Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Can my paint be fixed? *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can my paint be fixed? *pics*

I keep being told that some rubbing compound and buffing and this can be fixed and clear coated. I'm using back to black on the louvres.

The car was not clay barred or waxed in the sun. Turns out in 1987 that the Van Nuys plant used water based paints in an aerosol designed paint system and they tended to fade. (C.A.R.B. bs laws in california)

Anyways can it be fixed? or must I repaint? The rear bumper is similar but the rest of the car is pretty good (can tell the difference between the gfx and the body but it isn't horrible)

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-08-2012, 12:40 PM

Car: 1992 RS 6spd
Engine: Carbed 357c.i.
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Soon to be Strange S60
Re: Can my paint be fixed? *pics*

Scuff with gray 3m scuff pad, a bit of soapy water, don't scuff through the clear. Then clean with something equivalent to prep-sol, then re-clear. Wetsand new clear, buff. It'll look like new.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

There is no clear on that hood. That's single stage oxidation. That has no connection between Van nuys and water based paint. Thats just single stage 75U paint code. It oxidizes.

What you need to do is take meguiars hand glaze i think #7 and run it on thick and let sit for a few hours to soften up the brittle oxidized paint.

Once let sit...rub off excess.

Now you can start will the buffing process. You will need a high speed DA buffer not that over the counter crap. U need something like the flex, PC dual action random orbital, or similar.

Meguiars is a makes the perfect 2 step product for the paint. M105 & M205. Use these in conjunction with a orange pad and then a white pad.

Go two times over the paint with the 105 and orange pan on high speed. Remove excess with micro fiber.

At this point the paint ill look fresh. You still have another step. You need to cut the paint down finer the finer the finish the less surface area for oxidation to happen again.

Now go two times over with m205. remove excess. The paint will look almost the same but will have a much finer cut on it making it more weather/uv proof.

Now go over the car with a quality sealant wax of your choice to prolong the paint. Sealant waxes should be used on SS finishes to add uv and chemical protection. Klasse makes a great sealer wax.

I am going to tell you right now this is the way to do it. Any other way would be cutting corners of course there are other products available that you can use and will work but these are tried and true. Don't be going to autozone and buying some turtle wax BS compound and a weak *** 20$ buffer thinking it will work. You will get discouraged I promise. To get big man results, you need big man tools and materials.

If you cant do it, bring it to a reputable detailer ask him to machine compound it out. If he doesnt know what the m105/205 combo is or tells you it cant be done bring it somewhere else. I have been doing this for years and I am telling you it can be fixed.

Google m105/205 combo and single stage paint oxidation removal. More than enough info. out there.

Last edited by blackbmagic; 05-08-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:08 PM

All of what you said is wrong, if thats an original paint job on an 87'. 85' was the last year of single stage paint to be used on F-bodies. And I've seen clear haze like that before.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 182 Likes on 134 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

I also believe the hood can be brought back with the M105/M205. It looks like the hazing will polish up since it has markings where it was touched. I don't believe that to be an '87 hood. If it is, it might have been repainted. That hazing looks to be single stage hazing as blackmagic states.

Last edited by scottmoyer; 05-08-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 PM

You can call me wrong till your blue in the face. I have been professionally detailing and painting for over 10 years. I am not telling you I am never wrong but from my experience that looks like single stage oxidation.

You want to find out..? Use some compound on a white rag and rub it with pressure onto the surface, if the rag shows any red or pink on it that's a single stage paint. If no color its clear.

No compound, you can do the same with 2000g wet sand paper. add some water to the paint start sanding a section then wipe residue off with a white rag if there is color on the rag its SS if not color its bc/cc.

If the paint is a bc/cc you need to take the cc down to the base coat. Which in my experience it is way too time consuming and tedious to take 600g-800g wet sand down to color and re-clear. Most often you will burn through the color coat on edges.

If it is bc/cc the only way to really do it right is to strip/fill/prime/seal/paint
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by blackbmagic
You can call me wrong till your blue in the face. I have been professionally detailing and painting for over 10 years. I am not telling you I am never wrong but from my experience that looks like single stage oxidation.

