Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Is it possible to replace my 91 airbag steering wheel with a Grant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 11:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to replace my 91 airbag steering wheel with a Grant?

Is it possible? How difficult is it to do? Will I need an adaptor kit?

Anyone have pics of Grant wheels in our cars?
thanks

------------------
91 Formula
305 TPI 5speed
1LE/G92/WS6

Paxton SN92 polished kit, SLP airfoil, ported/polished plenum, March pulleys, Crane AFPR(43psi),Crane Gold 1.6rrs,MSD coil,MSD6AL,MSD boost-master,Holley 9mm wires,Ac delco R43ts plugs,custom chip,Ford SVO 24# injectors,Bosch O2sensor, Bosch in-line pump(w/stock pump), SLP 1 5/8" headers,SLP catback,short shifter,3:73s w/Auburn posi,170* t-stat,JET 195* fan switch, Macewen white face gauges, Autometer gauges, Zoom hi-performance clutch.
Old 02-26-2001, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 5.7 liter
Transmission: 700R4
yea formula I would like to know that also..

------------------
I have experience...unfortunatly,its a result of bad judgement.
click below to check out MY FORMULA PAGE!
http://www.formula350.com

or click below to email me
astralbaby11@hotmail.com
Old 02-26-2001, 01:31 AM

That's a shot of Sinister1's 92 T/A. I don't know if he's on here, but if you have questions, I know he's on 3rdgen.org and Nethirdgen.org.

------------------
...:::WS-666:::...

Yeah--that's right...
Old 02-26-2001, 04:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: Built 383 TPI
Transmission: Built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt, 3.27:1 Posi
Hey, I've got that steering wheel in two of my cars. So much for originality. But for the air bag, BE CAREFUL!!! When I used to reposess cars, we had to remove steering wheels all the time, and you really don't want that thing blowing up in your face. I have seen this happen. Disconnect the battery before you begin.

------------------
'82 Firebird, dead stock, 9 bolt disc rear, over 200,000 miles and still going strong, more to come...
http://www.spinfrenzy.com/stingerssx...easures.html#4
Old 02-26-2001, 09:17 AM

Yes, possible and easy (at least for me). I installed their "security" steering wheel several years ago on my 1991 Z28. I don't know what, if any, differences there are between a 91 Firebird and a 91 Camaro, but the following applies to a '91 Z28.

You'll need a steering wheel puller (two bolt type to pull the original GM, and a three bolt type to pull the Grant if you so desire later on...) as well as the Grant adapter (see below).

I seem to remember a tech article on removing the air bag at this site a while ago. As posted above, remember to disconnect the battery before removing the air bag. That will reduce the risk of the air bag exploding while disoconnecting it. Then remove the two wires going to the airbag at the steering column. In mine, there was a yellow connector that is quite different from the rest of the electrical connectors you'll see elsewhere in the car because those connections (air bag circuitry) need to be secure and reliable. The two wires (mine are black and white) are in a yellow sleeve I removed from the column by pulling it from the steering wheel side. I cut off the connector to make removal fast and easy, since there is not enough room for it to go pass through the column unless you remove the plastic lower cover. If you anticipate replacing the factory steering wheel later, you'll probably want to remove the wire intact, with the connector, to make re-assembly easier.

Grant has the adapter kit to fit on the steering wheel shaft for a 1991 GM. If I remember correctly, they don't sell a kit identifying models that use an air bag, doubtlessly for liability reasons. Not to worry - just use a kit for a year closest to '91 (whatever the last year for non-airbag steering wheels was). The steering wheel shaft is the same size. I think it's their most popular model.

Don't forget to remove the "check air bag" light from behind the instrument panel, unless you want to see it illuminated all the time (since you've disconnected it!).

[This message has been edited by Stuart Moss (edited February 26, 2001).]
Old 02-26-2001, 10:43 AM

hey guys i thought it was illegal to remove the airbag on a vehicle equipped with one?
Old 02-26-2001, 08:40 PM

For mine, I needed a washer in order to keep it from rubbing.

------------------
1991 Firebird Formula
305 TPI
Auto
K&N Filter
Grant GT Steering Wheel
5% Rear tint
Pontiac Windshield Decal
No real mods yet!

Former owner of an 88 2.8 Firebird....RIP
Old 02-27-2001, 09:05 AM

I don't believe that its illegal to remove/disable the air bag. I think the confusion comes from service shops that refuse to do so because of liability reasons.

On a similar note, there was a lot of hoopla (is that a word?) about people wanting to disconnect, often via a toggle switch so it could be activated/disactivated, passenger side air bags for fear of hurting/killing a small passenger. There are some people that don't want a drivers side air bag for the same reason - smaller people are at more risk of being injured from an air bag because the they are farther away than a larger person is.

Along the same line as the previous post using a washer to space the steering wheel away from the column - I just sanded down the metal cover that is immediately below the steering wheel because it was slightly rubbing against the plastic column. Only had to take off a couple thousanths of an inch.