Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Long list of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long list of questions.

I want to paint my 86 z.

Going with all new metro weatherstripping and window felt from classic industries(good choice?)

Should I do it myself or pay somebody or a mixture of both in your opinion?

How would I go about painting the trim on the back hatch glass?

Does the hatch glass seperate from the (trunk panel piece?) easily? worried about the edge where the painted panel meets the glass.

The front left fender is touching the door near the bottom but the gaps are the same from side to side towards the top can I just shim the fender out at the bottom? (will post pics of this from different angles.

Where can I find specs for body gaps?

Should I cut out the front glass or will the trim around it be able to replaced with the window in?

Any build threads of how someones car was painted I should check out that you can link 4 me?

Is it possible to achieve awesome results without a booth?

Sorry for all the questions but body stuff just is not my thing.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Long list of questions.

Take a look at threads from people that paint their own cars, usually they aren't pretty. Not to say there haven't been some great looking ones, but generally, they look like crap.

Autobody is art, and it takes talent and instruction to perfect it. It's not something your average Joe can do, truthfully.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Going with all new metro weatherstripping and window felt from classic industries(good choice?) Yes

Should I do it myself or pay somebody or a mixture of both in your opinion? Pay somebody

How would I go about painting the trim on the back hatch glass? Mask it off, prep it, and paint it...and not with Walmart spraybomb. Taking it off can be a PITA.

Does the hatch glass seperate from the (trunk panel piece?) easily? worried about the edge where the painted panel meets the glass. PITA...my opiniton.

The front left fender is touching the door near the bottom but the gaps are the same from side to side towards the top can I just shim the fender out at the bottom? (will post pics of this from different angles. Yes.

Where can I find specs for body gaps? 3/16" to 1/4" generally

Should I cut out the front glass or will the trim around it be able to replaced with the window in? Taking out the glass is better.

Any build threads of how someones car was painted I should check out that you can link 4 me? Do a search. You'll find them.

Is it possible to achieve awesome results without a booth? Yes, but you need experience.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback.

What paint products are good? Cars sprayed with ppg paint seem to stand out to me.

Would doing the disassembly and most of the prep work myself be a good idea?
I just want the best job possible for what I can afford(not sure what the budget is yet)

What should I look for in a body shop? I plan on keeping this car and want a paintjob thats gonna last.

So the trim on the rear hatch is removable? Guess I'm gonna do a search on that right away. Would be nice to just powdercoat it and be done with it.

I have been searching and reading paint threads all night but are there any in particular that stand out that would be worth checking out?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Prep is the foundation for any good paint application. If you don't know what you're doing, leave it to the professionals, but be prepared to pay for it. Spies Hecker, HOK, PPG, DuPont, Sherwin, Autocolor, et al. are all good brands. Check with the BBB, ask around, do research with regard to the shop you want to use. There's a turbo Iroc thread and a red TA thread that I found that weren't bad for information. Stay away from threads that have Rustoleum, tractor paint, and stripping a car with 2000 grit paper in the body.