Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Anybody elses t-tops leak through the center bar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2001, 06:59 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Anybody elses t-tops leak through the center bar?

I'm so amazingly pissed off with my t-tops I can't stand it. I porked out $300 for soff-seal gaskets and the car still leaks right onto the back seat. It comes in under the black center-bar between the t-tops, runs to the back plastic interior trim piece above the rear seats, then drips off the edge of that piece right onto the seat. This morning, after heavy rains last night, my whole passenger rear seat is completely soaked.

Recently I pulled out the gaskets part way, and siliconed the hell out of both ends of that black bar, but apparently to no avail. Has anybody else had this problem and been able to fix it? I've been fighting with it for over 2 years and still can't even make a dent in it.

------------------

The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
Custom Thirdgen Subwoofer Enclosures
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 09-21-2001, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem.Does either one of your t-tops stick up a little?.Mine does on the right side but its not open its actually tight.For now when i know its going to rain i cover the t-tops with a big plastic bag.Check the windshield and the center black piece under the seal.If you get this fixed please let me know

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Trans Am (edited September 21, 2001).]
Old 09-21-2001, 08:03 AM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI peanut cam
Transmission: 700R4
Need more info.

A&M SoftSeal is a local business. I'm planing on going there for seals on my 86 WS6 TA.

------------------
86 T/A 5.0 A4 & 2.77 gear
15.62 @ 86 mph
93 Civic 1.6L
13.5 @ 100 mph
Old 09-21-2001, 09:00 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
Here is what I did. I stuffed some caulk in the crack above where the t-s slid in, then I put a little celefane (suran wrap) on the edge of my T-top. let it sit for a few hours.
wipe with your finger off the top and.

If you really want to do it up. Take some silicone and put it in the space all the way around on the metal too, (between the body & seal on the front and back. Just clean it up with your finger to make sure it is clean looking.

that fixed my problem

John

------------------
G O D BLESS AMERICA
87 Formula Yellow/Black

5.1 TPI Automatic
Baer 12" brakes 4 wheels, KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks & struts, Custom Leather interior, WAAAY TOO MANY MODS TO LIST

87 Formula TPI (5 Speed) Yellow/Gray STOCK

1967 Buick Riviera 430hp Turns high 14's (Not bad for 4300 lbs)

83 Camaro (Parts)
83 T/A (parts)

http://www.3rdgenformula.com
Old 09-21-2001, 11:37 AM

yea i have the same prob too..i siliconed the hell out of everything i could get my hands on. It worked alittle but when it pours still comes in on the rear seat. im thinkin it might be coming from the hatch.
Old 09-21-2001, 01:02 PM

Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
I have your solution.....

This same thing happened to me. I tried using silicone on the inside, with the headliner out and that didn't work, then I tried bending back the weatherstripping and sealing the crack, but that didn't work. All of the solutions I have read on this thread I tried and NONE of them worked. But I did manage to fix my problem. Here is what I did.

First, I forked over for a new set of weatherstripping. I wound up buying two sets before I finally got it right so I feel your pain.

Then I removed the old weatherstripping and the black center bar. Now comes THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. With everything of, I put a very liberal amount of silicone sealant directly onto the metal that seperates the 2 t-tops (the metal that is normally underneath the metal spacer). After I had all this sealant applied and evenly spread out filling the little holes and grooves, I then put my metal t-top spacer back on. I had some sealant oozing out when I did this, that is how much I had applied.

After the t-top spacer bar was installed again, I then re-applied even more sealant. Except this time I did use a little less and only put it where the weatherstripping would sit. Then when it was time to put the new weatherstripping on, I made sure to place it onto the freshly sealed area, the "troughs" that hold the weatherstripping in place. Again some of the sealant oozed out when the weatherstripping was put on.

This solved all of my leaking problems. My car used to leak like a faucet. I used to have to keep a towel on my lap while I was driving in rain because there would be a little waterfall coming from the front onto my lap. I also would get a lot coming from the back that would land on my rear seats. I didn't find that my rear hatch was leaking either.

My car has been leak free ever since even in very heavy rainstorms.

Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2001, 04:14 PM

interesting. gotta try that. thanx

www.geocities.com/stallionsz28
Old 09-21-2001, 06:33 PM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Problem is, I can't get the black center bar off anymore. :Mad: When I installed it I must have been a bit too liberal with the silicone, and now it's stuck on there pretty good. I've got to buy a new bar because I know I'll destroy the one on there when I try to remove it.

Thanks for the tips guys.

------------------

The IROC Homepage
Old 09-22-2001, 10:00 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Apone:
After the t-top spacer bar was installed again, I then re-applied even more sealant. Except this time I did use a little less and only put it where the weatherstripping would sit. Then when it was time to put the new weatherstripping on, I made sure to place it onto the freshly sealed area, the "troughs" that hold the weatherstripping in place. Again some of the sealant oozed out when the weatherstripping was put on.

</font>
So the silicone can be used as the sealant AND the adhesive for applying the weatherstripping? Does the old weatherstripping come out fairly easily? Which company carries the BEST replacement weatherstripping?

------------------
89' Firebird Formula
Black/grey cloth
305 TPI/5 speed/3.45 rear
dual cats/PW,PL/T-tops
K&N, SLP TB booster,
SLP exhaust, Jet chip

[This message has been edited by Ziggy89Formula (edited September 22, 2001).]
Old 09-27-2001, 11:17 AM

Great Info! Did you have to remove rust beore replacing the weatherstripping?
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hotroc:
interesting. gotta try that. thanx

www.geocities.com/stallionsz28
</font>
Old 09-27-2001, 01:13 PM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Well, it rained like a **** the other day, and my interior was bone dry. Oddly enough, no water spilled into my lap this time either. So far so good.

------------------

The IROC Homepage
Old 09-27-2001, 06:01 PM

Thats exactly how mine used to leak....Since I've replaced my weatherstripping it doesn't leak anymore. It did take me 2 days to do the weatherstripping tho.

First I pulled all the old weatherstripping off and picked out all the little leftovr pieces of rubber I was going to take the t-bar out, but the screws were kinda rusted away and weren't going to come out so I left it in. Next I sanded down the whole area that weatherstripping goes on along with any other areas that had rust. Next I painted the entire t-top area with 3 coats of por15 to completely seal and prevent any future rust. I made sure to get in all the cracks where the t-bar attaches since I could see that was the part that was the most rusted on mine...The next day when all the por15 was dry, I added some 3m body caulk over the por15 to the areas where the t-bar attaches and then put on the weatherstripping with the 3m weatherstripping adhesive and followed the directions that came with the kit from www.sunroofdoctor.com I haven't had anymore water leak into my backseat since then (about a month)