Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Aftermarket roof panel/skin

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010 | 12:03 AM

Car: White 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI LB9, 215 HP
Transmission: Borg-Warner T5 NWC
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 7.75 with 3.27 ratio
Aftermarket roof panel/skin

Hello All!!

Has anybody found a source/supplier, other than a junk yard for a new steel roof panel?

P.S. Would another generation of Camaro fit???
Old 11-30-2010 | 10:11 AM

Re: Aftermarket roof panel/skin

Originally Posted by 87IROC-DAN61
Hello All!!

Has anybody found a source/supplier, other than a junk yard for a new steel roof panel?

P.S. Would another generation of Camaro fit???
I have never seen any roof skins anywhere or door skins which I would think would sell quite well.

I also don't believe that another generation of roof skin would work (I'm assuming you have a hardtop) since the 1st and 2nd gens are quite different and all 4th gens are t top cars where the hardtop cars just have a plastic panel where the t tops go. I'm actually kind of disappointed with the amount of aftermarket parts that don't exist yet (full quarter panel, door skins, 91-92 fenders) but I guess the good thing is there is still parts cars available and junkyards that have them.
Old 11-30-2010 | 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by hardon85
I have never seen any roof skins anywhere or door skins which I would think would sell quite well.

I also don't believe that another generation of roof skin would work (I'm assuming you have a hardtop) since the 1st and 2nd gens are quite different and all 4th gens are t top cars where the hardtop cars just have a plastic panel where the t tops go. I'm actually kind of disappointed with the amount of aftermarket parts that don't exist yet (full quarter panel, door skins, 91-92 fenders) but I guess the good thing is there is still parts cars available and junkyards that have them.
Hello hardon85!!

I found a part # for roof skins less the inner supports in an old 1991 GM Performance catalogue. Part # 10156386 and VPI has two of them!! My local Chevrolet dealer guy called up VPI, and VPI told him that they were actually dented pretty bad!! So, being the hard to convince type of person that I am without visual proof, I asked if they could send a digital camera picture, the response was that they decided to scrap them cause they were dented really bad, and were not considered usable!!

Guess what?

That was two weeks ago, and they still appear on VPI's web site!!

I guess that they can't be too dented up, if they still appear there!!!

I bet my new Chevrolet parts guy didn't even ask for the digital picture!!

P.S. Yes, I do have a hard top, but it would be for the two t-top cars that I have also!!

We get alot of rain here in the Pacific Northwest, and I really don't care for t-tops (they came with the cars, sort of had no choice, I really wanted the cars though) and I had an idea..........replace t-tops with hard tops, that way the rain doesn't get into the car!!!

I guess I'm stuck with the junk yard pickings!!!

P.S.S. Wild idea..........5th gen hard top on a thirdgen..........!!!!!

Photoshop anyone??????

Last edited by 87IROC-DAN61; 11-30-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2010 | 12:04 AM

Hello hardon85!!

I found a part # for roof skins less the inner supports in an old 1991 GM Performance catalogue. Part # 10156386 and VPI has two of them!! My local Chevrolet dealer guy called up VPI, and VPI told him that they were actually dented pretty bad!! So, being the hard to convince type of person that I am without visual proof, I asked if they could send a digital camera picture, the response was that they decided to scrap them cause they were dented really bad, and were not considered usable!!

Guess what?

That was two weeks ago, and they still appear on VPI's web site!!

I guess that they can't be too dented up, if they still appear there!!!

I bet my new Chevrolet parts guy didn't even ask for the digital picture!!

P.S. Yes, I do have a hard top, but it would be for the two t-top cars that I have also!!

We get alot of rain here in the Pacific Northwest, and I really don't care for t-tops (they came with the cars, sort of had no choice, I really wanted the cars though) and I had an idea..........replace t-tops with hard tops, that way the rain doesn't get into the car!!!

I guess I'm stuck with the junk yard pickings!!!

P.S.S. Wild idea..........5th gen hard top on a thirdgen..........!!!!!

Photoshop anyone??????
just out of curiosity why do you want a new skin? If you look around on craigslist there are plenty of 3rd gen camaro parts cars. And cutting the roof skin off of another car and grafting it on your car would be much cheaper than all the fabrication of getting a different generation roof skin to work.
Old 12-01-2010 | 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by hardon85
just out of curiosity why do you want a new skin? If you look around on craigslist there are plenty of 3rd gen camaro parts cars. And cutting the roof skin off of another car and grafting it on your car would be much cheaper than all the fabrication of getting a different generation roof skin to work.
Hello hardon85!!

