Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Best way to keep mice away during storage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2000, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: W/C T-5
Axle/Gears: 9 BOLT 3.45 POSI
Best way to keep mice away during storage?

I was thinking about put moth ***** around the car,under the hood and somehow in the exaust, maybe with a sock. CAn moth ***** screw up the paint?

------------------
86Z28, GM 350, Jet perf Q-jet & chip Dual snorkel air cleaner, Edelbrock performer intake, Edelbrock headers, Edelbrock cat-back, Off road pipe, MSD 6AL, Accel Super Coil, Taylor Spiro-pro wires, Rapid fire plugs, Jet fan switch, World class t-5, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Ram Flywheel, Center force dual friction clutch,Aluminum drive shaft, BW disc rear 3.45's & a posi, PBR calipers, Earls braided brake lines, Polygrapite bushings all the way around, poly tranny mount & torque arm mount, Hotchkis lower control arms & panhard rod, Rancho limiter straps, KYB struts & shocks, Gm Wonderbar, Edelbrock strut tower brace, SSM sub frame connectors, Jamex lowering springs, Carbon metallic brake pads, Crossed drilled rotors, Mobil 1 Tranny fluid & motor oil, GM syntheic rear end oil, K&N, Grant stering wheel, 1,200 watt system, Jet Black Paint, 91 Z28 rims, 92 wing, Tinted windows.
Old 11-06-2000, 09:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
I don't know if they would or not, but when you're at WalMart picking up your mothballs see if they have any cheap plastic ashtrays to put them in, and you won't have to worry about it.

------------------
1984 Silver Z28, 383 cid 4 bolt, ARP Fasteners, 2 1/2" Cowl Induction Hood, 600 cfm Performer Carburetor, Torker II Intake, Performer RPM Heads, XE268H Cam, Magnum Roller Tip Rockers, MSD6AL Ignition, Blaster2 Coil, Recurved HEI Distributor, 700R4, TransGo SK, 2.73:1 Limited Slip Dana 44, Terminator Headers, Custom 3" TIG Welded Stainless Exhaust, Flo-Pro Twister Muffler, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes, Oil Cooler
Old 11-07-2000, 06:57 PM

mouse traps

------------------
"Ever notice how imports sound like weedwackers"
Old 11-08-2000, 07:50 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
357 Magnum with a Laser scope.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 11-08-2000, 11:54 AM

Get a big orange cat, and name it Killer

------------------
"Ever notice how imports sound like weedwackers"
Old 11-08-2000, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

Ya see, watcha gotta do.....

Watcha gotta doo.....
Eeeh nutz to this, get the magnum

LoL... and about the weedwacker quote, i just run at their cars with friends doing a high pitched golf cart sound... roughly the same thing....

------------------
91 FireBird 305 V-8
no true mods,
ghetto rigged cold air intake,
People dont have a soul, its just something parents made up to frighten little children, like the boogie man, or micheal jackson..."

GheTTo Riggers INC.
We Make Mcgyver look Like Crap
Old 11-24-2000, 10:28 AM

Dont use moth *****, the smell will stick around forever! For the interior, throw some Bounce fabric softener sheets in different areas. Apparently mice dont like the smell.You could probably put some under the hood, and maybe plug different openins with them, just remember where you put them.
Old 11-24-2000, 11:12 AM

tisk tisk first of what car are u neglecting road privileges from?..and if its a fbody like i think it is....WHY..are u "storing"the car?....what did it do wrong?..... the cat idea is the best one...
Old 11-24-2000, 11:12 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
snakes are way better than cats for killing mice. a snake would create a new problem though wouldn't it?

------------------
-=ICON MOTORSPORTS=-
1st & 3rd
Old 11-25-2000, 04:02 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
these cars are old enough now that they deserve to take long knaps periodically.
Old 11-25-2000, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
one word, DECON, works great, just follow the instructions on the box...

later,

------------------
MÅN¡ÅÇ ©
88 IROC 5.7L,edelbrock TES,random tech cat,borla exhaust,chip,sfc,accel wires,airfoil,k&n's,ETC..
and soon to be supercharged
http://maniac.megamania.com
Old 11-28-2000, 05:58 PM

Car: 1985 Z-28
Engine: a big one
Transmission: 4 spd auto soon to be a 6 speed
alright here is what you do. get a couple of cats, alright. then after that, get a couple more, alright. put them into a garage that they can "guard" your car from the mice, alright. just make sure that you have a car cover, cause those danm cats will crawl all over the car and do nice "customized" racing stripes all over the paint where they screetch off of the car.

