Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

What to do...Firebird Dilemma.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1990 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 V8
What to do...Firebird Dilemma.

Ok, so I bought my car in August 2009 for $3200 which saved the car from the cash for clunkers program. When I bought it the only problems were some minor rust around the rear wheel wells and below the doors, also the t-top weather stripping was starting to go and the wrap around spoiler wasn't in good shape. This summer I started the rust repair and got through most of it with only a few patches left for the spring. I was in a slight fender bender which forced me to buy a new hood and front bumper cover for $300. I'm 19 and in college which means a have a very limited amount of money to work with. I've been back and forth for months on wether or not to put money into my car to keep it, or cut my losses and upgrade to a 2000-04 mustang. I really love my car, but sometimes all the small thing with it get me real frustrated. So here are my options for my cars future.

Option 1- Bite the bullet and spend the summer working and dumping a good bit of money into my car. $400 for a new spoiler, $300 for new weatherstripping, and about $600 for a quick maaco or earl schieb paint job (with me doing my own prep and body work). Plus any other thing i'm forgetting. This will allow me to keep my car for a few years with it being in good condition.

Option 2- Try to sell the car as is. I really don't think I want to sell my car but i've been considering it. As is, with it needing paint, include the parts for it, and everything listed above. I feel I would only get around $2000-$2200. (anyone else feel different on that price or am I assuming the right amount?)

Option 3- The last option would be to throw a cheap maaco/earl schieb paint job on it which should last about 2 years, clean it up as nice as possible, and try to get around $3000 for it.

I know this is THO and everyone here, including myself, loves thirdgens, but I feel like im stuck between a rock and a hard place. really would like to hear everyones honest opinions. If you think I should try to fix and keep or if you think I should try to give it to someone else who has the resourses to fix it, please let me know. I've been trying to decide before I start putting money in it, and I hope this thread will help a little in my descion. The car, besides those few problems is in good shape, and great running condition, not to mention I keep the interior real clean. Thanks for the help and i look forward to the replys. THANKS!!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L31-R 350 w/ EBL P4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: What to do...Firebird Dilemma.

I'm in the same boat. I'm 18, little money, and my car is always breaking down. It's not reliable and it costs a lot to keep it up. I don't think I'll sell it though.

What I'm going to do is work full time all summer and make about $4000 and buy myself a crappy honda for driving. Then I'll just park my third gen in my parents garage and drive the honda daily.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro IrocZ
Engine: Holley Stealth Ram 385 Stroker
Transmission: Redline Performance 700r4 Trans
Axle/Gears: Bulletproof 4thGen Ls1 SS Rear 3.73

Just my opinion an early 00-04 mustang isn't an upgrade.
-
Bite the bullet and fix her up. when u have the spare money, Cosmetic stuff aren't essential stuff that is NEEDED. Make it so the car runs good without problems. then save up for the cosmetic stuff further down the road
Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 PM

Car: '84 Berlinetta,
Engine: 5.0 liter

Originally Posted by Dartht33bagger
I'm in the same boat. I'm 18, little money, and my car is always breaking down. It's not reliable and it costs a lot to keep it up. I don't think I'll sell it though.

What I'm going to do is work full time all summer and make about $4000 and buy myself a crappy honda for driving. Then I'll just park my third gen in my parents garage and drive the honda daily.
You've got the right idea. I spent many years using my project cars as daily drivers and it was a pain! get a cheap,reliable little beater and park your 3rd gen until you get out of college. There's nothing worse than working 'til midnight on your car because you need to drive it to work the next morning!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Slash
Just my opinion an early 00-04 mustang isn't an upgrade.
-
Bite the bullet and fix her up. when u have the spare money, Cosmetic stuff aren't essential stuff that is NEEDED. Make it so the car runs good without problems. then save up for the cosmetic stuff further down the road
I was a little vague when I said upgrade to mustang. I meant change to a newer year car. I don't really like 4th gen camaros and firebirds so the mustang would be my choice. Going from a 20 year old car to a 10 year old car is a big difference if you get the right one. I wouldn't have to worry about a lot of the little stuff for 5 years or so.
-The car does run good, I just have to try to keep it there.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by bondojunkie
You've got the right idea. I spent many years using my project cars as daily drivers and it was a pain! get a cheap,reliable little beater and park your 3rd gen until you get out of college. There's nothing worse than working 'til midnight on your car because you need to drive it to work the next morning!
(Im going to community college to save quite a few grand before transfering to Ohio State hopefully, so right now i'm just commuting from home) I have thought about getting a beater car as a daily driver, but I live on a highway and we already have 4 cars in our driveway, my dads work car up on the side road, and his 65 buick electra project car in the garage. That would have deffinitley been an option if I had had the room. I made a small TO DO list for my bird and it is mostly cosmetic. Maybe I can work out a loan or payment plan with my dad so I can fix my car in the spring and pay him back in the summer when I'm working. I currently, and have been, leaning towards kepping it.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 PM

