Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

steering column busted

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001 | 06:54 PM

steering column busted

My car was broken into, thanks for the pass-key, who ever tried could not take the car, but left my steering column broken up.

The column is broken off on the left side of the column, right behind the ignition mechanism. Now the high beam actuator does not work, in other words the actual lever is loose, within the column. There is a small metal spring/pin like piece exposed, I tried to figure out how it could fit into the column housing in order to perhaps make the high beam work, but have been unsuccessful.

I have a 1989 formula.

Please let me no what you think
Old 01-19-2001 | 09:12 PM

I don't know about fixing it but if you cant, I have an 87 camaro column sitting around that Id be willing to part with for cheap. I dont know what shipping would cost though. Just a thought.
Old 01-19-2001 | 09:46 PM

sorry to hear your car was broken into your lucky they did know what they were doing or it would be gone. the vats can be defeated by attacking the vats module in the dash. Your singal switch is broken and will need to be replaced. along with the piece of junk plastic steering column cover that covers the gearset and start rods in the back of your ignition lock. hopefully they did not break your window, all they do is pull the window away from the car and stick thier arm in to unlock the door.(unless you have the factory alarm stickers on the car then they break the window and crawl in without opening the door so the alarm don't go off.) chances are they will be back and attack your vats box to get the car. you should get a steel collar clamp that raps around the entire steering column incuding where the tilt part is or get a steadfast steel steering column. I know they sell them at advace lock and key on hylan blvd in staten island ny. (I lived on staten island till 1993). I had a buick Grandnational from 1987-1993 and drove it all over NYC installing this collar every time I got out of the car. the car thief hates those collars

------------------
3.8 turbo 20th anniversary transam #497 first owed by Clifford Williams, Bass player from rock band AC/DC
Old 01-20-2001 | 10:42 AM

Thank you for your replies

Just to clearify one thing, my turn signals are not broken, they work fine, it is the high beam switch mechanism that does not function. As I've written earlier there is a small pin like part, that is loose within the casing, I have all the broken off pieces, so perhaps I can glue it back together, but I need to know how to reconnect this pin like item, or whatever else I need in order to reposition the turn signal switch, so that the high beams can work.

Thank you for mentioning about the used column, for sale I will consider it, and I will definitely look into purchasing a steering column shield, How much are they?
Which particular brand is recommended for this particular auto?

thanks again