Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Turn Signal Lever

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Signal Lever

Hi Out There!

My Multi-Function Turn Signal/Wipers/Cruise Lever on my '86 Iroc as broken and is in need of replacement.

I have taken the Steering Wheel off and removed the Turn Signal Cancelling Cam and can see the White Plastic Switch were the Hazard Pull Out **** goes into but I can't see an obvious way of removing the Lever Assembly.

Behind the White Switch assembly there are 3 Torx Head bolts and a smaller one for the Ignition Lock Barrel. Do I remove these bolts to gain access to the Lever Assembly?

The Turn Signal Lever assembly is covered by the Steering Column Shroud, will I have to detatch the column from below the dash to gain access into the column.

I have tried to pull the lever directly out of the column and also tried twisting the lever and then pulling but without success.

The Haynes and Chiltons don't describe an obvious solution.

Any help/tips/how too's gratefully received.
Old 09-17-2001, 02:46 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
the handle it self pulls straight out.

Then there is 4 wires that run down to under your dash that will need to be unplugged. I found them new for around $75 for just the handle. (not at dealer) There are some places that carry OEM GM parts. IF you go to a junk yard, good luck. They like to sell them with the column. I got lucky bought one for $15 bucks. They had no key for the column.

There are several styles, fortunately they seem to run in batches of years. If you have the resume-cruse, set buttons with a slider then there are 3 basic types that I have run across in the junk yards. As for cams & birds, I do not know what year they changed.
Type one uses the external speedo cable style, and in some cars were replaced by eloctronic units in 1984.
Type 2 is an intermediate style and looks like the first style but it is for the electronic cruise control.
Tpye 3 then they changed again in the late 80's early 90's to a style where you can unplug the wires on top the column, easy to get to. The handles are the same with these and will interchange IF you want to do some cutting & splicing.

Unfortunately, you will have the style with a wire that runs down through your column. I suspect you have electronic cruise, since my 87 has that. Good luck

John

------------------
87 Formula Yellow/Black

5.1 TPI Automatic
Baer 12" brakes 4 wheels, KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks & struts, Custom Leather interior, WAAAY TOO MANY MODS TO LIST

87 Formula TPI (5 Speed) Yellow/Gray STOCK

1967 Buick Riviera 430hp Turns high 14's (Not bad for 4300 lbs)

83 Camaro (Parts)
83 T/A (parts)

http://www.3rdgenformula.com