Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Maaco and Other Paint Quotes

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 5.0L H.O.
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: IDK
Maaco and Other Paint Quotes

Ok, I know this Maaco thing is beat to death on all forums and all Maaco shops are different. I've done the research and have spent probably 20 hours over the last 3 days online looking at reviews, results, etc. I'm simply looking for opinions on what you all think. I've got quotes from real shops and they are anywhere from $5,000 to $7,000 with new fenders and hood and door. I got one guy who will do it out of his garage for $3,800 plus new fenders and hood. Maaco quoted me for $,1800 and they estimated 2-weeks in the shop, which is the same as the other body shops. I was quoted for their top job and the invoice is in my cardomain page (along with pictures of the car), which is at the bottom of this post. I plan on keeping the car forever, but don't want to put $10,000 into a car I paid $2,700 for and know it will never be worth what I put into it. I mean if I'm going to spend $4K on a paint job, would it be better to save $4K and sell my car and just buy one in pristine condition? If anyone has pictures of their old Maaco jobs (not the cheapo's) do you have pictures after a few years? Thanks all.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393649...-camaro/page-1
Old 09-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 218 Likes on 164 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.
Re: Maaco and Other Paint Quotes

Originally Posted by rffanat1c
Ok, I know this Maaco thing is beat to death on all forums and all Maaco shops are different. I've done the research and have spent probably 20 hours over the last 3 days online looking at reviews, results, etc. I'm simply looking for opinions on what you all think. I've got quotes from real shops and they are anywhere from $5,000 to $7,000 with new fenders and hood and door. I got one guy who will do it out of his garage for $3,800 plus new fenders and hood. Maaco quoted me for $,1800 and they estimated 2-weeks in the shop, which is the same as the other body shops. I was quoted for their top job and the invoice is in my cardomain page (along with pictures of the car), which is at the bottom of this post. I plan on keeping the car forever, but don't want to put $10,000 into a car I paid $2,700 for and know it will never be worth what I put into it. I mean if I'm going to spend $4K on a paint job, would it be better to save $4K and sell my car and just buy one in pristine condition? If anyone has pictures of their old Maaco jobs (not the cheapo's) do you have pictures after a few years? Thanks all.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393649...-camaro/page-1
Its all in the prep. Also Maaco shops are notorious for wheeling and dealing. They show you one car, and say thats a $1200 paint job. But what they don't tell you is the owner of the car tipped the actual guy who did the work. And if you don't tip him he does crap work and doesn't pay attention to detail.

They will also do ANYTHING to get out of their warranty promises. And most times the Corporate office will back them up.

I had them paint my car. The painter didn't properly clean up before laying paint down and had balled up debris from the machine sanding in the embossed "pontiac" lettering on the bumper. Maaco wouldn't do crap. I fought for months with corporate over this. I also had several heavy runs that they wouldn't fix.

My best advice is to pay with a credit card. Because if you go to the credit card with this and proof then the credit card will reverse the charges until Maaco fixes it.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350 swap
Transmission: manual

I just had my painted red( same as previous color)except the hood(stripped all the away to metal, and then paint), plus placed new t-top and door weatherstrips( i bought the rubber) for 4700. DID excellent job.
Only drawback they "lost" my old hood.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

I see that you list "Automatic" under your user name but nothing about the engine or differential. The reason allot of shops charge so much is because most of them make there money doing quick insurance jobs. There's really no need for them to take on a "full out" prep and paint job when they make twice that amount doing and fixing insurance claims in the same amount of time.As far as paint and prep is concerned I had mine done by a friend (professional painter)and it still ran me 3,000.00.Heres what you can and should expect for the higher end paint job. Some of the details are listed under the first set of photos =
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...nt-photos.html

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 09-07-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: add info.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 182 Likes on 134 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

JasonE on the board just had his 86 Trans Am repainted. He went to a real shop that did a great job for about $4k. If the car needs more work other than paint, I'd sell it, save the $4k and buy one in better shape. Sounds like you might be close to $7k with paint and that doesn't include any repairs you've put into it.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

scottmoyer,that 87 IROC of yours is absolutely one of the cleanest/nicest looking "stock" cars I have ever seen.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 09-08-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: add info.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Engine: 355 Super Charged
Transmission: B&M Streetfighter
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 342

I can tell you Macco will only grind and than spray rust inhibitor on the area, they will then skim coat it with filler. I see you are in WI, you will see rust bleed through there in less than 3 -4 years.if your lucky. Honestly I would look for a more rust free car if possible, if this is the one you want fix it, but dont spend $1800 to have to spend anothe 5k in 3 years. I have had people come to me and than say "oh that is so expensive" but then I see them a year later because the rust is back and the Macco said its "out of warranty" good luck on your choice
Old 09-08-2011, 07:22 PM

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: pending install 383 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

If you are up for a trip to reynolds indiana my cousin will prep the entire body pull all lights mirrors ect and charge you 1000 plus the cost of fender, doors. He does excellent work and uses ppg paint. You can even get depth in the clear for a great reflection
Old 09-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ronusmcmma
I see that you list "Automatic" under your user name but nothing about the engine or differential. The reason allot of shops charge so much is because most of them make there money doing quick insurance jobs. There's really no need for them to take on a "full out" prep and paint job when they make twice that amount doing and fixing insurance claims in the same amount of time.As far as paint and prep is concerned I had mine done by a friend (professional painter)and it still ran me 3,000.00.Heres what you can and should expect for the higher end paint job. Some of the details are listed under the first set of photos =
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...nt-photos.html
That's what I realized too, so many shops didn't even want to give me a quote. Or they would give me way too high a price and then want the car for 5 months to make me go somewhere else.

All they cared about was insurance work, and getting a fast in/out type jobs.

I finally found a place that actually wanted my business, and they are working on it now. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks I'll have it back.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: The Wicked six'ah
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock 3.08's

Theres Appliance White at walmart 5 bucks a Can, its an Epoxy, If applied right you can have a Run Free Glossy White paint job for 75 bucks. I used it on the rims of my 85 GMC k2500, and Its held up through salt for 2yrs, and it still very white to this day. and I recently Painted my Simplicity lawn tractor Red and white, used the White Epoxy. Its dries Very smooth even on a rough surface.

Just thought i'd through that out there, its cheap comes out very nice. and only colors i can find are white and a nasty Tan color.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:20 AM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 5.0L H.O.
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: IDK

I don't know what differential is on the car, but it is the 5.0L H.O. I just picked up two brand new fenders for $100 from Certifit, a new (used) door from a junkyard for $100, and a new (used) hood for $50. I just took off the nose and both fenders today. I also removed all Z28 trim from the car and am pleasantly surprised at how little rust the car has. There is NO rust on the rocker panels, NO rust on the parts the fenders were hiding, and very little on the rear quarters where the GFX were. I am having them replace the LH quarter panel with a 60% skin brand new. The car has ONE dent on the RH quarter about the size of a dime and no other damage (except for the trashed driver's side door). I understand I will put more money into this car than its worth, but its an 84 with 69K on the odometer and an extremely clean interior. The car sat in a garage since 1994 when the previous owner stopped driving it. I am the THIRD owner of this car. Thanks for the offer Mackjar66, but you are close to 4 hours away.