Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

additional guages???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 12:53 AM
87bird

additional guages???

I want to put more guages in my firebird because the only ones I have currently are mph and fuel. Is it very hard to do? I already found a set from another 87 firebird that I'm gonna buy. He says, the speedo is cable driven and the rest are all electric, will everything go in pretty easily?

Thanks,
Jordan
Old 09-19-2001, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 406 SBC
Transmission: 4R70W
Axle/Gears: Moser/Strange 9" 3.73, spool
I'm not really familiar with firebird interiors and gague clucters, but since nobody else has replied, I'll try to help you out the best I can.

First off, are there already places in the instrument cluster to put the gagues? If now, where are you going to put them? If you don't have the spots, you might be able to replace the whole gague cluster with one from a firebird that has them all. Anyone know if that true or not? I only owned a Firebird for a week so I don't remember.

The next part is, how good are you with wiring? Those gagues will have to be connected to sending units and sensors on the engine. The oil pressure one connects to a sending unit just above the oil filer on V-8 engines, not sure on V-6's but I think they are too. The water temp gague is normally on the driver's side cylinder head between cylinders 1 and 3. The volt meter will connect to the alternator output, at least that's where I'd connect it.

It really isn't as hard as it sounds to wire them up, but you might have to buy the sensors if you don't already have them on that engine. You'll have to run the wires through the firewall, obviously, so you'll have to either drill new holes or try to fit them in through an existing hole.

Hope I helped a little.
Old 09-19-2001, 10:14 PM
87bird

I'm going to buy the whole guage cluster from another 87 firebird. I'm pretty good with wiring. It doesn't sound like it will be too awful hard to do, to me.

Thanks for your help,
Jordan
Old 09-21-2001, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: 406 SBC
Transmission: 4R70W
Axle/Gears: Moser/Strange 9" 3.73, spool
The whole instrument cluster should bolt right in. You will have to change some of the sensors though. The ones you have now are probably the kind that either turn a light on or off. The one's that you need are a variable resistor type. Any auto parts store should be able to get you what you need.

Glad I could help

Joe