You want to find out..? Use some compound on a white rag and rub it with pressure onto the surface, if the rag shows any red or pink on it that's a single stage paint. If no color its clear.

No compound, you can do the same with 2000g wet sand paper. add some water to the paint start sanding a section then wipe residue off with a white rag if there is color on the rag its SS if not color its bc/cc.

If the paint is a bc/cc you need to take the cc down to the base coat. Which in my experience it is way too time consuming and tedious to take 600g-800g wet sand down to color and re-clear. Most often you will burn through the color coat on edges.

If it is bc/cc the only way to really do it right is to strip/fill/prime/seal/paint
This car was clearcoated from the factory by Honda. The damage is the same, just not at the same level. This car was repaired with 3000 grit pad, a DA, and some soapy water, buffed to a factory shine.
Attached Thumbnails Can my paint be fixed? *pics*-clearcoat.jpg  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 PM

I have seen some low quality clears haze as well. Not in the same way that single stages do though. Single stages turn white and you can feel it with your hand. Clears milk and you cant generally feel it. Usually clears will separate from the base before any hazing occurs, re clearing over existing clear is a bad idea. You are just decreasing the life of the new coat. They have a life span eventually that bottom layer will separate.

Got any pictures of what it looks like after?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 PM

In fact, I do. 3k grit, trizact DA pad, soapy water, malco cut, malco polish, 3m swirl mark remover, wool pad, yellow foam pad, and black foam pad. 2 days worth of buffing alone.
We also took most factory peel out of the rest of the paint, as per owners instructions and wallet.
Attached Thumbnails Can my paint be fixed? *pics*-fully-buffed.jpg  

Last edited by calamitascamaro; 05-08-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 584 Likes on 402 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Looks like single stage to me too. I'd DEFINITELY try to save it. Are you sure it's an '87?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 AM

yupp checked it in the Vin too. It is a 1987. Could be repainted but looks original. IDK. Thanks for all of the input guys.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:53 AM

^doesn't mean the hood was never replaced or body parts for that matter.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

My dad had a mid 90's S10 that looked exactly like that. Sure you can bring it back, but it'll only last for a while. The paint is failing. Best to repaint it.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 AM

^the paint isnt failing it just hasn't been taken care of.

A little wax every so often goes a long way. Sun and rain go a long way in damaging paint.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:17 AM

If it's the factory paint, it's 25 years old. It's failing or has failed. Save the money otherwise used to doll it up and get it repainted. Don't re-clear it, sand it off and repaint it.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM

-_- Its merely a topical problem. The paint has succumbed to air moisture and UV rays creating a chalky white residue. It can be saved I have done it countless time.

Lots of know it all's on this forum though. I will include myself in that statement to be fair.

Last edited by blackbmagic; 05-09-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 AM

Lots of know it all's on this forum though. I will include myself in that statement to be fair.
Glad you did. The trick of course, is to find out which K.I.A. is giving the best advice.

What would you charge to "save" a thirdgen that's in a chalky condition and how long would you tell the customer he can expect it to stay like that?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM

Being I have been in the bushiness for over 10 years.

If I had a customer that just wanted that hood corrected I would charge him right around the ball park of 80$-100$. I would give him a 1 year warranty against it coming back. Realistically if he were to wax it every 6 months, it will last indefinitely.

I would charge 400$ for the whole car to be corrected if conditions were like the hood over the entire car.

Fortunately, I can talk with pictures. And not just words.
Here is a car with the same oxidation across the entire surface. This is a single stage paint job 75U from a 1985 irocz

I didnt even use the megs 2 step on this. I washed it, clayed it, washed it again. Used megs#7 to soak overnight. They uses a one stage polishing compound and yellow pad and then 3m perfect it with a black pad to finish. I also removed some of the decals that were separating at this point.

It has been 3 years from that date now and the paint is in even better condition since being 2-steped, and waxed regularly with a blue pad and P21S.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM

I think I'd take that $400 and get it repainted. Even if it's a Maaco job it would solve the chalking, the lack of paint on the front spoiler, it would repaint the mismatched front bumper cover, all of the chips and scratches you don't see in the pic, and restore the brilliance and depth of color, if were taking the third gen pictured above as an example.

