Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Converting thirdgen Camaro into Firebird, possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 5.0L
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Re: Converting thirdgen Camaro into Firebird, possible?

Interesting. Now that is not all that bad of an idea. It looks like all that was replaced was the hood and front bumper with the ground effects.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Camaro rs ( mostly stock for now
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 700r4 with a b&m megashifter.
Axle/Gears: whatever came stock. wanna posi tho

I like the license plate location on the bird rear bumper. Put an electric hatch release and can up a hidden gas door behind the original plate local.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Transmission: Automatic

Originally Posted by Lmancha96
FTMFW! LOL

Last edited by ThePain; 06-09-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 with Eaton posi

I have a better idea...lets take a 69 Camaro and turn it into a 69 Firebird.

Wouldn't that make some heads turn? Jeez..... This is what upsets me most about some 3rd gen owners. Crazy headlight, tail light, and body mods. This is the "jumping the shark" body mod post. Have we really gone this far? Can nobody just take pride in their third gen and restore it? Look at all the COTM winners....no stupid body mods or converting Camaros to Firebirds.

Everyone wants to be so unique in their cars appearance. If you want to be unique with a 3rd gen, spend some money, and fix your door hinges and windows, put in a clean interior, add some subframes, quality suspension, and quality drive train.

Then you WILL be unique....in contrast to most of the POS f-bods I see here due to owners worrying about ridiculous appearance mods instead of performance and a down right tight package on what I think is a well engineered muscle car platform.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 AM

Car: 1986 BBC Iroc
Engine: 454
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by 89-GTA Ragtop
Ok...interesting....I think? As far as the first 2 pics, I believe they were trying to turn a 3rd gen into something that looks like a 1st gen/retro-styling to some degree....at least I hope that's what they were going for. The last one....well, yes it's a Corvette rear end with the Mustang pony, but maybe they were going for that Mustang Mach-III concept car look. Without seeing the front end I can't say for sure. Ok, I was going to put a pic of the Mach-III concept here, but all I had ever seen was the front end of the car, and upon doing an image search I finally saw the back end...nothing like a Vette rear end. I retract my statement about the last pic above, and insert this one, "That is just plain stupid."

the last pic is of a mustang they put corvette tails on you can tell by the dash
Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM

Car: 1989 firebird, 2004 impala

Originally Posted by Matthew91-Z28
I have a better idea...lets take a 69 Camaro and turn it into a 69 Firebird.

Wouldn't that make some heads turn? Jeez..... This is what upsets me most about some 3rd gen owners. Crazy headlight, tail light, and body mods. This is the "jumping the shark" body mod post. Have we really gone this far? Can nobody just take pride in their third gen and restore it? Look at all the COTM winners....no stupid body mods or converting Camaros to Firebirds.

Everyone wants to be so unique in their cars appearance. If you want to be unique with a 3rd gen, spend some money, and fix your door hinges and windows, put in a clean interior, add some subframes, quality suspension, and quality drive train.

Then you WILL be unique....in contrast to most of the POS f-bods I see here due to owners worrying about ridiculous appearance mods instead of performance and a down right tight package on what I think is a well engineered muscle car platform.

the owner is the one who has to look at it every day.
if he wants to put the front end of a dodge neon on it, and paint it to look like a lucky charms box and paint the rims pink, then let him. it won't affect me in any way, and I would hope it doesn't affect you.
would it be more cost effective to just buy a firebird? probably.
maybe he just wants a project to work on.
who knows.
I just don't think you should be so bothered and upset about what somebody else wants to do to their own car while spending their own money.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by bowtietilidie
the owner is the one who has to look at it every day.
if he wants to put the front end of a dodge neon on it, and paint it to look like a lucky charms box and paint the rims pink, then let him. it won't affect me in any way, and I would hope it doesn't affect you.
would it be more cost effective to just buy a firebird? probably.
maybe he just wants a project to work on.
who knows.
I just don't think you should be so bothered and upset about what somebody else wants to do to their own car while spending their own money.
Matthew91-Z28, me, and a few others are worried about what people in general do to third generation F-Bodies because these cars have been abused and ragged on since their existence. It is quite hard and getting increasingly harder to find one in decent condition. Original cars are going for $5,000 and up. I am an avid Craigslist browser, and I sort through TONS and TONS of ragged on wrecks and shells, not to mention those that have become casualties of modification.

These are typical postings that I sift through each day, fresh out of the oven:

I understand it is his money and his car, but we are not ordering him to do anything, just giving our opinions and advice. If he still wants to go through with it, it's his choice.

