Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

will console out of 4th gen fit 3rd gen ta

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will console out of 4th gen fit 3rd gen ta

i have a 91 trans am just put seats aout of a 98 comero they look great and just ordered my carpet ,when i go to replace carpet i want to redo the console will one out of the newer cars fit it and if so ,firebird and camro or just firebird
Old 03-12-2001, 04:08 PM

I read a post a few days ago about this. It should go in without too much trouble but don't quote me on it.
Old 03-13-2001, 03:32 PM

not if u have power windows! the 4th gen window switch is on the door handle

i was bummed when i found this out

------------------
92 F-BIRd FORMULA T-TOP (WHITEKNIGHT) 5.7L-98,700R4B&MSATURDAY NIGHT
SPECIALTRANS 2500STALL,54MM-AS&M TB-PORTPLENT,LARGETUBRUN,L-98 ALUM. HEADS PORTED
UNDER PULLEYS K&NCOLD AIR KIT,160THERMO,ELDB HEADERS W/3 1/2 Y PIPE 2 RINO CAT 2 4INCH PIPE 2 FLOW,
MSDDIST,6AL,8MMWIRES.
2BLASTERCOIL.ACCELL PLUGS
CUSTOM FASTCHIP BY ED WRIGHT,AUBERN POSI W/ RICHMOND 3.23 AND MOSER AXEL SPLINES CRYGO FROZEN,TUBE FRAME CONNEC
PST KIT.1LE BRAKE KIT! MANY MORE MODS FORESEEN IN MY ERA!13.38ET @ 106.75MPH
Old 03-13-2001, 03:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
Camaro.. not Comero

------------------
1992 Camaro RS
305ci automatic, all stock til I get some cash.
My 1992 RS
Old 03-13-2001, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
I don't understand why all htese people want to put all this 4th gen stuff into their cars???
is it the cupholder thing? i had a 93 camaro with a manual tranny and HATED the F***IN cup holder there cause my girlfriend always had a pop or something there to get in my way when i was shifting!!
I do have 95 Z28 seats in my Formula but that's all...i would not want the dash or console but to each his own i guess.

Why not find a spot in the 4th gen console to put the switches,even in the 3rdgen console it is cut a hair smaler then the switches just push in and clip take on of your old ones out and look at it you'll notice what i mean. you could put them in front of the shifter like where the traction control button on a 4th gen is,or if it's and auto where the 2nd gear start button would go.

------------------
84 FIREBIRD-(undergoing rebuild)2.8 V6,5spd,T-Top
90 Formula Modded 350 TPI T-Top
WANTED:82-84 Firebird 2.5 4cyl,4spd-Just Cause

Previous 3rd gen's
83 Trans-Am 305 CFI auto T-TOP
84 Firebird 305 H.O. auto HARDTOP
87 Firebird 2.8 V-6 auto HARDTOP

[This message has been edited by Dave84Bird (edited March 13, 2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 10:54 PM

Well, it just so happens I've been working on this very thing in my 86 TA. Dave's right. I took the traction control switch box out, cut the bottom off of it, removed the stick onblack 'cover' and cut it to house the switches. I then trimmed the black piece to fit back around the holes and it looks great. Puts the switches in basically the same place. Also, if you have a bird with power mirrors, you're going to have to move the control to the door like in a CamAro. Now, here's the tricky part. If you have a manual car, it's as simple as removing the little tab that sticks off of the front of the 4th gen console and mounting it in. However, in an auto, it's a little trickier. The cable on the shifter is majorly in the way. The ash tray hits it and the top plate of the console simply will NOT mount up. I suppose you could cut the ashtray out (it's molded to the plate), but I don't really like that option. I even considered a 6 speed plate, but the ashtray is still in the same place. Also, I don't think that the stock 3rd gen shifter is going to line up quite right. I bought the 4th gen and was going to try it (you have to make a tiny mod to get it to go all the way down to 1st gear, no biggie), but it isn't a direct bolt-in on the third gen tunnel. I am considering using a 6 speed top plate with an aftermarket shifter of some sort. Ideas are welcome. I have invested many hours into getting REALLY close, but not quite making it happen. Once I start messing with it again, I WILL make it work eventually. If there aren't already answers out there, I'll make sure I post it. Good luck!

