Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Is it safe to Install a Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2001, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it safe to Install a Sunroof?

Hello, My car is a 91 hardtop and I really wish I had t-tops. So I was wondering if it is possible to install a full power moonroof? If so, will it weakin the structure to much and would sub frame conectors fix that? Help please?

------------------
Jay 91 Z28
Old 02-12-2001, 03:44 PM
TGO Supporter

Subframe connectors would help out some in that situation. But it would still greatly weaken the body and create much more flex. Some even say that would be worse than t-tops, because t-tops came built in with a little bit extra support to help stiffen it up.
Old 02-13-2001, 07:05 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
A sunroof would be much worse. Think about it. There's a beam that runs front to back in the roof, which would have to be cut to install a sunroof. I think that would seriously weaken the car!

Besides, it seems sunroofs and T-tops always leak.

------------------
86 Sport Coupe, 2.8 V6, dead stock, but not for long!

"Little girls play with ponies!"
www.geocities.com/camman86
Rock fans click the secret link on my site!
Old 02-13-2001, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '88 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 (5.7 TPI)
Transmission: auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt L.S.
My '88 Firebird Formula 350 hardtop has a sunroof for more than 10 years now,no problems at all!
Old 02-13-2001, 05:14 PM

You would lose a lot of structual integrity by doing so. That is why some people (myself included) would never even consider an F-body with T-tops. Convertibles had to be greatly reinforced for the same reason.

Since there is no full frame, it is more prone to twisting, and without a full top to aid in body strength, cracks often appear, especially with a powerful engine (V8).

If you don't see any cracks, either you're really lucky or (more than likely) you don't have a V8 or drive it gently.

Also, I have yet to see an opening (T-top, sun roof, moon roof, whatever you want to call it) that doesn't have a problem with leaking or sealing.

I'm sure I could think of more reasons if I applied myself.

But to answer your question "is it safe?", I'd would say it is not any more dangerous than having a full top. If done properly, I don't think that you'd have to worry about the car coming apart. Just be prepared for some headaches later (cracks/sealing/etc.).

Old 02-13-2001, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Personally i don't like sunroofs. On some cars they look alright, but i personally think that any fbody looks silly. I have a hardtop car and it will stay that way. If i want t-tops(leaky crappy things) i would have bought one with them. Granted they are nice in the summer but hell any other time.

But its entirely up to you, i agree with the previous post about gettings some subframe connectors. They will definatly compensate for the roof hole. Same way they would help on a vert or t-top car.

Brendan

------------------
1987 IROC-Z L98 350 SuperRam, Edelbrock Performer 6085 Aluminum Heads, LPE RollerCam 219/219, Crane Gold Race 1.6RR, TF 1 pc Moly Pushrods, Underdrive Pulleys, Edelbrock TPI High Flow Base Manifold, Accel 58mm TB, ADS 24#, Crane AFPR, K&N, Edelbrock TES Headers, Catco Hi Flow Cat, 3" Borla Cat-Back, Accel Cap & Rotor, MSD 8.5mm, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coil, Hayes Clutch, 1LE Aluminum DS, 94' Z28 Disk Rear, Wilwood Adjustable Proportioning Valve, Torsen Series 3 Posi Carrier, Precision 3.73 Gears, Southside Machine Sub-Frame Connectors, Hotchkis Lower Control Arms, KYB Shocks/Struts, Suspension Techniques Lowering Springs, Polyurethan Bushings all over the place, Moog Upper/Lower Ball joints and Tie Rods ends/Idler Arm,

To see the ROC, Check out the webpage Here
Old 02-14-2001, 03:25 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While personally I wouldn't do it either, because they're tacky and prone to leaks, someone earlier said something that made a lot of sense: If you get to the point where you flip the car you're screwed anyway.
Otherwise the only other reasons you would consider structural compromise would be for twisting from torque or spirited driving, and I would think weld-in SFCs would balance out what a sunroof would take away. BTW a moonroof is not the same thing as a sunroof.
Old 02-14-2001, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '88 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 (5.7 TPI)
Transmission: auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt L.S.
I have a V-8,I drive it VERY hard,often on German, no speedlimit, autobahns.
NO twisting NO cracks and YES a sunroof,without leaks, even after 10 years of hard use!
So it is very well possible.
Any comments?
Old 02-14-2001, 04:04 PM

Comments? Sure.

I don't think anyone was stating that it always creates problems, only that the likelyhood for problems is increased.

You don't have to believe anyone from this site about it. I would suggest that someone seriously considering such a move (to cut a large hole in his/her F-body roof), to go to a GM dealer, and ask some people in the service area about it. You may even want to ask at some reputable body shops about the problems indicated in this thread.

While I'm certainly not an authority on the subject by any means, I am only speaking from the experiences I have heard from others that have a hole in their roof (T-tops).

I have only heard one person say that there were no problems with leaking/sealing/cracks (and that person lives in the Netherlands). By no means am I (we) saying that it isn't possible, only that it's rare not to have problems.

A GM service center or body shop should be a good source of information. Make a post if you get information from them.

[This message has been edited by Stuart Moss (edited February 14, 2001).]
Old 02-14-2001, 05:00 PM

Hey its me..... No, don't worry, I love my car and was just curious? Like when you think to yourself? I thought it would weaken the car to much but also thought it could be stiffened up easily.....And if I were to do it, I would take it to the finest installer I could..... Oh and yes I know there is a difference between a little rinky sunroof and a full power moonroof........ Thanks for the replies....
Old 02-15-2001, 12:24 PM

Dont do it man!!! My cars' previous owner of my 85 bird installed a sunroof on it, I'm removing it and having a steel patch welded in. There are LEAKS man!!! There are squeaks and there is nothing I can do about it. Just dont, I also have an '81 berlinetta with t-tops, It leaks and squeaks as well. My brother has a 97 Civic(***** B*tch) with a sunroof and guess what?.............thats right LEAKS AND SQUEAKS!!!
Old 02-17-2001, 11:47 AM

I've got an 86 Bird, i bought with aftermarket t-tops, luckily i have no problems with leaking, but have been told that if not installed correctly, will cause structual weekness, and would be a good idea to add some support Ie. subframe support..I also had another 86 bird ( may it rest in peace )With t-tops from the factory, they also did'nt leak....some people have problems with leaks, others do not, some people like them, some people do not, it is all in your preference..