Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Rust, rust, rust.. Oh... My rust...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust, rust, rust.. Oh... My rust...

I've found a bit of rust scattered all over my car, none on the usual spots like the wheel wells and whatnot, but the undersides of the floor pans have pretty rough surface rust.

So I'll list the places the car has rust

The whole underbelly has surface rust that needs to be treated, but how do I treat it?

The piece of metal that the hatch latch is mounted too, the metal that connects to the glass, which the spoiler is mounted too has rust. It seems to be coming from under the plastic. It has gotten worse in the 6 months we've owned the car. Much, much worse. I fear it may lead to a leak soon.

I will get a photo of the hatch rust tomorrow.

I'm just gonna replace this piece of metal, if possible, but how is this done?

I'm going to clean out the car tomorrow and pull loose some interior pieces to see if there is any other interior rust. (Or things left behind by the previous owners).

Which brings me to another question, where should I look for rust? I want to make sure this car isn't secretly rusting out from under me. Some cars do that and by the time you find it, it's way too late.

I'm paranoid about rust, finding the surface rust underneath aswell as the rust on the hatch has me in the mood to remove this blight.

Thanks for any info you can give.

For the record, I have no garage, I have four jack stands, some saftey goggles, a breathing mask for fine particulates when sanding underneath something, an air compressor, a DA sander, I'm good at hand sanding, so keep this in mind when advising how to proceed.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:45 PM

Re: Rust, rust, rust.. Oh... My rust...

Hatch rust:

Leak, mysterious bondo-like substance in spare tire well:

Leak:

Rest of the pictures of the car:

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ro%20RS%20Red/
Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 PM

As for the bondo in the rear spare well, was my car wrecked? I can't really be sure 'cause I can't get the glove box off the drivers side to compare.

Be honest what you think of what I've found.

I'm starting to wonder if this car is destined to be a beater. Every time I dig into it I find more hidden treasures (nightmares).

Be honest, what have I found?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42

Your "bondo-like susbsatnce" is seam sealer, from factory. From the pictures posted here you have nothing out of the ordinary. Hatch rust may be able to be sanded and fixed, or may need replaced with patch panel. It is kinda in between replace/repair and you will just have to sand it down and get a better look at it.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:01 PM

Well that's good news, but what of the leak? Is there any way to stop it?

I thought the sealer in the back looked too sloppy to be factory, but leave it too GM to do that.

I really wish my Camaro was one of the earlier ones with no spoiler. I don't particularly like the spoiler. And it seems to be leaking underneath it.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:43 PM

Car: 91 z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42

Originally Posted by Dead Reckon
Well that's good news, but what of the leak? Is there any way to stop it?

I thought the sealer in the back looked too sloppy to be factory, but leave it too GM to do that.

I really wish my Camaro was one of the earlier ones with no spoiler. I don't particularly like the spoiler. And it seems to be leaking underneath it.
Yes, you must first locate it. The service manual will tell you to make some sort of device that would simulate rain, think of an automatic carwashes sprayer bar. Basically do what it takes to find it and go from there.

Every manufacturer does it, worldwide.

You can delete the spoiler with welding and body work, but if it were me I would base the decision on my personal preferance on looks, not by how much of a pain it is to get it water tight.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:21 PM

I'm going to be taking welding classes this fall, if I feel confident enough to weld on a car I might take the spoiler off, I don't like the way it looks to be honest, and I can't see how it does anything to help.

But yeah, I found the leak 'cause it had just rained. I know where it is, photo here:

It's the black blob to the upper right of the shock mount.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Car: 85 camaro z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

where are you going to learn welding? Me and my roomate go to ATI in va beach, he's taking welding classes, and i'm in the auto mechanics classes.

Last edited by NathanLewis; 02-05-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:58 PM

Car: 88 Iroc-z
Engine: ls1
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I had rust on the hatch like you. I used a wire wheel and then sand it down from there to get rid of the rest of the rust the wire wheel can't get. Id also check in the fenders where the door opens. It seems like a area rust would fufill. And also in the front where the radiator bottom support is. Like a said, a wire wheel and paint will fix it up!
as for the leaks.. im guessing it comes in where the spoiler is bolted on to body, hatch.
Take some dumdum or black sealer and redo how its on there until you decide to eliminate the spoiler. Id also fix the rust when you do the spoiler and knock them both out at once unless there's a huge gap in there.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:59 PM

Car: 88 Iroc-z
Engine: ls1
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Oh and if your a ttop man, the metal bar that runs through the middle more then likely has rust on it
Old 02-05-2012, 08:30 PM

I've checked in the usual places for rust, we don't get much snow here, so the cars don't get chemicalized much.