Honestly the only thing you NEED on that list is the weatherstripping. You could drive it around with a crap paint job and spoiler until your older.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 PM

I could drive around a rusted out crap civic, but I don't want to lol. But ya, I know what your saying. I have to deal with it sooner or later no matter which option I choose. Quick fix and sold would get me back even money with a newer car, and keeping it and fixing it would keep eating at my pocket. I guess any car will do that to you, unless your one of those 5 year and buy a new car kind of guy. It would be really hard to sell my car, and fixing it wouldn't be THAT bad in terms of money. I just need to try to come up with a gameplan. If I had a bit more money and didn't live in snowy Pittsburgh, selling it wouldn't be a thought.
BTW Darth, your camaro looks real good.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4

just an FYI a 10 yo car can be just as shity as a 20 yo car, its the millage that kills it, not the age so much. i say keep the 3rd gen, youve already started putting money into, why sell it and then hafta start putting money into another car? also i say dont waste your money on the looks of the car, fix the rust and make it reliable THEN save money for a GOOD paint job why waste the time and money to get a 600 dollar shity paint job ever 2 years when you could save 600 and then save up over those 2 years and get a paint job that will last 20 years
Old 12-30-2010, 12:02 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Transmission: WC T-5 (slushbox)
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Yeah I agree with camaro cj, If you think you would like to to keep this car for awhile, and maybe later on when you start making money fix it up nice, then a cheap quick fix paint job is not the way to go. Spend the $ to get the body welded up properly, rattle can over it and call it done.That $#1TTY paint job would be a big deal if you ever decided you wanted the the fixed and painted properly. Really It all comes down to how long you see yourself owning that car.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:20 AM

DON'T SPAY PAINT YOUR CAR you have to STRIP the spray paint off since most spray paint is Krylon paint, it is incompatible with 2 stage paint. spray painting your car is worse then taking it to Maaco yes cover your welds with primer but dont spray paint the car
Old 12-30-2010, 12:25 AM

Car: 84 firebird, 85 transam
Engine: 350 SBC Or 7.07 Tonys,305stock
Transmission: Big Ugly, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4th gen rear disk 3.42 lsd,9 bolt

12 cans of primer = new paint job.... lol
Also You can get it in several different colors like white, black, grey, blue ish, and red ( rust color)

As far as cost I find it cheaper to maintain a 20+ year old car. new cars have more expensive parts.IMO

Last edited by Blown84Bird; 12-30-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: primer color options lol
Old 12-30-2010, 12:31 AM

im not saying primer the whole car im saying primer the spots he welds in, im asuming hes not welding in alot
Old 12-30-2010, 12:46 AM

The rust isn't that bad so I wouldn't have to cut and weld in any sections. Here is a link to an older thread I started in September after I started the basic work getting it ready to fight through winter. (Looks like I had big plans for it back then lol)
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...-progress.html
I sanded most of the major rust spots on the cars body, put 2 coats of rustoleum on, and the 2 coats of primer. I couldn't find my body color before it got too late, but that was my plan.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:48 AM

Car: 1989 Trans am

Im pretty much in the same pickle, 19 and in community college, I barely drive my trans am since I don't trust it so I only take it to church sometimes. I paid 1k, it runs ok but, its going to need new paint, fix or replace fenders,hood, wing, seats,dash pad, transmission (it jerks a bit when I accelerate) and a few other things.

