11-24-2001, 02:58 AM

Car: 88 Trans Am
Engine: lt1 intaked 355 makin 277 on 25 psi of fuel pressure and stock timing :)
Transmission: A4 stock... that moved a mobile dyno a foot shifting into 2nd :)
man that sh&^ sucks.... hope u find the bastards.....
Old 11-24-2001, 03:52 AM

what idiots, id get an alarm, and a luiesville sluger, cause heads are gonna role if they come back

------------------
90 RS 305 tbi, 4 3/4" cowl Hood, Edelbrock TES headers, Flowmaster exhaust, Crane roller cam, comp roller rockers, vortec heads/intake, ported tbi, w/new injectors, MSD probillet Distributer/ coil, 1 inch tbi spacer, air foil, 14x4 k&n flat base air cleaner, Rebuilt 700r4 w/ B&M shift kit, B&M Megashifter, 3.23 posi, 2 12 RF's with mtx amp, top of line alpine cd player, soon to have 90-91 gfx, z-28 wing, new paintjob, rims, and all new lowered suspension.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:26 PM

i would replace the column personally.
and go to a body shop and see what they say. i personally would get the locks shaved know while you have the chance and reason. but if not. you might need to get a new door skin and those clock up around 4-5hrs and at about $45 an hour.

anyways my opinion baseball bat. remote door openings. and a steering column and faceplate. no sarcastic remarks intended.

good luck.

and ask some of the body guys if they will do it on the side outside of work. much cheaper. the guy i work for lets us.

------------------
Jarrad
United States ARMY Military Police Officer 339th Division

formerly owned:
1990 IROC-Z L98
Old 11-25-2001, 07:18 PM

ok i think the only thing i need to replace is the Rack Kit in the column, either way im gonna try that before i replace the whole column,

heres what i need to know:

Has anyone ever replaced the Rack Kit in the steering column? its #36 in the exploded veiw in this link here: http://www.metzcon.com/fbodymanual/images/6-26.gif

also my column has a metal lever that is by the ignition lock cylinder u hvae to push this lever down to turn the key to the on position and also to turn the key to the off position,,
Was this only on the 5 speed cars? and what exactly is it there for? and if i replaced the column with one that didnt have it would it matter?

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI
Bosch platinum + 4 plugs
Ram Air w/ K&N filters,
K&N oil filter,Mobil 1 synth,Factory Oil Cooler, Futura GLS Super Sport tires 265/50/15 rear and 235/60/15 front mounted on 86 monte carlo SS rims.

Old 11-25-2001, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Hey it wasn't parked in a Business Parking Lot was it? https://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/...ML/004236.html Just joking. lol

------------------

See my Ride:
https://www.thirdgen.org/rides/index...ew&rideid=1324

[This message has been edited by jobryan26 (edited November 25, 2001).]
Old 11-25-2001, 09:41 PM

hey guy...

that lever you are referring to is just a safety switch that came on all cars originally equipped with manual transmissions...my buddy's camaro was stolen about a year ago...he decided to replace the whole column...he bought a used one from a junkyard for $35...that one didnt have the switch (it was from an automatic) and he hasnt had any trouble with it...works just fine...good luck!

------------------
"WARNING: Objects in mirror are about to disappear VERY quickly!"

[This message has been edited by 89RustangRemover (edited November 25, 2001).]
Old 11-25-2001, 09:42 PM

sorry double post

[This message has been edited by 89RustangRemover (edited November 25, 2001).]
Old 11-25-2001, 11:30 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jobryan26:
Hey it wasn't parked in a Business Parking Lot was it? https://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/...ML/004236.html Just joking. lol

</font>
LMFAO HAHAHA

------------------
90 RS 305 tbi, 4 3/4" cowl Hood, Edelbrock TES headers, Flowmaster exhaust, Crane roller cam, comp roller rockers, vortec heads/intake, ported tbi, w/new injectors, MSD probillet Distributer/ coil, 1 inch tbi spacer, air foil, 14x4 k&n flat base air cleaner, Rebuilt 700r4 w/ B&M shift kit, B&M Megashifter, 3.23 posi, 2 12 RF's with mtx amp, top of line alpine cd player,autometer phantom gauges, soon to have 91-92 gfx, z-28 wing, new paintjob, rims, all new suspension, and new inteior
Old 11-26-2001, 02:13 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 305HO L69
Transmission: T5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jobryan26:
Hey it wasn't parked in a Business Parking Lot was it? https://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/...ML/004236.html Just joking. lol</font>
LMFAO!!!! someone already beat me to the cd player. lol j/k. but the cd player really is missing, and the driver side lock is busted out.

