Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

paint job cheap

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: stock...
paint job cheap

So, Getting ready to do my LQ4 swap, and... basically I am hoping that there is a body/paint guy somewhere in Oregon that will do a quality job on the cheap due to the fact that my go fast parts have pretty much eaten up all of my disposable income.

Thanks in advance for any tips. I am willing to compromise and just do a gloss black primer job for now tell i can save up some more money too do the paint job that I really want.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Car: 1989 Trans am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Re: paint job cheap

you can do it yourself for fairly cheap, it just depends on how valuable your time is to you. my buddy rattle canned his skyline. i have known him and that car for 2 years and had no idea he rattle canned it, he just told me a few weeks ago when i painted mine.

he also just did the rustoleum paint job on his old volvo, and i am yet to see the finished product.

i also ended up rattle canning my bumper cover (it was cracked beyond belief, and just wanted it to match until i find a new one) and after just a quick wetsand (and buff) it looked pretty good.

there is a thread on here of a guy who used tractor paint, and it looks awesome.

had i not purchased paint already when i was told about this guy, i would have also used tractor paint.

but if you track down a compressor on the cheap, you are most likely able to come out with a better product doing it on your own, and saving a LOT of money. only you can give the paint the time and love it needs.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock

maaco
Old 04-23-2011, 10:41 PM

Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by evilemokid94
maaco
please don't mention that joke of a place.

Just hold off on any kind of paint till you can afford a good paint job. because whatever you put on it now "temporarily for cheap' is gonna give you problems when you go to put a decent paint job on it. Rattlecans and tractor paint are a 1k product meaning they don't have an activator you mix in. it may seem to stick ok when it's just it on the car but when you go to put good paint product on it, a 2k product, it will tend to "bleed into" and react with the 1k product. This'll cause lifting of the paint months or a few years down the road and then you'll be spending money on a THIRD paint job and stripping off the previous two. if you're worried about rust till then, buy a good 2k epoxy primer to put on it.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:03 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: stock...

Originally Posted by jimmy_pop15
please don't mention that joke of a place.

Just hold off on any kind of paint till you can afford a good paint job. because whatever you put on it now "temporarily for cheap' is gonna give you problems when you go to put a decent paint job on it. Rattlecans and tractor paint are a 1k product meaning they don't have an activator you mix in. it may seem to stick ok when it's just it on the car but when you go to put good paint product on it, a 2k product, it will tend to "bleed into" and react with the 1k product. This'll cause lifting of the paint months or a few years down the road and then you'll be spending money on a THIRD paint job and stripping off the previous two. if you're worried about rust till then, buy a good 2k epoxy primer to put on it.
I hear ya, I am leaning this way as well.. It would just be nice to see my project move along is all.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Lots of 'em

May as well hold off until you can afford a good paint job, as mentioned. I'd rather drive something with chipped and peeling paint, rust spots, etc, than a rattle can or maaco job.