Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Car creaks really bad, help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car creaks really bad, help!

Hello fellow f body enthusiasts. Recently got myself a 1987 Trans Am and like McDonalds I'm loving it. I only have one problem, the car creaks, and sometimes sounds like glass getting crushed really bad on turns that have an uneven road, or generally anything that puts stress on only one front wheel. I plan on getting subframe connectors as soon as I possibly can, my question is if its at risk of any serious damage? Its a T Top, so I understand its body isn't as rigid as a hard top. There is one small crack on the drivers side by the top corner of the window, is there going to be damage worse than just these small cracks? It came with the 305, so torque isn't much the problem here, mainly dips before turns and driveways that stick out about an inch.
I just got her and the roads here aren't all flat unfortunately. I appreciate the help!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 PM

Car: 1988 IROC Z
Engine: 5.7 litre
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi with 4 wheel disc brakes
Re: Car creaks really bad, help!

Your question is hard to answer. Most 3rd gens creak and rattle (Im one of the lucky ones with a tight t-top'd car). IF yours is rattling or creaking more than most it could be due to a prior accident. Subframe connectors are definitely recommended and tightening everything down is also a good idea. Not sure what else to advise...
Old 01-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro RS--
Engine: MPFI
Transmission: 700r4

Check out all the suspension, you might need to lube everything. I had a lot of squeaks and noise when i got my car. It might not have ever been oiled.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70

after you get your SFCs get a pass in the car and while driving try and locate your rattles. thats what i did, its just a matter of me getting off my lazy duff and do it but i'v been concentrating on other areas.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z and 1988 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7 350 V8 and 5.0 305 V8
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic Transmission
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi

Originally Posted by TranssAm
Hello fellow f body enthusiasts. Recently got myself a 1987 Trans Am and like McDonalds I'm loving it. I only have one problem, the car creaks, and sometimes sounds like glass getting crushed really bad on turns that have an uneven road, or generally anything that puts stress on only one front wheel. I plan on getting subframe connectors as soon as I possibly can, my question is if its at risk of any serious damage? Its a T Top, so I understand its body isn't as rigid as a hard top. There is one small crack on the drivers side by the top corner of the window, is there going to be damage worse than just these small cracks? It came with the 305, so torque isn't much the problem here, mainly dips before turns and driveways that stick out about an inch.
I just got her and the roads here aren't all flat unfortunately. I appreciate the help!
I have the same problem as you where if I leave my driveway or drive down the road sometimes it sounds like the glass as being chipped away betwen the glass itself and the t-top. Mine also squeeks like crazy so I am thinking I will get one of those lube kits, door hinge rebuild kit and rebuild the doors themselves, and then some sfc's. Normally though the creaking doesn't bother me that much because I normally drive it in the summer and in window down weather unless I really want to drive it of course.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the replies. The creaking comes from the roof, and I hear this with the windows down. Sounds like plastic being slowly crushed or stretched and in the worst of cases, sometimes glass scraping, or glass getting crushed as well. This only happens though when turning into dips or anything that would "test" the rigidity of the car, suggesting body twist, which I'm not surprised since its T Top. I'm just hoping nothing breaks before I get the subframe connectors. I'm also specially worried since my wife has been taking it to school. She's not easy on cars, and has backed up into things. I told her though, if she brings the car damaged, I'm leaving her............ no I didn't.

Last edited by TranssAm; 01-03-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: adding more details