Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Rental workspaces?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rental workspaces?

Hey all,

So, this is something I hope to just get a basic idea of from asking fellow TGO members who do their own body work. I've come to a crossroads of sorts with my project. I began some body work on my '91 bird for a hobby auto body class last summer. Since the fall, it has been in storage, as I have nowhere else to leave the car in it's in-progress state. That, and due to other circumstances in life, I had to put the project on hold for several months.

Now that I'm looking to get involved w/third gen stuff again, I have a serious question that may determine whether I continue on this specific car, or if the time has come to sell it and start with a different one. Are there rental auto workspaces available, and about how much do they run on average? I know that there are rental spray booths available, but the '91 definitely needs more than just a quick paint job.

Because I'll be living in an apartment, I will have, at best, a garage/storage unit to leave the '91 in, but no workspace of my own. Continuing to take hobby credits at the local community college body shop isn't a practical option, as I will possibly be moving further away from it in the near future due to a new job, and that method could get too expensive, too quickly. The hobby classes are more of a summer quarter thing anyway that they don't usually have space for at other times.

Just need some advice from others who may have been in, or know someone who's been in a situation similar to mine. I have friends/other ways to find a spot to do stuff like a motor swap and mechanical work, but I just don't have any known connections for a cheap/free spot where I have the space/resources to do lots of panel disassembling/straightening, and spraying. So I need to figure out if it's practical for me to continue on this car, or find a cleaner car to go with instead.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Black Irocz28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3:73 richmend axles and eaton gears
Re: Rental workspaces?

What is your location ??? Any pics of the car ??? I understand cheep...but...cheep means not the best of neighborhoods...look on Craigslist or papaer to see if anyone wants to rent there garage out...and if so put pen to paper on what the agreement is...you dont want to show up one day and your car and tools are gone...and dont forget the wireless cameras to your cell phone....
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm out in western WA, in the greater Seattle/Tacoma-metro area. Knock on wood, I may have possibly found a spot I will be able to continue working on the car in the near future in, if all plays out right (through a friend). It'd be a suitable enough spot to disassemble parts and do prep-work at least. But I should probably still keep a plan B and plan C in mind.

I don't have any good pics of the car atm, but can probably take some later this week or next week.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: L31
Transmission: 700R4

I've seen guys rent out storage units and use them as a workshop. It might be just the ticket.