------------------
R.C. Righter
86 Trans Am
Old 03-14-2001, 07:27 AM

well my carpet will be hear tonight they ill get started thats what i was planing to put window switches in traction controll spot and since i dont use the ash tray putting mirror control there,R.C.RIGHT how extly did you mount the window switchs and what am im going to have to do take mount the console so car will go into 1st,thanks for any help
Old 03-14-2001, 08:29 AM

Alright ... for the window switches, the traction control switch is actually a 'box'. There's not much in it, just a circuit board up near the top. You'll figure it out. I cut the bottom of the box off and removed the circuit board. There was a little extra work needed to remove the 'tube' for the light to shine through, etc, but I got it hollowed out. Then, I removed the 'skin' that was over the top of it (stenciled to say 'traction control') ... it just peeled off. I used a razor knofe to cut the top of the box the right size for the window switches and trimmed and reinstalled the skin to make it look good. You'll get it, it just takes a little patience.

It's not the console that needs rework for 1st gear (I'm talking about an automatic), it's the 4th gen shifter. I tried to use it to make everything work. There's a little plastic tab that prevents the shifter from going all the way back to 1st gear. I just trimmed it off and all was well.

------------------
R.C. Righter
86 Trans Am
Old 03-14-2001, 12:50 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
I have a 86 Trans am with an automatic transmission. I bought a '93 Trans Am console for a 6 spd standard ($43.00). It bolts right up with little work. The front mounting tab was cut off to ease installation.

As for the switches, it is true that there isnt really a lot of room to mount anything. What I did was remove the ash tray and fab up a plate and mounted my window switches in there. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with the power mirror switch. ( do i care...not really)

I myself think it cool to upgrade your car with stuff that maybe wasnt available back in 86. My console may have looked good back in 86 but now the vinyl is seperating.

I've never been much for keeping my car stock, I thought this post was about asking if it fits, not why are we doing it!

YES it fits, and Yes it looks cool, It looks even better sitting between my vette seats.

goes good with my fourth gen wing.

------------------
1986 Black & Gold WS6
Trans AM...The Muscle Car Lives
...Its just not at home at the moment...

Nosaints Coolzone
Old 03-15-2001, 04:18 PM

well i tried the console and i cant seem to get it to work the auto shifter grts in the way total even after i cut off the tap that was in the way did you put the shifter out of a 4th gen in?thanks for any info
Old 03-16-2001, 09:47 AM

That's what I've been saying ... the shifter cable hits the ashtray. The one guy didn't have a problem because it sounds like he removed the ashtray and fabbed a plate for the window switches. As for the mirrors, get a harness out of a camaro and mount it in the driver's door where the camaros were originally.

------------------
R.C. Righter
86 Trans Am
Old 03-16-2001, 10:29 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dave84Bird:
I don't understand why all htese people want to put all this 4th gen stuff into their cars???
</font>
I like the modern look of the fourth gen interior, but I think the third gen body is nicer. What could be better than combining the two?
Old 03-16-2001, 01:41 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by R.C. Righter:
the shifter cable hits the ashtray. The one guy didn't have a problem because it sounds like he removed the ashtray and fabbed a plate for the window switches
</font>
I have no problems like that what so ever. They key I guess is mines an auto and the console (93 trans am) was a 6 spd. The ashtray in or out had no clearance problems.

What consoles are u using and what transmission? Mine has no traction control switch. U can see a pic of it on my site under "zone"

I was at the junkyard yesterday and i got a little power mirror switch out of a Mazda MX6 i think. It's a lot smaller than the stock one and should let me mount it somewhere....I hope.

------------------
1986 Black & Gold WS6

Nosaints Coolzone
Old 03-16-2001, 05:01 PM

not teont to be rude but i like the 4th gen stuff in my car and unless your driveing my car dont worry about it,

othanks to the people tring to help me the ashtry isnt realy in the way i already cut it out.i have a auto tranny and the console is auto it looks like the auto shifter in my car is to tall ,it hits the console when i tri to set it down
Old 06-14-2001, 07:44 PM

Sorry its taken so long to get some pics.
Here they are.

------------------
1986 Black & Gold WS6

Nosaints Coolzone
Old 06-14-2001, 07:45 PM

Sorry its taken so long to get some pics.
Here they are.

------------------
1986 Black & Gold WS6

Nosaints Coolzone