A self-done polishing would bring most of the color back in the short term and is a low cost (website theme of sorts) solution. But repainting it is the surely the smarter long term solution, wouldn't you say BBM?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM

I wouldn't take anything to our local maaco... Maybe another one I would. So fixing it seems to be more in the cards. Thanks for all of the help. I'm gonna call around. There are only two spots like that. Hood. and top of rear bumper. The rest is good. I am gonna keep the decals too.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305

Here is what I would recommend. Take a sanding block some 1500 grit sand paper and wetsand the hood. Move up to some 2000 grit and the re-shoot some clear coat and it shoult remove the surface oxidation and bring back the original color.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 PM

Telling you you can do it yourself minus the labor charge it would cost you roughly 200$-250$ in materials.

Idk what maaco job you are getting done for 400$. Don't quote me on prices but I know its double that to repaint without body work, and thats with a SS. Not BC/CC.

Listen I am not saying you can get rid of gouges, chips, and dents by polishing out the paint. I am telling this guy and others what they can do to remove the chalk and bring back the luster.

I make money with paint, I get/keep my customers and customer service by detailing. I am never going to tell someone not to paint their car but when the budget is tight and there is no room for a $3000 paint job then restoring the cars original paint works and it works well.

The method I explained is tried and proven. Lets stop beating around the bush, it works. Don't make excuses, dont post false information, dont post what you think you know.

If the paint and body is good, in no way shape or form is painting the smarter long term solution.

Thats not a bad solution Fltche1. That will work well. The issue with that is its not user friendly, and an amature cant just go out and pickup a paint gun, mix the paint, and shoot it with nice results. An amateur can go to town with an RODA and some m205 and produce the same results as a pro. The trick is in the materials not the experience. I teach customers to do their own thing all the time.

Last edited by blackbmagic; 05-09-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I just used "Color Back" from wal mart ($6 stuff) + a buffer. turned out real nice. if i had been more patient it woulda been damn near perfect but i didnt care seeing as how im getting a different hood. - it removed the oxidation and pinkish color though, and in the end the color/quality looked better than the rest of the car.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt disc / 3:27

My question would only be what's the condition of the parts? Besides wouldn't you want better paint than the factory. They weren't known for the best paint and still aren't... just saying you could waste time and money or do it right the first time

Last edited by DrewsCam; 05-09-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:38 PM

^refer to post one. That is the condition of the part.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by blackbmagic
Don't make excuses, dont post false information, dont post what you think you know.
Please. Everything I posted is accurate and correct. If false info is what you desire, then I'd turn your attention to clearing over a surface prepped with 2000 grit paper and the fact that repainting a car costs $3000 to begin with a few. There isn't anything wrong with polishing a car in the OP's condition, I've done it. However, it's just a low cost alternative that delays the inevitable.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Old 05-14-2012, 03:54 AM

Checked out the RPO and it states Base Coat Clear Coat paint upper and lower of 8774 with the black interior 19c. Could be repainted from way back. But doesn't look it. I've looked at all areas for signs (including in door areas for build up or dripping). The rear bumper is like this too. There are too many stock all original parts on this car for it to have been wrecked and have replacement parts.

I'm more open to fixing it and waxing it for the time being. Where should I start looking for a detailer/paint place that can do this service? I'm in Dayton Ohio. The only detailers I know of that are good don't do it. I checked. Any other ideas?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 AM

Oh, and it is an 81U paint code car...
Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 AM

Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Dont have a cheap paint job put on it. blackbmagic has some excellent advice. If I were you I'd find a pro with the tools, pads and compounds. If you have to spend $400 you'll be far better off than a $400 paint job. The red on my 92 was not chaulky, it was cloudy. I was told the clear had sunk in. I spent a day with some 2000 grit and then used 3M perfect it compound and some meguires #7 followed by meguires wax to protect it. It looks a ton better but I'm scared to take it out too much. I have 3 thin coats of wax on it now. Get the paint corrected and then maintain it. You'll be shocked how good the factory paint can look with a little elbow grease. Look up http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/ they have some good tips and advice.

Last edited by Damon23; 05-14-2012 at 06:02 AM.