Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

A few prep & paint questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23
A few prep & paint questions.

I'm going to paint my 92 RS urethane Hot Rod satin black, single stage 2 coats. My car is gloss black now and has had one respray from what I can see, there is some surface rust and dings that need to be removed and smoothed out as well as some light damage on the drivers door and fender. My rear bumper cover has a large crack in it so I got a used one that has a crappy yellow respray-some chips and alot of spider cracks. My front cover and GFX are in good shape, but the front cover has a few spots where the paint is chipped down to the urethane. The main quetsion is how picky to I need to be on the prep work, such as the spider cracks and such since the car will be satin black? I want the car to look good, but it's not going to be a show car, just a cool driver that has to live outside most of the time, but never driven in the winter. This is a budget project car. The body work I know more about, but it's the bumper covers that i'm kinda lost on, I have read alot on here, but not many are going stain black and I know stain does not show flaws as bad.

I have started to hand sand the rear cover since it's off the car, but have not hit it with the DA yet.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 PM

Car: 91 z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42
Re: A few prep & paint questions.

I would recomend against satin due to the facts that it is not buffable and will loose "luster" over time. But to each his own. You may do some research on "matte" clears. I would go gloss black.

This is how I would do the car. Dissasemble the car. If you choose to not do engine bay, leave it alone, at a minimum do underside of hood, hinges. Soda and media blast the all panels. The plastic parts will have to use soda blasting. Rust, dent, plastic repair. Mask, Epoxy prime, High build prime, 220 blocking. Remask, Reprime high build, 400 blocking. Remask, sealer (black for black), x# of basecoats, (x# of clear coats, if applicable). Color sand and buff for non-satin,non-flat colors.

Prep work is everything. Since its had a respray and rust issues, I would highly recomend taking all old materials off and start fresh. Follow my advice and you will have a show car.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:12 AM

Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: 350tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, unsure of gears yet

Personally, I'd go ahead and sand the bumpers right down, take out the spider cracks completely. That much of it is more time than anything else.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by camarotucker
I would recomend against satin due to the facts that it is not buffable and will loose "luster" over time. But to each his own. You may do some research on "matte" clears. I would go gloss black.

This is how I would do the car. Dissasemble the car. If you choose to not do engine bay, leave it alone, at a minimum do underside of hood, hinges. Soda and media blast the all panels. The plastic parts will have to use soda blasting. Rust, dent, plastic repair. Mask, Epoxy prime, High build prime, 220 blocking. Remask, Reprime high build, 400 blocking. Remask, sealer (black for black), x# of basecoats, (x# of clear coats, if applicable). Color sand and buff for non-satin,non-flat colors.

Prep work is everything. Since its had a respray and rust issues, I would highly recomend taking all old materials off and start fresh. Follow my advice and you will have a show car.

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm not looking for even close to a show car with this one, the car has to live outside under a cover, it's a v6 hard top, not really a car I want to do a crazy build on, just a driver and get the body stright. Yeah I'm torn as the car looks good in glass black, but at the same time I hate taking care of gloss black and I have wanted a satin black car for a long time.

The piont of my questions is I know what it takes to get a car show looking, been there done that, but was wanting to know how picky I would have to be just to have a nice lookng car in satin black as satin is alot more forgiving. This is kind of a budget build if you will.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you think you could post a picture of the rust on your camaro so i know what im working with? i picked up a 91 rs tbi last sunday and im wondering if the rust is fixable, its almost through the first layer but not any comments on that let me know ?? and dark colors bring out flaws in cars light colors hide flaws just a little tip my grandpa told me, im painting my camaro pearl white or just all white
Old 02-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1971 Camaro
Engine: 427
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.73

A paint job is only as good as whats under it.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1971 Camaro
Engine: 427
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by 616trillacamaro
do you think you could post a picture of the rust on your camaro so i know what im working with? i picked up a 91 rs tbi last sunday and im wondering if the rust is fixable, its almost through the first layer but not any comments on that let me know ?? and dark colors bring out flaws in cars light colors hide flaws just a little tip my grandpa told me, im painting my camaro pearl white or just all white
Yes, dark colors highlight flaws, but so does pearl.

How about starting a thrread and post pics of your rust you are concerned about?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

There are no holes or even close to holes on my car, just some bubbles around the rear wheel well lips, a new small bubbles here and there and some surface rust under the rear of the door handles. The are some dings and dents as well. I'm going to do the best job I can as if I get sick of the stain black or I sell the car the satin would make a nice base for gloss black. The underside of my car is very clean, same with the door jams and under the hood. The car has been painted before. The car was stored in the winters so not sure why there is so much surface rust on it?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM

if i have rust somewhat to this extent on my fenders is it fixable with duraglass i dont want to use bondo just because it looks bad? any response would be appreciated
i know this isnt a third gen either i just dont have pics of my rs to show and this is the closest math of the rust i could find
Old 02-22-2013, 01:40 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

If it looks like that, replace the fender!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 616trillacamaro
if i have rust somewhat to this extent on my fenders is it fixable with duraglass i dont want to use bondo just because it looks bad? any response would be appreciated
i know this isnt a third gen either i just dont have pics of my rs to show and this is the closest math of the rust i could find
I know your new here, but it's not nice to thredjack someones thred. Ok with that being said if your rust is that bad on the front fenders then get replacement fenders, if the rust is that bad out your 1/4's you could glass them, but really the bad metel needs to be cut out and good metal welded in. My car is just bubbles under the paint, the 1/4 lips are rock solid and no rust on the under side of them so I can get alway with sanding and maybe just a skim coat to make sure they are nice and smooth. I would never have bought my car if the rust was any worse.