Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

hatch motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hatch motor

the hatch motor on my 87 iroc is continuosly buzzing, it doesnt move anything up or down , it was all the way up , and i could latch my hatch but it was barely closed (u could lift up on it an inch and a half) so someone told me maybe the worm gear was driven up to far, and not contacting anything, so i disassembled the motor and put it in the lowest position, reassembled, and put it back in, now it still does the same thing, the motor just runs and doesnt do anything, the gears inside look ok and it never did this before. anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, if i cant figure it out im just gonna set the motor at the right height and use it like a regular latch, i have the motor unplugged for now to keep from burning it out and draining my battery, thanks in advance.

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI 5spd Borg warner 9-bolt 3.45 posi 4 wheel disc,8.8 Accel wires , bosch platinum +4 plugs,gutted air box,k&n oil filter,synthetic oil 10w30
Old 12-22-2000, 01:31 AM

c mon guys some one has to have an idea on this from what i hear everyone has problems with these damn hatch motors, somebody help me out
Old 12-22-2000, 09:22 AM

Easiest thing is set it to a good closed height, then disconnect it. The trunk release would still work, the hatch just wouldnt raise and lower, and youd have to close the hatch harder.

However, if you insist on fixing it, you're probably looking at the plastic gear being broken. Pull the whole assembly out of the car (PITA) and disect it. It is a very simple mechanism. You will quickly see what is broken or needs replacing. Also, be careful w/ the big self-taping bolts. l cracked the housing on mine. Nice and expensive.

There you go.

Good luck
Old 12-23-2000, 07:59 AM

Thanks for your input im going to go and take it out and try to fix it or just get it the right height, again in a few minutes, and since it is 5 degrees here in pa. im gonna be doing a very fast job of that. if any body else has any ideas feel free to post them , thanks guys!

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI 5spd Borg warner 9-bolt 3.45 posi 4 wheel disc,8.8 Accel wires , bosch platinum +4 plugs,gutted air box,k&n oil filter,synthetic oil 10w30
Old 12-27-2000, 11:27 PM

My motor's busted, but the lock still works, only problem is the hatch has about 1" of play when closed...which equals mad leakage, which equals rusty tools, rotting floorpans, ruined manuals/flashlights/etc., and most annoyingly the moisture fogs the crap out of the back window making it impossible to see and it doesn't go away without an ice scraper on the INSIDE - so I took it to a mechanic and he said he tied the motor down to a tight closed position, but in a couple days it was back the same way it was before...I expect these stupid motors are way expensive...but I really am sick of all my stuff getting wet...how do I fix this?