Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Condensation leaking into passenger compartment floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 Tuned Port Injection
Condensation leaking into passenger compartment floorboard

Last summer, I had my evaporator core replaced. Sure made a great difference in how well my A/C works. I drive my car daily, usually around 25 to 30 miles a day. This summer, I took some longer than usual trips, this summer and afterwards, I noticed a pool of condensation from my evaporator core lying in the sunken portion of the floorboard on the passenger side. I took it back to the shop that installed it and they completely took it apart and determined that they had failed to replace some sort of screen material on the side of the evaporator core. That was a few weeks ago. Well yesterday I took it on a longer than normal trip and the water is back. I took the kick panel off and saw that water was dripping along the seam of the box that covers the heater core. I took it off and made sure that it was installed correctly, but it continues to leak. There is a significant amount of condensation dripping underneath the car, but it doesn't seem like it is able to keep up with the amount of condensation being produced. Anyone out there have any suggestions? Does anyone have a blow up diagram that shows the evaporator core and what is supposed to be in there with it, if anything? Thanks for any assistance I can get.
Old 08-25-2001, 11:45 AM

well, i have had the same problem myself. 2 cars same problem, 2 different fixes. the first was in my camaro I got a pool of fluid in the pass side floorboard, turned out to be anti-freeze and I had to replace my heater core (not fun at all). the other car was my freinds grand am. moister in the pass side floor board, not ant freeze this time but water, turned out there is a drain tube to let the condesation drain out from the A/C and it was clogged with leaves and debris. Cleaned it out and all is good.

first determine wat the liquid/fluid is and the will help to diagnose the cause.

hope this helpz...........Bombero

------------------
1989 IROC-Z Convertible, 305 TPI 5-Speed 97,000 milez. all stock inside and out, No Modz, very clean ride!
Old 08-25-2001, 03:25 PM

Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 Tuned Port Injection
bombero437,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I too have had to replace the dreaded heater core, due to the problem you describe. No, this is definitely water and unfortunately, the 85 IROC did not come equipped with a drain hose or tube. It just has a small opening towards the back of the evaporator core box, close to the firewall. According to my mechanic, it's clean in there. I am going to call them on Monday, as I was looking at my Chilton's and it mentioned something about retaining a foam wedge and placing it back in with the evaporator core, whenever it's removed. Any other ideas or possibilities?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bombero437:
well, i have had the same problem myself. 2 cars same problem, 2 different fixes. the first was in my camaro I got a pool of fluid in the pass side floorboard, turned out to be anti-freeze and I had to replace my heater core (not fun at all). the other car was my freinds grand am. moister in the pass side floor board, not ant freeze this time but water, turned out there is a drain tube to let the condesation drain out from the A/C and it was clogged with leaves and debris. Cleaned it out and all is good.

first determine wat the liquid/fluid is and the will help to diagnose the cause.

hope this helpz...........Bombero

</font>