Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

How to fix exposed bolt holes in body w/out new paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2000, 08:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to fix exposed bolt holes in body w/out new paint job?

without it looking completely crappy. Obviously I don't expect it to flawless, but I don't want it to scream hack job from 50 yards away. I can't afford to do a proper fix/paintjob right now...and probably not for a long time.

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports
Old 12-27-2000, 09:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Bondo! the magic cure all
Really though,, if it's a sort of temporary fix until better, use some body filler on them. If you have access to the backside of the holes (this will sound hack but,,,) put some 2" masking tape on that side,, rough a small area around (don't have to go to bare metal)the hole w/some 80grit paper and fill the hole with body filler (Evercoat is a better body filler than Bondo to use in this case).
Sand the area smooth & flush(try not to get to carried away with sanding the surrounding paint).
Tape off the surrounding area larger than the spot (3-5" bigger)
Prime, just spotting the bondo, doing your best not to overdo painting/overspraying the surrounding paint.
Peel the tape & sand, with 4oo grit, the primed area and getting any overspray too.
Use Duplicolor & find the closest color match
Wipe down area (sanded and non sanded)to paint with alcohol or a thinner to remove dirt.
Paint area covering sanded and overspraying some to non sanded areas
Color sand with 1000 grit paper to blend paint smoothe and rub out to desired shine.

Alot of work for a small problem

It's that or go get some similar paint,, tape over outside hole and paint the tape (yes I've see that done )

------------------
Da Boid

- 4 out of 5 people think the 5th is an idiot