Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Here's a source for power window motors

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2001, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a source for power window motors

There's a long thread going about slow power windows. Mine are slow to the point of death, so I'm going to replace the motors. I was told to stay away from used ones because they won't last as long and installing them is not a job you want to do over and over, so I'm going to use factory GM-Delco motors.

But they are expensive - as much as $160 retail each, and over $100 wholesale. Ouch.

I found a company that lists new GM power window motors on eBay. I went to their website, but couldn't find an address or phone number to call. So I did some searching and tracked them down to Seminole, Florida. They couldn't believe I found them. I talked to Scott, the owner, for a while on the phone. I checked BBB and other sources on line, and they appear to be a real business. They are at www.powerupauto.com if you're curious.

They sell GM 3d gen window motors for $65 each including shipping. If you happen to get them cheaper on eBay, they will sell you for the cheaper price. I just bought two at $41 each. He says he buys bulk and the GM mark-up is huge, which is why he can sell them cheaply. We'll see....

Either I got a great deal or I am a sucker who just got hosed. I'll find out in a week or so and let you know. If the motors are okay I will post here and let you know. If anyone wants more 411 in the meantime, LMK.

Dan Kagan
1992 Firebird convertible
1967 Firebird convertible
Old 02-12-2001, 08:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts
Generally the remanned window motors at the parts stores are about $25 each after you give the core. When you go to install the motors there's an extremely easy way to save yourself a world of PITA. Get yourself a 3/8" drill bit, feel around inside the door for the rivets that hold the motor to the regulator. They'll be behind the doors sheetmetal and the access holes won't be large enough to reveal them. Anyway just drill access holes using your 3/8" bit and then you can drill out the rivets. That way you don't need to remove the regulator, so you don't need to worry about dropping the window or any of that nonsense. Also it doesn't damage structural regidity and its covered by the door panel. It took me roughly 20 minutes to do mine in this manner, my only problem was getting the nuts and bolts they provide into the correct location.

------------------
Drew
The lone Thirdgenner of the Apocalypse
predatorman@hotmail.com
My Website
87 Iroc
91 Formula 14.3@98mph
91 RS Convertible
91 Firebird V6FOR SALE!
92 S10FOR SALE!
98 Grand Am GT
Old 02-12-2001, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drew, that's great info, I'll keep in mind.

I had heard the quality of the remanufactured units can be spotty, that's why I decided to go with GM originals (especially at that price).