OR you could get one of those bubbles that they make for cars. big plastic, and hermatically sealed. if the mice get through that, then they deserve your car. (just kidding about deserving your car)
Old 11-28-2000, 07:51 PM

how 'bout a ring of D-Con laced cheese surrounding the car
Old 11-29-2000, 01:16 PM

Seriously...

Put some Decon poison around the car. Stuff a wedge of it under the tire, but more importantly, several feet from the car. You'll want to keep them away! Stuff some rags in your exhaust pipes too. Grab some charcoal briquettes and put a small bowl of them in the middle of your interior. Mice don't like the smell plus it takes any moisture there is out of the air.

------------------
92 Z28 - 5.7 - Black/Grey Leather
Macewen White Faced Guages
SLP T-RAM, 24lb/h Injectors
Accell 52mm Throttle Body
SLP 1 3/4" Headers and Cat Back Sys.

My T-Rammed L98
Old 11-30-2000, 12:00 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
My whole family looked at me like I was retarded when they heard that I put bounce sheets all over my GTA and IROC. I gotta admit that I'm going to have the best smelling cars in town this spring

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 11-30-2000, 12:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
When my family had our pop-up tent camper, we got a few squirrel's nests in it one year. The next year my dad got out the moth *****- he put them in margarine containers (I think everybody saves these!), with 8 or 10 holes punched in the lid. No problems after that- altho the camper sure smelled funky it's first couple uses

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!
Old 12-06-2000, 12:31 AM
RMK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: modded LB9
Transmission: Pro Built 700R4
I didn't know moths had *****.

Try cyanide. You could take out an elephant with cyanide. Yes, I'd go for the cyanide myself just to be sure that it gets them good and propper and not just makes them feel off for the day.

You could always goto Walmart and get a gun. Then while youre looking at the gun ask the asistant where the anti-depressants are located and watch his face. HaaHaaHaa

Rob

------------------
1987 IROC-Z Auto (LB9)
Black/grey with kick *** looks

Mods
None yet as I just got it Tell me what to do to it and I'll do it though.
Old 12-06-2000, 01:09 AM

just remember wit tha d-con you don't got mice in your car ya got stinkin @ss DEAD mice. they still live long enuf to get in it.
Old 12-06-2000, 05:54 AM

It's true, mothballs keep rodents away. They don't like the smell. If you're allergic to mothballs, try putting shavings of Irish Spring soap in an open container in the car, does the same thing. Unlike mothballs, which fade over time, the soap lasts a long time. I've heard that Bounce works too, but I haven't tried it (I use a combination of mothballs and Irish Spring every year - but I have convertibles which makes it much easier to air out in the spring).

As for the comment as to why store these cars in the winter, I've got two responses: (1) SALT and (2) trees (they line the road up here in Maine and they do lots of damage when you slide into them with overpowered rear drivers with wide tires).
Old 12-06-2000, 02:00 PM

A lady that I work with says that mint works good for keeping mice out.
Old 12-06-2000, 05:19 PM

1.dont drive your car like a maniac and u wont hit trees

2. salt?........wash your car once a week.

3. might as well put your daily driver in storage too if your worried about crap like that!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2000, 08:22 PM

B84305-Streetmachine, I see that you are from Louisiana. This explains a lot. Many of us in the snowy northeast envy you southerners in the wintertime (though not in your sultry summers). I am about as far north as you can get in the continental US. Granted I am making an assumption here, but based on your post you have no idea what winters are like up here. Take my word for it, you do not want to drive an f-body in the winter in Maine. They suck in snow. Period. I don't care how talented a driver you are or how careful you are. You cannot change the laws of physics.

Nor can you change the principals of chemistry. Washing your car weekly in the wintertime makes the salt effect worse. When salt is in a state of permafrost it does less damage than if you thaw it out once a week.