------------------
87 Camaro LT
bone stock 305 w/ 700r4 0-60: 3 minutes
mods to come:
ground effects
93 camaro seats
99 camaro center console
91 z28 rims
white 145mph iroc gauges
Old 11-26-2001, 04:44 PM

Listen, from experience. Some tricky Richard tried making off with my car here in Cleveland, and the only reason he didn't leave is cause the moron couldn't drive a stick. He actually stole the radio, after he broke the column. When I did the big search for a column that would fit/work it turned out I was looking to pick one up from Toronto Canada for a couple hundred. I had my fixed by some clown at a parts yard in Toledo for 75 bucks. Looks like new, saved everything except some potmetal and a piece of plastic (same key) and it was done in 1/2 hour. Don't spend your timing looking or waiting for the column, it's tough finding a stick column for our cars that you don't have to paint and screw around with. Besides, if yours hasn't taken a crap already from the pivoting, you're lucky and should stick with it so you don't end up rebuilding your "new one" in three weeks.

My .02

Heath
Old 11-26-2001, 08:33 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 89RustangRemover:
hey guy...

that lever you are referring to is just a safety switch that came on all cars originally equipped with manual transmissions...my buddy's camaro was stolen about a year ago...he decided to replace the whole column...he bought a used one from a junkyard for $35...that one didnt have the switch (it was from an automatic) and he hasnt had any trouble with it...works just fine...good luck!

</font>
well what does the lever do? and what do i have to do to bypass it? if anything at all?

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI
Bosch platinum + 4 plugs
Ram Air w/ K&N filters,

Old 11-26-2001, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Welcome to the club. If you want to see pictures of my break in, visit my website. There are a bunch of pictures of the damage done. They totalled my car just by the interior damage alone.
I replaced my steering column myself, wasn't hard. Only tricky part is balancing it when you remove it from the firewall. One tip: When you unbolt the column, make SURE everything is lined up. Their are only 6 bolts holding the column in the car. After you remove the knee pad you just need to unbolt the shaft under the hood. Then unbolt the 3 bolts holding it to the firewall. Slowely unbolt the 2 holding it to the lower part of the dash. Remember to lift up the end of the column to get it through the firewall. I had a bitch of a time getting mine out and it turned out that a small clip the thickness of a paperclip was stopping me from pulling the column through the firewall!
Oh well, good luck and let me just add: Alarms suck! Starter kills rule!! That's the only reason my car is still with me. I even had VATS disabled because my avital alarm has the remote starter feature. Don't let this get you down, just make it better.
Oh yeah, and check out my website if you want ideas on how to make a killer stealth stereo install .

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI!)
91 Red My website
Old 11-26-2001, 09:28 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fastcamaro87:
well what does the lever do? and what do i have to do to bypass it? if anything at all?

</font>
You have to push this lever down in order to get the key to release from the mechanism...like I said just a safety thing...kind of like with the autos how you have to put them in PARK in order for the key to release, it has no affect whether it's there or not...so no, you dont have to do anything to bypass and no it won't matter if it's there or not...so you can either get a column from an auto or a stick...i personally think its a nuisance...but that's just me...does that answer your question? ...

[This message has been edited by 89RustangRemover (edited November 26, 2001).]
Old 11-27-2001, 01:42 AM

yes that answers my question 89mustangremover

and thanks for the comments and suggestions Jprevost and everybody else!

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI
Bosch platinum + 4 plugs
Ram Air w/ K&N filters,

Old 11-27-2001, 02:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
Junkyard, parts that you know fit. Thats one of my best resources.

