Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Outside (door) mirror glass replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.1L 189CUI
Transmission: 4spd Automatic
Outside (door) mirror glass replacement

Dear forum members!
I got a mirror question.
I have a pair power mirror with broken glass. I can get new from dorman, so i think it wont be problem with the new ones installation. My problem is i just do not know how to get out the broke glass remain parts from the plastic base. Its hardly glued to the weak plastic. And i fear to try to use more force to the screw dr. to do not brake the bases. Also fear to use chemicals, to avoid the melting of the glass's base. I would like to hear a few tip.

Ohh! As i know manual mirrors glass base are different, is it true or it can be interchanged with the power mirrors? Ah and how can i remove them from the mirrors house? Powers's plate simply pull out and pick the cross shaped thing out. Manuals removes other way?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt 3.27 posi
Re: Outside (door) mirror glass replacement

mine was cracked in half but still stuck to the base. I just attached the new glass directly over the old one.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:11 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS (lawn ornament)
Engine: 327 sbc
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: Stock for now

I just did this to both sides of my 89. I busted the glass out with a body hammer and popped out the broken shards with a screwdriver. Its just held in with like black silicone. Be careful cause these cars had like 3 different size mirrors that were only like 1/8th inch different and its hard to measure your stock ones. I ordered them from autozone so if they were the wrong size, i could simply return them. The adhesive they come with sucks. I had to use 3m double sided tape.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:32 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.1L 189CUI
Transmission: 4spd Automatic

The broken (bigger) parts of the glass between the glue points came off relative easily. But where the adhesive is, it wont...

Thanks for the tip! i will take care of the new ones adhesive.

But do not understand what the difference what you are talking about.
I read here in the forum (other topic) the plastic bases has different stud location on their back side depend on year ans assembly plant. And the motor was changed year by year, and some of use different wiring. I run into this problem too. The mirror was worked opposite directions as i press the arrows. (up dn was left and right and so on.) i sent was a big problem, i push back the connector plug wires on the mirror wire, test them for right direction, reassembled, and it works as it should. Just do not understand why not match the colors factory. Lol. But do not bother me. So if we look the glass has the sport type and the Europe version type (Elephant ear) Do not know other 3rd type. I have the sport type and as i know the shape of the glass is unchanged from 82-92 in any fbody with pwr or non pwr mirror. If the glass itself thicker or not is why problem? Or i miss understand something. PS part return won't worth from Hungary