That is why those of us who are lucky enough to have two cars (a winter beater and a summer fun car) store our cars. In my case, my two f-bodies go to sleep from November through March/April. Fact of life.
Old 12-06-2000, 09:17 PM

You all have good ideas but the best way is Cider. Mice do not like cider and all you have to do is get cider chips or buy some cider and shave some of it and put in the car and around the engine. It sure smells a lot better then moth *****. My parents use it in their motor home and have not had an problems.
Old 12-06-2000, 11:09 PM

I asume you meant cedar. I heard that works, but like I said be carful w/poison so you don't end up with dead mice in your car, I got a GMC van from an auto auction that had mice nests in the vents, and after someone noticed the problem the poisoned them and...
You got it, dead mice in vents. No telling how long this 72 van sat but it reeked.
Old 12-07-2000, 09:16 AM

PALEEEEEEEEEEEEEESEEEEEEEEE
1.ive been everywhere.....-10 to 125o it doesnt matter....a good driver can handle all weather.no matter the weather or the car..personally id drive an fbody thru hell
or the cold equivalent

2. salt or no salt...u can get the #### off somehow..get the underbody coated if its THAT bad

3. ive always found that ppl including myself that "store" thier cars come back to them when its warm and something broke during the duration of the winter...especially the carb..
Old 12-07-2000, 03:36 PM

B84305-Streetmachine: Please consider this an invitation to come up here to Maine this winter in your 3d gen f-body for some wintertime driving. Y'all bring your skis. Late January, early February, something like that. I want to see you get your car up my driveway when it's covered with snow!

Truth be told, there are people who drive their f-bodies year round. Not in the snowiest parts of the state, but nonetheless, they do. Boy, do those cars look like s**t.

You do suggest an interesting point, though.
Every fall, with the first snow, the sides of the road are littered with overconfident SUV drivers. Somehow, they think that AWD somehow improves those four little rubber contact points with the icy roads. Good business for the body shops.
Old 12-07-2000, 04:19 PM

suv drivers *shudders*

what i would do if i HAD TO store my camaro

1.put the car on blocks (less hell on ball joints and other suspension parts from non usage)

2. take the battery out (no power no good)

3. drain the oil/gas/transmission fluid/and antifreeze (so nothing breaksdown)

4.let the air out of the tires(prevent dry rotting and flatwalling)

5. cover the car in a tarp

6. put rat poison around the cinder blocks the car is resting on and under the car

now.......i know many ppl over look how they store their car in the winter time. thats how id do it.........

and 67 ....should u ever see a grey camaro with thornbergs on the back plowing thru the snow in maine.......thats me

Old 12-07-2000, 06:49 PM

Car: 1985 Z-28
Engine: a big one
Transmission: 4 spd auto soon to be a 6 speed
Um B84305-Streetmachine I wouldn't drain the fluids from the car, maybe the fluids will break down, but breakdown of fluids is better than your crank and rotating assembly rusting solid. If your worried about the breakdown, replace the fluids when you take the car out of hibernation. P.S. make sure the oil is good and new so there is no acids or other "bad things" in the oil.
Old 12-07-2000, 07:10 PM

remember ace.......when the car is not running.......the fluids are in the pan...not the engine.....
Old 12-07-2000, 07:37 PM

Streetmachine - forgive my ignorance, but what are thornbergs? I want to be sure it's you when I'm hauling you out of the snowbank!
<grin grin grin>

When I store my car, I don't put it on blocks. I could see that if was stored long term, but we're only talking a couple months or so. Besides, if I was driving it, the weight would be on the suspension anyway.

I strongly disagree with the theory that you start the car once in a while. Who needs the excess scraping of the cylinder walls and the moisture in the exhaust? I know you didn't suggest this but some have.

I do disconnect/remove the battery, I fill the gas tank as full as possible to minimize moisture, I add some gas stabil (probably not necessary but it makes me feel good) and, in the spring, I put some isopropyl drygas in the tank before starting it up to protect moisture from gumming things up.

Whew! That's a lot of work. Too bad we don't all live in LOOOOSIANA where we can drive our f-bodies eight months a year and fry our butts the other four. hee hee hee.
Old 12-08-2000, 08:51 AM

hehehe i dont store the car cause of all that crap i listed........i over looked throwin a can of stabil in there....its really good stuff.......u should all buy property in louisiana and bring your cars down here when its cold up there...lol......

oh yea.......a thornberg is a really meaty chunky mud tire.....u can prolly find pictures of them on the net......
page 1001234 article 47 in the louisiana survival kit.....mud tires.... well....im gone.....