I'm thinking about selling my TA and buying a good condition GTA or Camaro since I need a daily driver and want it to look good. I would buy a beater and save it but, I live in apartments and we are allowed 2 cars, we already have 4... I should have about 3-5k to buy a better condition 3rd gen if I sell my TA since I have a couple bucks saved up. I figure it will cost me way more fixing this one up than buying another in good condition.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:51 AM

just keep up your good work, im assuming your not driving it in the winter? chances of finding another one like that is rare so keep it unless you dont like it, in that case whyd you buy it? lol also my 5.0 tbi beat a 01 gt xD and faster is always funner
Old 12-30-2010, 12:59 AM

Ha, I wish I didn't have to drive it in the winter. It's my daily driver, and with all the cars we have people would think I could "borrow" another car, but I can't. I try to use my moms car whenever I can, and she usually doesn't mind, especially when it's pretty bad out. I don't go to far and this winter is good compared to the crap load of snow we had last year. Got a set of $200 studded tires for the bird last year for the winter.

@BillyTheGoat- It sounds like your Firebird is a lot more need of attention all the way around then mine. Those interior parts can get expensive. Bet you could find a good Firebird around your area for $5000 that won't need much attention.

I really do like my Firebird. I think it looks way better than any mustang does. It's just that sometimes it seems like it will take more money than I am able to spend on it to get it to where it should and deserves to be.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:04 AM

lol im 17 and have my TBI 90 RS with 130k on it runs fine i drive it about 200 miles a week. i only recently stoped driving it cuz my brother asked me to drive his 93 to school and paint it at school. so i said ok, i had a 80 3.8 that was my DD till i bought the 90 so now the 80s my project, my 80 cost me 1250 my 90 cost me 1000
Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 AM

Car: 1989 Trans am

It's not that bad. Firebirds are pretty rare around here, since no one wants to sell theirs. I'll probably have to look on ebay or here when I'm ready to buy one.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:00 AM

Another thing about having a second crappy car for DD, it doesn't matter if people crash into it or ding up your doors. Just one less thing to worry about. I know I worry about that constantly when I drive mine.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:49 AM

Hey guys, off subject but im new to this stuff and got a ?. I am debating on buying a '91 firebird right now and was wondering if anyone could tell me if its a good deal. Its t-tops, v6, power everything, interior is good, runs and drives with 150,000 miles , wheels and tires are good, and body is in almost perfect shape other than the nose clip needs paint due to a bra. Is $900.00 a good price? dont know if the v6 hurts its value alot??
Old 01-03-2011, 11:09 AM

I don't know what part of the country your from but for me if it runs and drives well id wanna know what has been done rencently. If the tires are good and fairly new that's 400 dollars or so right there so basically your loking at a 500 dollar car. If its rust free and you want a 3rd gen I say buy it
Old 01-03-2011, 12:34 PM

TN, It's all original nothing has been altered other than a pioneer cd player installed and it is completely rust free.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 GTA Trans Am
Engine: TPI
Transmission: T-5 World Class
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3:45

Punzak9, I've been in your situation before.... Sell the Formula and buy something else or spend the cash to fix it up. I bought my car in horrible shape (should have known better lol) but I was blinded by how strong it ran. We've been through hell together and things are just starting to look good 2 years late, and my car is still rough looks wise. Your car is in MUCH better shape then mine was..well still is in better shape then mine.lol But I wouldnt give up. Sometimes it's about the journey not so much the destination. Enjoy it, and fix it up over time when the funds allow. Newer cars have issues too. It just costs way less to fix ours problems. Oh and I dont know what it is but thirdgens still have an alure to them out there...

