Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Windows are scratching my tint...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows are scratching my tint...

Something on the inside of the door is scratching my window tint...What do I do? Would the place replace them and fix them if I have a lifetime warrenty on them? Or can I fix it? Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks....Later

------------------

DEEP RED 87 IROC-Z
350, 5.7 TPI, auto
Few bolt on mods
-3" Flowmaster catback system
-Accel plugs, wires, and distributor cap
-MSD coil
-K&N Airfilters
-SLP Airfoil
-Brand new paint job
-Hypertech Thermomaster Power Chip
-Hypertech 160 degree thermostat
-Macewen white face overlays
-Xenon Blue bulbs from Macewen
More to come soon!!
Old 08-22-2001, 10:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Same thing is happening to me. I really don't want to take of the door panel.

------------------
'86 IROC
T-TOPS, TINTED WINDOWS, BRAKE LIGHT BLACKOUTS
GM GOODWRENCH 350
EDELBROCK TES HEADERS
FLOWMASTER, NO CAT
EDELBROCK 600CFM CARB.
KN AIRFILTER
ACCEL HEI DISTRIBUTOR
160* Stat
2:73 GEARS
Rebuilt 700R4, with manual valve body
B&M Megashifter, 5" Autometer Tach w/shift lite
Soon to be installed
3:73 Richmond Gears and 3" Hooker Aero Chamber
Corvette Servo & .500 boost valve
15.61@ 95.2mph G-Teched, 1-2 shift slippage, and just replaced a burnt plug wire
"There is nothing more addicting than speed"
Old 08-22-2001, 10:25 AM

yea i have this problem on my 86 IROC. it's actually scracthed the glass permanently on my passenger side...
Old 08-23-2001, 02:30 AM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi
Must be an epidemic! I believe the little felt pieces at the top of the door frame is doing mine. If you look past the rubber pieces into the door with the window down you can see the felt pieces at the top.

I also believe any straight line is caused by bad long rubber at the top interior of the door. There is a long matching piece on the outside of the door from end to end. I don't know what it's name is besides "rubber on door" but every car has them. If the inside one is bad it can scratch the tint.

Next Gen parts catalog and the Paddock replace this piece. I'll have to look up the cost I guess.

------------------
86 Camaro Black SS Coupe, T Tops, Flowmaster, Custom Paint, Dunlop Road Kings S/R tires, Wheel Country Directional Chrome Wheels,new charcoal & gray interior including seats and door panels, new carpet and headliner, complete front end suspension rebuild, new Valve seals, and more mods to come
http://www.angelfire.com/sports/niterider/86camaro.html
Morgan_Andre@hotmail.com
Old 08-23-2001, 03:08 AM

Wow, everyone has this problem it seems...Glad I'm not the only one. Well I think I will take it back to the tint shop and see what they will do about the warrenty, and replacing the tint. Then I will get some new type of felt stuff to put there and replace the "rubber on door" piece, mines cracking and falling apart anyways. Maybe that will fix my problem. Let me know if you find out the price of the "rubber on door" pieces....
Old 08-23-2001, 04:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts
The heart of the problem is the car, not the tint. The shop that did the tinting probably won't do anything to help you, except try to polish the tint. What happens is simple, the door has various parts that contact the window for support, etc. Each contact point has a fuzzy patch stapled or riveted to protect the glass. As the car ages the fuzzy patch gets worn. The rivet or staple then is up against the glass. I haven't done anything to remedy this problem yet because I dont have the windows tinted in any of my cars that I drive frequently, but when I get around to it, I plan to either replace the fuzzy pieces or use felt or something of the like to cover the contacts. Just take the door panel off and have a look, its not that difficult.
Old 08-27-2001, 03:56 AM

That happened in my 85 Caddi too...

Guess I aint tinting my Camaro windows just yet.
Old 08-27-2001, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

it's simple i fixed mine, it's true there are felt patches if you want to call it that are placed over various mounting points for the actuall tacks that the window runs on; but this is only one of the problem areas.

the best and only remedy for those "patches" is to remove them and clean them completely or replace them if they look warn out.

also, the major problem, or at least mine was the weather stripping along the top of the door. not only was it dirty from years of use, but it was also sun dried and hard causing unecessary wear on the glass.

you can replace the weather stripping, but you basically have to buy the whole black top of the door. (not cheap)

basically, besides the felt patches and the weather stripping, the window doesn't come in contact with anything else........ so it just depends on what you want and if your willing to pay.

plan on buying your own material to re-cover the patches if their warn; and plan on $150 a piece for the black plastic with weather stripping that runs across the top of the door. also since the door is apart it is a good idea to fix any rust you might have and grease up all your parts.

but, the upside is that the interior looks 100% better and my glass as well as my tint isn't scratched anymore; as well as the window rolls down quicker now.