Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Convertible, weak bracket.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible, weak bracket.

I am replacing my convertible top. The upholsterer wants me to get a bracket fixed before he will do the work.

The bracket is only on the driver's side, it connects the first crossmember to the side member. The upholsterer tells me this bracket is supposed to lift the crossmember and provide some tension to the top.

If I remember correctly, the crossmember has always just laid there, it was never lifted up. The bracket seemed as though it was going to lift the crossmember when you began folding the top. It made sure the crossmember folded up not down.

Well, most of the time it jammed and bent up like a pretzel, if you didn't lift the crossmember first.

After replacing it four times, I took it off and left it off, and never noticed a difference.

So, now this bracket is discontinued and no dealer stocks it. I begin my junk yard search tomorrow. But I don't know what a good one looks like, I only have a pretzel.

Does anybody know what this bracket is supposed to do?
Does anybody have one that works for them?

------------------
1988 IROC Convertible
305 TBI
5 spd Manual
Old 07-14-2001, 05:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro Convertible
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
Hey Thor,

I have an 88 Convertible SC, and that cross member is IMPERATIVE. I just had my convertible top placed, and I was lucky enough to have a shop that welded as well, because my top had the same part brake that yours did and mine broke in two! Your top must of been done by ASC. A common recurring theme is that the frames fall apart, all over the place! You wont be able to find any convertible parts in a junk yard, especially for our 88's, if you can, you are a god, and I need to buy some parts from ya :-) The SC is a bit different, as they used a different top, dependent if your car was made the first half of 88 or the second half. (What were they thinking?) If I can answer any other questions email me at robbins1129@aol.com, I would be more than happy to tell you all the convertible part problems I have had, that even included calling england and brazil for parts!
Good luck

James
88 Convertible SC
Old 07-14-2001, 06:16 PM

Engine: TPI
Transmission: Auto
There are several variations in the convertible frames from 1986 to 1992 model years. They got better as they revised them. I have the GM Camaro Parts Book and can look up any part numbers &/or an accurate part name. This will allow you to check with others on whether they have one. My email is SGuckenberg@aol.com.

I have talked to a guy that owns a junkyard in California who is parting out two convertibles. He had an ad in Hemmings Motor News under the Camaro Parts section.

You are definitely NOT going to find one of these convertibles sitting in just any junkyard. When these cars are damaged in a collision and go thru an insurance auction, they are going to be picked up by someone who knows what they are looking at.

Hope this helps.

Steve

'89 IROC Convertible
22 Option Daily Driver