Hey YoungGun91, if the car is in great shape I say go for it. Even if it is a v6 you will have a decent platform to start with if you chose to mod it. The cleaner the car, the less work you have to do to to keep it in shape.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM

I think you guys are right. I'm just going to try to suck it up this spring and summer, save up the money first then work on trying to fix up the bird. (Going to be a little tough cuz, im impatient and love taking my formula out to the car cruises lol) The more I've been looking at the mustangs now, the less they are appealing to me anyways. The car runs about 95% good. The 5% bad is small stuff like a rubbing noise when I turn the wheel, and the wheels probably need re-aligned. I always wanted to keep my car, but I was going through a rough patch with it, just like a girlfriend that you don't know if you want to break up with lol. However, I think I worked things out and got over my issues.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:40 PM

On a side note, before I bought my car I looked at 3 or 4 3rd gen camaros to buy. All were good, but not what I was looking for. Then I found my car and immediatley knew I wanted it. I didn't realize till later when I found this site that they were very similar cars. I think that the only car I would ever give up my car for is a 3rd gen camaro. The firebird look like small rockets to me cuz of the pointed nose, and the camaros look like a bad *** car. Very similar, but also very different.

@ YoungGun91, for $900 it sound like a good, deal. And if you were to find something horribly wrong mechanically down the road, you could almost get your money back by parting it out.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Car: 90 Formula -- tot resto in progress
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4 w/ 2500 stall, by Owen @ ARD
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi disc

from an old geezer with more miles than I care to admit.

Between 16 & late 20's, things that passed through my possession include:
-- a cherry 56 chevy 2-door coupe
-- a 57 chevy tudor sedan
-- a 65 Impala SS (396 4-speed) coupe
-- a 70 SS-396 (4-speed) Chevelle
And the story was always the same... needed daily transportation,
upkeep, etc. Imagine if you can, what kind of project any of those
would have resulted in when I could finally do things "right".
And its absolutely true, that hobby/project cars, and daily reliable
transportation are largely exclusive.

But these thirdgens are on the way to becoming the same kind of
collector/restoration project items, as above. So if in your heart-of-hearts,
you're a gearhead, well once a gearhead, always a gearhead. Is there
ANY way to store this, or get a really cheep beater for the times
when you can't get the current work done in time? I GUARANTEE
there will come a time you will rue the day you sold it for a few
bucks to help finance some other daily wheels.

Good luck, I hope you help us keep the breed alive.

kk
Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am Limited Edition
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r w/ stage 2 shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.42

kinda the same situation now, i just bought back my 85 trans am i had when i was a freshman in high school, i'm selling my 88 pontiac lemans because i just don't like it at all, buyin a 93 mazda 4 door 5 speed as my dd till i get the ta goin again
Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: 3.4L V6
Transmission: auto

Same pickle as what some others said.

I refuse to sell mines though, I bought an XJ cherokee temporarily to get me around. Currently a freshman in college and cant afford much. I actually blew the engine in mines. I parked it in the garage, already started buying parts to put her back together again. New enginem trans, interior, currently doing the body work. I did however buy my car for 1000 bucks.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:19 PM

Car: 92 firebird, 95 Z28
Engine: LO3, LT1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 4th gen posi(x2)

My advice would be to keep what you have and appreciate it for what it is. I've gone through a bunch of cars (when I was 21 I sold my 90 RS and bought an 04 mustang gt new because I had the crazy idea that a payment would be easier than the camaro's unplanned repairs) Owned some fourth gens since then and I've now had my 92 for about 5 years. The thing to remember is finding one of these cars that's not been beat to he'll and back is hard to do, have honest expectations about appearance items on a car this old and expect that if you buy another one to probably have to put alot into it as well (most all of them NEED bushings, weatherstripping, shocks+struts, paint....etc) worry about the drivability of the car first- get that rubbing fixed and do the weatherstripping. Fix what you can yourself body wise to get the rust taken care of- don't worry about paint so much just now- it will need alot to be the show worthy so don't worry about that- you can always have the paint done later when you can actually afford to do it right.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks for all the advice. As of now i got my job all ligned up for the summer, so I'm looking at $4,000. So either during the summer or next winter, Im going to order all my parts which ill cost just over $1500, and then I'll drop about $1500 for paint from a local shop.
- I also figured out how I can still go to the car cruises and not look like some punk kid who brings his beat up ride and tries to show it off lol. I'll just stick a cardboard sign in the windshiel that reads "work in progress" and hang a blown up photo I have of the car off the inside of the hood. (The blew up my avatar pic and framed it on my wall in my room)