Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Need paint code...and pics of TA's with flame red metallic paint job

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need paint code...and pics of TA's with flame red metallic paint job

I am going to paint my car soon. Somebody I know owns a paint shop and they said they will paint it for like $150. This seems a little too low to me....b/c they are even going to sand it, wet sand it, and prime it. How do I make sure I get a good paint job? Are there different types of paint that are cheaper than others? I want the flame red metallic on my TA...but I dont want to get some cheap looking paint. The kid said that he will even put clear coats on it. Now...how do I make sure I dont get the worst looking paint job...even though I am paying $150 for it. This is my first car...I just want it to look good for my senior year...so I dont car if it is going to only last for 3 years...b/c chances are that I am going to just look for a 4th gen by then. Now if I get the paint code...does this reassure that they will use a "good" paint...as opposed to some cheap paint that is going to chip off? Is it the paint that makes those cheap paint jobs look cheap..or is it the fact that they dont sand it and prime it? Let me know...I want to make my decision ASAP. Thanks.

James
Old 08-16-2001, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89' T/A, 00' Firehawk
Engine: 406 Roller
Transmission: TH700R4 w/2800 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi
some good paints are PPg, DuPont and Kirker. 150 sounds awfully cheap for a good quality paint job. i realize macco has 99 paint jobs, but thats excatly what you have, a 99 dollar paint job, all they do is scuff the surface and spray it. there is ALOT of work in painting a car, sanding it down, primering it, sanding it again, primering, wet sanding it, tape it off, spray it, basecoat clearcoat, and possibly wet sanding it again with wet 1500. that is alot of labor for 150. and paint, primer and clear alone will cost you several hundrend dollars atleast. i would check into his "150" dolla paint job to make sure what kind of paint he is using, and what kind of prep work he is gonna do. also make sure that he knows he needs flex additive for the bumpers and gfx so the paint wont fall off. hope this helps. i finally decided on the color for my bird, its off a 97 ford taurus SHO, its a little ighter red than the flame red, I really like it, but not looking foward to the hours of body work ahead. lil jay

------------------
Wide Open Till You See God...Then Brake
Old 08-16-2001, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay...the reason why I am getting it so cheap is because this kid I know from school works there. It is an auto body repair shop..they usually dont paint whole cars. I would have to put my trust into this kid...who is 15. But....he wouldnt be hired...if he couldnt do the job. I have seen a mustang that he painted...and it looked better than the $800 paint job my friend recently bought. He is going to do all the prep work...he is going to first sand it..use bondo...and bang out dents. Then he is going to primer it....then he is going to wet sand it. I trust him only due to the fact that the owner trusted him to paint fenders on his own '01 Altima. He says that he uses dupont paint. He said that if I am not satisfied with the paintjob that he will either repaint it...or he will just strip it, sand it, primer it, and re-wet sand it so I can take it else where to get it repainted. It is only $150....I think that it is worth a shot...the shop is literally down my block.....only a 2 minute walk. I just am deciding on a nice paint. What shade of red would you suggest? I like metallic paints...especially the flame red...but I think I may want more of a brighter red. I am not totally sure...but hey what the hell...it is my first car...and $150 isnt all that much. Thanks with your help so far. Please post pics of some red cars.