Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Need Advice Original Paint or New Paint, also Headlight actuator question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice Original Paint or New Paint, also Headlight actuator question.

Hey guys, and ladies. possibly I have an 89 GTA that was bequeathed to me from an Uncle in Victoria. He drove it as his main car, but babied it remarkably. It is on it's second engine, I just dropped a zz4 in it, has no rust and a couple little touch up jobs on the paint from some wing dings, all original interior in great shape considering the car was actually driven daily.
So Question 1- Should I bend over backwards to keep the original paint to retain the resale value down the road, or should I just repaint it to look like original and enjoy it? Also what are your feelings on restoring to stock vs, customised, I would like to put a authentic looking fire-chicken on the hood. Is there so me kind of decal I could put on and off?

Question 2- both headlight actuators are shot, the motors work fine, when I take the actuator apart, the nylon plastic sprocket that is turned by the threaded thing coming off of the headlight motor works just fine, but the three lobed space in the centre of the nylon sprocket is larger than the three lobed end of the actuator arm, and in the gap between them when I took it apart was what looked like wax, it crumbled and fell apart immediately. So this begets two questions, does anyone know what that wax stuff was and where to get it? And does any one know where to order an entire replacement of the nylon sprocket, maybe with a metal sprocket of some kind?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Need Advice Original Paint or New Paint, also Headlight actuator question.

Regarding your first question, the original paint won't help the value without the original engine and even then it may not help. If it needs to be repainted, I say let 'er rip. I like 'em original with some mild custom touches so I'd say shoot it the same color, but that's just me. Steer clear of rustoleum or anything with farm implements on the label please.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 164 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 1984 T/A
Engine: LQ4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8 4.10 gears

Top down solutions has a headlight motor repair kit. I think this is what you need http://www.top-downsolutions.com/Bod...ight-motor-kit
Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I found out that in the headlight actuator it was just those little gel torque pins, I ordered replacement parts including an aluminium gear from the below, I will paint the car this summer if I can ever get it insured lol. Ontario sucks. New engine = performance enhancement = hardly anyone insures, I got a great quote from Hagerty, but my speeding tickets are an issue goto pay a paralegals to try to appeal them.

Headlight motor repair guy below.
Rodney Dickman
www.rodneydickman.com
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax 262-835-9575