------------------

89 Formula Firebird
Red with T-tops
5.0 305 FI
Soon to be a 400small block
Old 11-28-2001, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

You said #36 in the picture? If you know for sure that that is all you need to replace, I'm pretty sure I have a spare in my garage (don't ask). Actually, I've got a pile of steering column parts in there.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:12 AM

hey MIKES i already have the rack kit, a.k.a. #36 but if you happen to have the plastic covers that go on the column i need those.

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI
Bosch platinum + 4 plugs
Ram Air w/ K&N filters,

Old 11-28-2001, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member

That's too bad. The covers are about the only part I have that isn't good. I've got a few broken ones, but nothing you would want. Actually the one currently in my car is broken as well. I didn't have the time to find a replacement before I had to get the thing drivable again. Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:48 AM

well i found a column from an 87 camaro that has tilt and delay wipers and its got a new lock cylinder with keys, and i removed my cruise control so its not a big deal. i figure its a better idea to replace the column than to rebuild mine, however i will eventually get around to rebuilding it, so i can become more familiar with its internals.But for now replacing it is the best route.

If anyone has or knows who has the plastic covers for the column please post here or give me an e-mail

Thanks

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI
Bosch platinum + 4 plugs
Ram Air w/ K&N filters,

Old 11-28-2001, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

Well, again, I've got no real help for you, but think you made a pretty smart choice. It is fairly easy to swap columns, but tearing one down and putting it back together without the right tools is a real pain.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:18 PM

well i picked up the column today, and it is perfect, it even came with a steering wheel, either tonite or tomorrow i will put it in and see what happens.
Old 11-28-2001, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

heres a tip if u have $700 and a good aim. u can get a 41 magnume and then spend sum cash to get the rounds and if they come back just fire a few at them or into the air and if the police ask y u were firing tell them they had clubs and bats what whatnot so u might go off easier. or one thing just put all the motion sensor lights u can get around ur house so when they come back u will know becuz of all the bright a$$ lights out side or when ever anyone is comin up the driveway. well gtg later
Old 11-28-2001, 11:03 PM

thanks for the suggestion 82chevycamaroz28
I have a 45 with a 10 shot clip, and damn good aim , but i think a blunt object will be more suited, for the occasion.

UPDATE: I have installed the new column and all is well, best part is that i dont have to deal with that damn lever anymore!!

next on the list is shaved door handles!

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI
Bosch platinum + 4 plugs
Ram Air w/ K&N filters,

Old 12-03-2001, 10:05 PM

I just had my 86 IROC stolen, I just got it back two weeks later, only thing is that they took the passenger door, two rims , hood, and pushed in the passenger front fender, and last but notleast they broke the steering column. I now find myself in the same situation. The safety lever is bent back , but how do i start the car, and also how do i know if anything is missing in the steering column. also where can i view those pictures to see if I can help myself. After $300 dollars and two days of paperwork for recovery cost, I felt like a victim twice.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:47 AM

well i hae to agree abot how much it sucks, an to let you know, i switched to a column thatdoesnt hav the lever on it anymore and as long as you change the ignition switch you will be fine, plus its much nicer to not have that damn lever there anymore, as for the pics im not sure if i understand what you mean, dd u want to see the pics of what happened to my steering column, they probably broke the same thing on yours, if u want to see them let me know and i can e-mail them to you, realistically, it was cheaper when i priced everything to just put a new column in..
Old 12-04-2001, 10:51 AM

also if you look under the left side of the column and it is broken there is a switch you can slide back and forth, when you slide it, the check engine light and the seatbelt light will come on same as if you turn the key to the on position, once they ar on , go under the hood, and jump the two leads on the starter with a ratcht ora screwdriver and it should fire right up,
Old 12-04-2001, 09:00 PM

I think its time for a Viper Alarm, and starter kill and some crazy **** you can rig up yourself. )
Old 12-04-2001, 09:06 PM

Also, thats why I am doing away with my lock holes and door handles. Im puttin door release switches on and a keyless entry