Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

painting the plastic bumpers/ gfx

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 marrow z28, 88 thunderbird 5.0
Engine: 305 4bbl, 302 cobra efi
Transmission: 700r4, aod
Axle/Gears: the crappy one
painting the plastic bumpers/ gfx

I am being told there is a special preperation/ method to painting plastics which will prevent spiderwebbing and peeling down the road. I am a new painter and am learning the basics by spraying por-15 on my camaro and tbird. Just seeing if this is true or if it all paints the same.

Also, my nose has faint spiderwebs in it, it was probably bumped into something before i bought it. And my front lip was "cheese grated" while loading onto a trailer, what will I need to smooth these out/repair before paint?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: White 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI LB9, 215 HP
Transmission: Borg-Warner T5 NWC
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 7.75 with 3.27 ratio
Re: painting the plastic bumpers/ gfx

Originally Posted by onesmartidiot
I am being told there is a special preperation/ method to painting plastics which will prevent spiderwebbing and peeling down the road. I am a new painter and am learning the basics by spraying por-15 on my camaro and tbird. Just seeing if this is true or if it all paints the same.

Also, my nose has faint spiderwebs in it, it was probably bumped into something before i bought it. And my front lip was "cheese grated" while loading onto a trailer, what will I need to smooth these out/repair before paint?
Hello onesmartidiot!!

Look into stuff called "flexagent" (sp) it's supposed to let the paint on the plastic have some flexability before it cracks from flexing!!

I don't know how true this is, but that's what I've heard, sounds good!!!

As for your other questions..............I'm not a painter!!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Save your money and don't buy the flex agent. Sand the webs completely out and prime with a high quality automotive primer. I've never been able to keep the webs from returning. Sometimes they do....sometimes they don't.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by haps
Save your money and don't buy the flex agent. Sand the webs completely out and prime with a high quality automotive primer. I've never been able to keep the webs from returning. Sometimes they do....sometimes they don't.
Maybe you should try the flex agent then?

I have heard that if the spiderwebbing is severe, it's probably damaged the urethane bumper, in which case the plastic itself would need to be replaced.

I don't know if there's any truth to this or not.

I've got some spidercracking on my nose and a body shop told me they would recommend a new bumper cover even though the bumper cover appears to have no issues, just cracked paint on it.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

I have off and on over the years. I've never been able to attribute any sure fixes to the flex agent. I haven't used it for a while and honestly don't know the difference. I've always suggested replacing the urethane when it's spider cracked, but sometimes that isn't the most cost effective solution.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Going on 7 years now and no spiders or cracks, using black enamel paint.
Didn't use any flex agents, painted the whole car end to end in one shot.

metal, plastic, rubber.........
Old 01-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Car: 1988 GTA Black on Black Hardtop
Engine: 383 miniram/ Ebl
Transmission: 700r4/Performabuilt/3000 Stall
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt / 3.27

There is spider cracks in paint which can be sanded out, primed and painted successfully. There is also cracking do to the covers being damaged from being hit.These can be sanded down and repainted but usually come back.

As for flex agent, its primary use is when painting a flexible part such as a bumper cover, it is added in the base coat and the clear coat. This allows the installer to be able to move the cover around when installing it. The covers need to be flexed to go over the bumper reinforcements etc. The flex agent has a small window of flexibility, then it cures out. With that being said i still use it on every flexible part i paint for myself. It cant hurt!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Car: 89 IROC-Z & 92 RS
Engine: 350 TPI & LQ4 408 in the works
Transmission: 700R4 & T-56
Axle/Gears: stock/ LT1 disc 3.42

any flex agent i have used we add to the primer/surfacer or the sealer. If and when you sand those spiderwebs down (which is in the paint not the bumper most times) you will get down to the raw plastic. You will need to coat those areas with a adhesion promoter to keep the top coats from lifting and causing issues down the road. The sand paper you should use to get the cracks/webs out should be somewhere around 180 grit. work your way up to 320 or 400 and the primer and sealer should cover/fill those scratches no prob. there is even some stuff called fill primer which you will need to spray out a 2.0 tip gun or fill them with some kind of filler.... bondo/putty whatever if they are deep. sand that down and begin the paint process.

