Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Need some opinions on this Maaco estimate...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:24 PM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Car: 86 Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 posi
Need some opinions on this Maaco estimate...

So i decided today to see how much it would cost to have my 86 sport coupe painted. I am doing all the prep work myself, and the only thing the body shop will have to do is tape and spray. So i decided to go over to maaco, just to see what their "best" paint job will cost. I told the guy i was looking for the best quality job they offered. I said i wanted the finish and shine like when it was new.

He quoted me $2,600.00 out the door for their platinum paint job. I told him i was doing all the body work, no door jambs or anything. He said it comes with a 5 year warranty, and obviously is a bc cc finish. He said it includes wet sanding and buffing, as well as painting the grill insert, and head light buckets satin black like original.

This seems really high for a Maaco job. Im going to go to a few independent places next to see what they would charge for the same job. This Maaco shop has a really good reputation and handles a lot of classic cars, so it may be worth it. I know they painted my co workers 93 mustang, and that looks awesome. Just want to get some opinions.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 RS 6spd
Engine: Carbed 357c.i.
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Soon to be Strange S60
Re: Need some opinions on this Maaco estimate...

Originally Posted by mgg4591
So i decided today to see how much it would cost to have my 86 sport coupe painted. I am doing all the prep work myself, and the only thing the body shop will have to do is tape and spray. So i decided to go over to maaco, just to see what their "best" paint job will cost. I told the guy i was looking for the best quality job they offered. I said i wanted the finish and shine like when it was new.

He quoted me $2,600.00 out the door for their platinum paint job. I told him i was doing all the body work, no door jambs or anything. He said it comes with a 5 year warranty, and obviously is a bc cc finish. He said it includes wet sanding and buffing, as well as painting the grill insert, and head light buckets satin black like original.

This seems really high for a Maaco job. Im going to go to a few independent places next to see what they would charge for the same job. This Maaco shop has a really good reputation and handles a lot of classic cars, so it may be worth it. I know they painted my co workers 93 mustang, and that looks awesome. Just want to get some opinions.
That price is pretty decent for them to spray over unknown bodywork, and then still give you a 5 yr warranty. Personally my bodyshop wouldn't touch your car "because" you used a primer and filler materials that weren't of the same family as bc/cc. So to have a warranty makes the whole job worth it.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Ive never heard of anyone guaranteeing a paint job when they were not doing the prep.I watched and helped where I could at my car being prepped for primer,than the primer being prepped for paint. Its not a scuff and shoot.Prep. is what makes or breaks a paint job. That being said $2,600.00 just to tape and shoot is insane.( no door jambs or anything) They better be shooting the best PPG has to offer including the clear. Even then its way to high .Now if they were doing all the prep,primer,paint,clear still with the best PPG has I could see that falling into the $3,000.00 range. Hers what a $ 3,000.00 paint job should look like.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/543541-prep-paint-photos.html

I only use PPG as a reference/example because that's what we used.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 05-15-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:48 AM

$2600 would be a reasonable estimate from a reputable body shop, given the scope of work you describe. Materials are very expensive, and you also described a fair amount of labor for them as well. You said wet-sanding; I assume they mean color-sanding to remove orange peel prior to buffing.

I don't know anything about your MAACO's reputation so it may or may not be out of line. 5 year warranty is also nice. Ask them specifically what is covered and not covered.

There are several steps needed for a top-notch paint job that you may have overlooked. Does your car have no (ZERO) rust, dents, peeling, wrinkles, defects, spray-bomb primered spots? Is it sandable to a dead-smooth and even 600-grit finish? Not likely, which means the car should be epoxy primered and blocked several times to get a paint-ready finish. The car should be sealed to provide even absorption of the base coat.

If you have a picture in your mind of a perfect paint job (I always do!), you really need to consider those steps which will get you there.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 AM

I actually just finished epoxy priming the car yesterday. Gonna start laying down some body filler over the dings, then hit it with a few coats of 2k. Then ill start blocking.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by mgg4591
I actually just finished epoxy priming the car yesterday. Gonna start laying down some body filler over the dings, then hit it with a few coats of 2k. Then ill start blocking.
When you said prep work, you really meant it! Sounds like you'll get the quality job you envision.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 AM

Car: Pontiac 89 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI 5.7L V8

I did my girlfriend Mazda with 2K Materials and equiptment and it came out very nice. The very important and hard part of the paintjob is the prep work so if you are doing that why not paint it yourself.
http://www.facebook.com/rosario.garc...type=1&theater

Last edited by carattini; 05-15-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 AM

Car: 84 SC Camaro (92 Tribute)
Engine: V6
Transmission: M5

Mine was $2500 for their best paint with 5 year warranty but that in included them doing the bodywork + an extra $300 for the two tone. Seems a little high. Might be a difference in my area compared to yours.

Last edited by Coolwheels84; 05-15-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 PM

I would love to paint it myself but i dont have a garage. All the prep work is being done outside. I put a tent up when laying down the primer though. Not too concered about getting bugs in the 2k, as there gonna get sanded out anyway. Would never think about shooting the actual color outside though.