My car is a hard top, as seen in the photo's. I wish it had T tops, my brothers '92 has 'em and I love 'em. We got the real glass T tops out of a Firebird, his had acrylic tops.

Anyway, I'm going to learn welding at a local trade school. They offer free classes to former and current students of this valley's school system.

I have to pay for some materials and whatnot, but that's fine. I'm more of a tradesman than anything.

I'm probably going to get a job at the local rail yard here in Roa-Joke (Roanoke), they still build rail cars here. Pretty good money, but I'll also do side jobs, so eventually this Camaro will be nice. One way or another, I'll make it the car I want it to be. No V8, V6 is fine with me, put it back to a five speed, fix the issues, make it a nice car and run it for many a years.

I'll need to get a truck shortly after I get my 1500hrs in though, so that'll further put the Camaro behind the on the roster. I'll do what needs to be done to the Camaro for now, but cosmetics. I know a few people I can do work for around here once I'm confident I can impress them, then they'll put in a good word. My goal in welding is to work for myself.

I'm going to be red neck (It's censored, sorry for the space) royalty, a house in the woods, and three or four cars that actually run and are street legal

Anyhow, got a bit off topic, but yeah

Most of the rust is surface, it's annoying, I hate treating rust, and I like it to stay gone.

I'm going to wire brush the underbelly this spring, coat it with some acidic based primer, that strange stuff that turns rust into primer, then coat the bejesus out of it with some kind of heavy duty undercoat.

The plus side:

I actually like doing the annoying, tedious details.

The down side:

I'm probably going to waste time being too meticulous on the under belly.

The paint job I plan to go for is

Flat black ground effects, flat black stripes that widen after they go through the hood scoop, (IROC hood), flat black headlight insets, flat black grill surround in the nose, and possibly a brake light blackout.

Might tint the windows, dunno, have to be some damn good tint.

Anyhow, back on topic again, little things first, and this car has a lot of them I need to sort out before I'll think about paint.

Last edited by Dead Reckon; 02-05-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM

Car: 85 camaro z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

a friend of mine has a turbo'ed straight six. It's not bad at all.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

My opinion - is that your car is clean and relatively rust free. The spots with surface rust can be sanded down, primed and painted.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 AM

Car: '86 Firebird
Engine: '85 TPI on crate 350
Transmission: T-5 man

look closely at the firewall and in the cowl area. take off the black plastic screen at the base of the windshield and look in this area. check for a build up of leaves in the fender between the front tire and the door (look with the door open) those leaves will trap moisture.
Um, check the area around the base of the blower from inside the cabin. I actually took a digital camera set to macro and snapped pics of this area from the cowl area... protruding screws took only a little bood
another spot that is impossible to check unless you pull the dash, is basicly the inside cabin of the firewall all the way up to the windshield. If you pull your dash at any time .. look under the padding on the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails Rust, rust, rust.. Oh... My rust...-100_0264b.jpg   Rust, rust, rust.. Oh... My rust...-100_0263b.jpg   Rust, rust, rust.. Oh... My rust...-100_0273m.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Yeah I've checked between the fenders and body, that's all coming off when it gets painted, whenever that happens. I'm making sure it's getting resprayed properly.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 AM

Car: 92 Camaro Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: Built TH350 with 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 4th gen, 4.10

I wouldnt hand sand the underbody. Your body will regret that. A relaiable drill with a small and large wire wheel attachement will do the trick pretty well. Degrease and wash the underbody and let it dry and then its ready for paint.

What type of paint are using underneath?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:00 PM

Car: 92 Camaro Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: Built TH350 with 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 4th gen, 4.10

Most of the rust is surface, it's annoying, I hate treating rust, and I like it to stay gone.

I'm going to wire brush the underbelly this spring, coat it with some acidic based primer, that strange stuff that turns rust into primer, then coat the bejesus out of it with some kind of heavy duty undercoat.
Just seen this. I would recommend using POR15 for the underbody. Doesnt need primer and the stuff dries like a rock. Once its on, it wont come off unless you hit with a grinder.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into that stuff.

I've also got a DA sander I can use on the flat parts of the under belly, though most of it will just be wire brushing, and it's gonna take a while.

I'm a bit skeptical about they're claim that it'll even stop battery tray corrosion, but I'll probably put it too the test

Last edited by Dead Reckon; 02-09-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:18 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23

Be honest, what have I found?
You found the problems inherent with ANY (average) car 20 years old.