Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Looking for a buyers guide or some tips and tricks

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 96 Firebird T-Top
Engine: 3.8L V6
Transmission: Automatic
Looking for a buyers guide or some tips and tricks

Hey guys, Im looking into picking up a roller for a budget street build. I was wondering if there is a buyers guide floating around anywhere or some tips and tricks to make sure Im getting a solid car, and not a rusty mess. I have enough experience to know how to do minor rust repair/welding and filling where needed, I just dont want to miss something thats normally overlooked and wind up with a rust disaster. I know the Z-28 has skirts, is there any way to check how solid the rockers are without removing them? Thanks in advance! Oh, Ill be looking for an 88-92 Z-28 roller if that makes a difference.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Looking for a buyers guide or some tips and tricks

--Check the inside of the spare tire well--should be a clean drain hole
--T-top bar can often have rot in it in an otherwise spotless, low mileage car that's been garaged its entire life
--Floor boards, particularly the driver's side right along the left edge of the interior, just inside the door
--Strut towers in the front wheel wells
--Probably not much of a concern since you're looking for a roller, but a beat car can often have cracked paint at the bottom back edge of the doors, and the top of the B-pillar just behind the top, back edge of the side windows
--Rockers as far as I know would have to be removed, but from what I've seen, even on rotted cars the rockers seem to somehow escape relatively unscathed so I wouldn't worry too much about those, especially if the rest of the car is clean.

Also FYI, 90-92 cars are speed density, pre-'90 are MAF. Generally MAF cars are easier to work with, except where thirdgens are concerned. The speed density is the better system, but both are probably ok.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 96 Firebird T-Top
Engine: 3.8L V6
Transmission: Automatic

Thanks for the great info, definitely helps. I actually have another thread concerning fuel and air delivery for the engine I want to build as I plan on beefing up the entire drivetrain.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1

Originally Posted by puma1552
--Check the inside of the spare tire well--should be a clean drain hole
--T-top bar can often have rot in it in an otherwise spotless, low mileage car that's been garaged its entire life
--Floor boards, particularly the driver's side right along the left edge of the interior, just inside the door
--Strut towers in the front wheel wells
--Probably not much of a concern since you're looking for a roller, but a beat car can often have cracked paint at the bottom back edge of the doors, and the top of the B-pillar just behind the top, back edge of the side windows
--Rockers as far as I know would have to be removed, but from what I've seen, even on rotted cars the rockers seem to somehow escape relatively unscathed so I wouldn't worry too much about those, especially if the rest of the car is clean.
After having bought 6 of these cars, I am starting to think that taking a jack with you when you go to look at one is a good idea - You'll be able to get a WAY better look at the underside.

A couple other areas to check: Inside the rear fender wheels; For some reason, my 91 Z28 has a golf ball sized hole on either wheel well. I've not seen it on any others that I've owned, but just letting you know....

If you're looking for a roller, you might try to find one that someone already took the carpet out of. I bought my 91 Z28 this way; I knew where all of the problem areas were before I bought it. (well, most anyway).

I think the single best advice I can really give is to know when to walk away... There are WAY too many of these cars still around to buy a rusty or abused vehicle and try to fix it. Unless the price is astronomically low and you've got the time, money and know how to fix the issues, WALK AWAY.