Apologies for the wall of pics, but who doesn't like pics?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:32 PM

Car: 1989 firebird, 2004 impala

Originally Posted by IW-33
Matthew91-Z28, me, and a few others are worried about what people in general do to third generation F-Bodies because these cars have been abused and ragged on since their existence. It is quite hard and getting increasingly harder to find one in decent condition. Original cars are going for $5,000 and up. I am an avid Craigslist browser, and I sort through TONS and TONS of ragged on wrecks and shells, not to mention those that have become casualties of modification.

I understand it is his money and his car, but we are not ordering him to do anything, just giving our opinions and advice. If he still wants to go through with it, it's his choice.

well after those examples, I completely understand where youre coming from. especially the Georgetown (I think) t-top headliner. I would imagine the owner of that one stopped at walmart one day on the way home from meeting with his parole officer and browsed fabric designs and thought "this would make an awesome headliner!" and then went to town.

I guess some people just care more than others. I love thirdgens and always have, but I see them on the road every day almost, so I don't really think of them as a rarity that should be preserved.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:08 PM

Car: 87 IROC Z, 2010 2LT
Engine: 305 TPI, 3.6 V6
Transmission: 5-Spd, 6-Spd
Axle/Gears: G92 3.45

3rd gens are still cheap and plentiful. Every generation has gone through the "eww, I don't like that" phase, not just ours. I remember what the 70's did to 2nd gens... Jesus H Christ... you wanna feel sad, go look up some of THAT nonsense. Early 4th gens are also taking their lumps right now. It happens to all of em.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:17 PM

I hear that, and I definitely see some bad 4th gens out there. Third gens are just a rarity where I live. Second gens are rare too, but oddly enough first gens are quite common.

And the headliner is the University of Georgia. Georgetown is blue and white.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:35 PM

I hear that, and I definitely see some bad 4th gens out there. Third gens are just a rarity where I live. Second gens are rare too, but oddly enough first gens are quite common.

And the headliner is the University of Georgia. Georgetown is blue and white.
Without fail, every show I got to the generation distribution goes, toss-up between 1st & 5th gen, then 2nd gen, 3rd gen, and then finally 4th gen. The quality of the cars in those groups drops sharply after 1st gens. If it's an open show, Corvettes outnumber everything else by a large margin.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 with Eaton posi

bowtietilidie: What people do their thirdgens does affect you. It affects your cars value. Nobody would do the same thing to a first gen. That's because they are considered classic now and everyone wants a red, pro-touring one and they're going for $40k and up fully restored.

If thirdgen owners treated their cars with a bit more respect it would raise their value.

The third gen f-body minimalist styling with its modified macpherson strut front suspension and 3 link rear end was and still is a thing of beauty. The car had some weak points as far as braking, engine power, and [as convertible owners know] a flimsy body. But all can be remedied.

IW-33, you see what im talking about.

Now that I think of it, maybe we should let all these atrocities happen to let the cream rise about the crop.

And if you don't think I know what Im talking about, I've been a proud owner of my 91 convertible for 13 years....slowly making improvements as money came in, but keeping my vision. I'm not done but have tackles most of the major issues.
Attached Thumbnails Converting thirdgen Camaro into Firebird, possible?-490.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by GPSkinzhut
Without fail, every show I got to the generation distribution goes, toss-up between 1st & 5th gen, then 2nd gen, 3rd gen, and then finally 4th gen. The quality of the cars in those groups drops sharply after 1st gens. If it's an open show, Corvettes outnumber everything else by a large margin.
5th gens and 4th gens outweigh the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens combined at car shows here. 3rd gens are rare, and I see about 1, maybe 2. I don't know why people feel obligated to take their 4th or 5th gen to a car show because there are so flipping many. Same goes for Porsches, Corvettes and Mustangs.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:42 AM

Car: 1986 BBC Iroc
Engine: 454
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I'm a avid no camaro is to far type of guy I was thinking about the red one it comes with alot of aftermarket goodies and the purple one it's only 500 if i remember correctly
Old 06-13-2013, 03:06 PM

5th gens and 4th gens outweigh the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens combined at car shows here. 3rd gens are rare, and I see about 1, maybe 2. I don't know why people feel obligated to take their 4th or 5th gen to a car show because there are so flipping many. Same goes for Porsches, Corvettes and Mustangs.
Personally I don't really care what someone brings to a show to be honest. The only time I get the 'WTF?' face is when, say, a 5th gen with simple bolt-ons is taking trophies over restored cars. I was at a show last year and heard a spectator say "Wow you keep it in good shape". He was talking to a guy with a 5th gen synergy green car. Seriously... how do you not keep a 2-3yr old car in great shape? I hardly ever wash/vac my Cruze and it looks like a gem when I do. That's the only time I get frustrated. Other than that, the more the merrier I always say.