Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Getting a camaro, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010 | 01:32 AM

Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird GTA
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt
Getting a camaro, advice?

Hello guys, im getting an 84 Camaro for a couple hundred bucks in a few days. The car is a roller, steel wheels w/ good tires no engine/transmission/exhaust and most of the interior is gone. I really want a camaro of this year because it has the slam shut style hatch and dosent have popups like my 87 firebird and plus they just look meaner.

Right now I drive an 87 bird that has a 383 stroker/t56/3.42 10 bolt posi, alot has been done to this car and looks almost new. But i want a camaro. Im going to swap EVERYTHING into the camaro including suspension because its all new also. First of all the camaro needs a door, will my firebird door fit perfectly? Neither cars have graphics on the doors. Next i will be putting an 2002 camaro dash/ door panels/ seats/ and console, but will the rear interior out of my GTA fit the camaro? Where can i get a great deal on a complete weatherstripping including t tops stripping? Lastly, does anyone have any pics of what GTA wheels look like on a camaro? Thanks
Old 12-01-2010 | 07:19 AM

Car: 95 Z85 S10, 99 Formula
Engine: 4.3 CPI , LS1
Transmission: NV3500, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42
Re: Getting a camaro, advice?

1. yes the door will fit.

2. the rear interior, you mean the plastics for the sail panel and hatch? yes but if your firebird had the light near the hatch release, it will be a dud in the 84.

3. Try Summit or Rock auto, not sure on what the prices are but they usually have good prices on everything.
Old 12-02-2010 | 12:16 AM

Re: Getting a camaro, advice?

Originally Posted by Dr. Phil
Hello guys, im getting an 84 Camaro for a couple hundred bucks in a few days. The car is a roller, steel wheels w/ good tires no engine/transmission/exhaust and most of the interior is gone. I really want a camaro of this year because it has the slam shut style hatch and dosent have popups like my 87 firebird and plus they just look meaner.

Right now I drive an 87 bird that has a 383 stroker/t56/3.42 10 bolt posi, alot has been done to this car and looks almost new. But i want a camaro. Im going to swap EVERYTHING into the camaro including suspension because its all new also. First of all the camaro needs a door, will my firebird door fit perfectly? Neither cars have graphics on the doors. Next i will be putting an 2002 camaro dash/ door panels/ seats/ and console, but will the rear interior out of my GTA fit the camaro? Where can i get a great deal on a complete weatherstripping including t tops stripping? Lastly, does anyone have any pics of what GTA wheels look like on a camaro? Thanks
If you look around on the site there are some pics of Camaros with GTA wheels, personally I don't like them on Camaros but I really don't like that style of wheel at all. If you check craigslist you can usually find some decent IROC wheels at a decent price. Come to think of it the 1992 Camaro special heritage edition had them on, I'm unsure of the actual name of the car but there was only 1 made I think there is videos of it on youtube.

Just another piece of advice instead of parting what sounds like a really nice GTA out, why don't you find another parts car and finish this Camaro off that way? I'm sure for what you could sell the GTA for, if you went bargain hunting (craigslist, ebay) you could find all the pieces you need and have a sweet ride.