Last edited by 3rdgenfever; 01-01-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28 Clone
Engine: Bored .030, vortec sbc350
Transmission: Built T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 1999 Torsen 4:10 Locker

I just painted my car this week. There isn't much you can do about that spider cracking, at least preventing it. I sanded all my rubber parts to the bare rubber to get rid of the previous cracks. Then sprayed them with filler primer and sanded that down with 320 grit. Then 3:1 auto primer then my coats of base then clear. Can't even tell there waere bad cracks in them.

As for preventing them, I would say the best thing is proper prep before paint like I explained above.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by trocustoms
The covers need to be flexed to go over the bumper reinforcements etc. The flex agent has a small window of flexibility, then it cures out. With that being said i still use it on every flexible part i paint for myself. It cant hurt!!!!!!!

Which means it doesn't do a thing to prevent them in the long run.
Just a short window so you can flex parts around beyond normal and not fubar it.

Which would mean unless your gonna handle parts like that, the flex agent is a waste of money. Which may be well spent on the can't hurt excuess, long as you have it to spend.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:03 PM

Car: 85z28(sold),91 rs, 15'Mazda3GT
Engine: 5.7L V8 350 (ZZ4)
Transmission: 700r4 rebuilt with kits+ vette serv

Originally Posted by Gumby
Going on 7 years now and no spiders or cracks, using black enamel paint.
Didn't use any flex agents, painted the whole car end to end in one shot.

metal, plastic, rubber.........
you spray paint the whole car you mean? (I just brought 3 cans of automotive black paint gonna spray on hood to clear up the marks; scratches)
Old 01-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by FryeDaddy
you spray paint the whole car you mean? (I just brought 3 cans of automotive black paint gonna spray on hood to clear up the marks; scratches)
Um no, but was only $40 for a gallon.

look up paintforcars on eBay or their website
http://www.paintforcars.com/customer_testimonials.html

Head to any car show with original hotrods and all you will find is enamel paint jobs, which some you could walk right into its so deep black.
New fancy stuff just cost more when you talk black.

Last edited by Gumby; 01-01-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Don't know about the flex agent. I've used cheap crap paint (RustOleum on both of my spidercracked bumper covers and even though the paint flakes off everywhere else, I'm having a ball removing it from the bumper covers (150 grit right now on a DA and it's still taking forever and a day to come off).

Don't know how they got there, but my front cover has some really deep gouges in it from the spidercracking (I would assume as it's in line with it), and I'm working on sanding those flat as well.

One question: Can I use any kind of body filler on the front cover or do I have to find something special? The pass side of the center part of the nose (between the center line and where the dip is for the park lights and trim) has a recess in it, almost what could be considered a dent.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 84 camaro, 88 trans am, 98 camaro
Engine: Modded , stock, LSX modded
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, t-56
Axle/Gears: 327, 308, 373

I used a flex agent in my primmer/seal coat a few years back and It was recommended... my parts ( front bumper/ front GFX and rear bumper) have cracked since then (the top side of my fiberglass hood did not however and seems to be holding up fine i plan to hand said most of that coat down and re-spray. instead of sanding the bumpers and GFX by hand again im going to have them soda blasted... When i prep the under side of my fiberglass hood i ask a few people about adding a flex agent, One guy at the place i buy paint said: No you don't need one. Why? because today's primers, paints etc are much more advanced they don't even use flex in factory paints anymore as far as im aware... So im painting a fiberglass hood it flex's alot you can guarantee me that im not going to have problems? Yes apsolotoy wont have any problems...

Name:  Picture067.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  126.3 KB

Name:  Picture214.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  Picture032.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  76.5 KB