Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Air Compressor Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Firebird & Grand Prix GXP
Engine: LG4 305 (originally 2.8L V6)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3:43 Open Diff.
Air Compressor Question

So I've been eyeing an air compressor for running some impact tools for the car and the house and also wanted to paint the bird if I get a compressor. I was wondering if this one would be good for painting the whole car. I know it depends on the gun too. Most of the guns I'm looking at require more CFM than this compressor can output. I just don't want to spend a fortune. I was going to paint the Firebird with the Dupli Color Paint Shop Paint.

Any thoughts are appreciated?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916472000P

Dave
Old 06-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi
Re: Air Compressor Question

That's the newest version of the one I have. It runs most of my tools just fine, even my big IR impact gun. I had no problems painting the fenders for my fullsize GMC truck and the 4thgen rear I bought for my Camaro with it. I plan on painting the hood and tailgate of my truck with it this summer and don't expect any problems. I'm not sure of the specs on the spray gun I was using though as it came with a smaller Husky air compressor I bought on clearance at Home Depot a few years back. It won't run a die grinder or inline sander for very long without kicking on. Usually 3-4 minutes tops, which is why it took me forever to port my 416 heads. I haven't tried a DA with it as I know they need huge amounts of air.

I used the Duplicolor Paint Shop stuff for my truck fenders, and Valspar Farm & Implement paint for the 4thgen rear.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 PM

Car: 85 Firebird & Grand Prix GXP
Engine: LG4 305 (originally 2.8L V6)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3:43 Open Diff.

Were you happy with the quality of the Paint Shop product?

You seemed to do a few pieces at a time which I know this will do no problem. I'm just concerned with it loosing pressure painting a whole car or sanding down the original paint with an orbital sander.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member

I painted fenders together, and the rear end separately a few months later. I have no complaints about the quality of the Paint Shop paint yet, but its only been about 9 months or so. The fenders could use a good wetsanding and buffing, but that's more my fault than the paint's.

As for the compressor and the paint gun, I was wondering the same thing when it comes time to paint my Camaro. What I did was fill the paint gun's can with water and spray my Camaro with that to see if the compressor could keep up with it. I was able to spray everything but the rear hatch and bumper before the compressor kicked on.

As for running a sander, I don't think its going to work real well for that. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight inline sander when I was shaving my door handles and I can only use it for about 2 minutes before the compressor kicks on, then it pretty much runs constantly while I'm using the sander. I was actually surprised at how well the sander works, considering its from Harbor Freight. The sander is rated at 5 CFM @ 90PSI.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird,00 c2500,75 Vette
Engine: 3.1 but 350 soon, 350, 350
Transmission: T56 soon
Axle/Gears: stock 3.42 Posi to come

Originally Posted by 92RS_Ttop
I painted fenders together, and the rear end separately a few months later. I have no complaints about the quality of the Paint Shop paint yet, but its only been about 9 months or so. The fenders could use a good wetsanding and buffing, but that's more my fault than the paint's.

As for the compressor and the paint gun, I was wondering the same thing when it comes time to paint my Camaro. What I did was fill the paint gun's can with water and spray my Camaro with that to see if the compressor could keep up with it. I was able to spray everything but the rear hatch and bumper before the compressor kicked on.

As for running a sander, I don't think its going to work real well for that. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight inline sander when I was shaving my door handles and I can only use it for about 2 minutes before the compressor kicks on, then it pretty much runs constantly while I'm using the sander. I was actually surprised at how well the sander works, considering its from Harbor Freight. The sander is rated at 5 CFM @ 90PSI.
The question here is was it maintaining approximately 90 psi pressure while running continuously. If so then it handled it fine. The only problem is that that is hard on the compressor and can easily build more water so a good filter is absolutely a must. I would assume you have one anyways as you are painting with it.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 91phoenix
The question here is was it maintaining approximately 90 psi pressure while running continuously. If so then it handled it fine. The only problem is that that is hard on the compressor and can easily build more water so a good filter is absolutely a must. I would assume you have one anyways as you are painting with it.
I am honestly not sure if it was maintaining the 90psi or not while running. I think so, but I didn't check and the last time I used that sander was 3 years ago.

I do have a filter on it, but its just a cheapie throwaway one. I have had no water problems when painting or using other air tools so I assume its doing its job.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:30 AM

Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Auto

No, That compressor will not work to paint a whole car.
CFM is way too low and tank is small.

the 60Gal 10.3CFM @90PSI is the smallest.

Or you could go the craigslist route like I did.

you can combine air ompressors to increase CFM and air capacity.

THat's what I did. I have two compressors piped together to give me 53Gal and 17CFM@ 90PSI.
I know have a third to put into the mix to get me to 73Gal 26CFM@90.

The two compressors together have kept up with DA and inline air sander.