The original idea was just to get a good thirdgen roof from the junk yard, but I started to sniff around the internet for "new metal", and I didn't find any, so, my sniffing turned up the part # that I quoted in the old Performance Parts catalogue that I had, and well that led to VPI, and the let down, and then I got to thinking what would the 5th gen roof look like, on a thirdgen!!

Being that the 5th gen is new, there's gotta be new metal around from the "General"!!

Old 12-01-2010 | 01:05 AM

Are you even sure the 5th gen roof is metal?
Old 12-01-2010 | 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS
Are you even sure the 5th gen roof is metal?
Hello AmorgetRS!!

Sure go ahead and ruin my idea!!!

JK.........

I'm not sure if it's metal or not, but I do believe that it is!!

Are you good with photoshop?

How about photoshopping that idea for me?

Old 12-01-2010 | 09:30 AM

Are you a master fabricator? If not... forget the idea. The 5th gen roof has nothing in common with the Thirdgen roof. You would probably be better off starting from scratch by the time you got done.
Old 12-02-2010 | 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS
Are you a master fabricator? If not... forget the idea. The 5th gen roof has nothing in common with the Thirdgen roof. You would probably be better off starting from scratch by the time you got done.
Hello AmorgetRS!!

No, I'm by no means a "master fabricator", but I do know a few good ones!!

I'd still like to find a "new" real steel roof for a thirdgen!!

Too bad that there isn't something on the market!!

1st, 2nd, and 4th generation Camaros have an aftermarket roof, why not the 3rd??!!

I bet the 5th generation Camaro will have an aftermarket roof before the 3rd!!

Old 12-03-2010 | 08:54 PM

Car: They all sit.
Engine: LB9,LB9, LS1, LT4, LT4
Transmission: T5, T5, 4L60, T56, T56

a body show around here pulled up a replacement part for the roof for my 92. was a 900 part. looked like the a pillars and just the top where it meets the b pillars. i told them i could buy an whole car for that price.

get a parts car for cheap and search for the t-top conversion thread on here, great detail on replacing any roof on a 3rd gen. part the car out cut the roof and be ahead of the game in cost
Old 12-04-2010 | 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by jer4251
a body show around here pulled up a replacement part for the roof for my 92. was a 900 part. looked like the a pillars and just the top where it meets the b pillars. i told them i could buy an whole car for that price.

get a parts car for cheap and search for the t-top conversion thread on here, great detail on replacing any roof on a 3rd gen. part the car out cut the roof and be ahead of the game in cost
Hello jer4251!!

$900.00 for a new roof, man, that's a real PITA!!

It should be the real deal though by what your describing!!

The GM Parts manual shows that exact same piece, and it should have a piece between the A pillars at the bottom that goes across the top of the cowl!!

I missed one from a 1986 Camaro for $75.00 at my local pick a part, I just didn't get there in time, after procrastinating for about four weeks about it!!

I went one day to get it, and they had taken the car to the crusher!!

No one to blame but myself!!

Old 12-04-2010 | 07:41 AM
Supreme Member

stop using exclamation points!!
Old 12-04-2010 | 02:07 PM

Car: They all sit.
Engine: LB9,LB9, LS1, LT4, LT4
Transmission: T5, T5, 4L60, T56, T56

Hello jer4251!!

$900.00 for a new roof, man, that's a real PITA!!

It should be the real deal though by what your describing!!

The GM Parts manual shows that exact same piece, and it should have a piece between the A pillars at the bottom that goes across the top of the cowl!!

I missed one from a 1986 Camaro for $75.00 at my local pick a part, I just didn't get there in time, after procrastinating for about four weeks about it!!

I went one day to get it, and they had taken the car to the crusher!!

No one to blame but myself!!

thats the one!!
Old 12-04-2010 | 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by puma1552
stop using exclamation points!!
Hello puma1552!!

I need them to get my point across!!!!!!!!!!!

It's like talking too fast, this way I can slowwww it down!!

Old 12-04-2010 | 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by jer4251
thats the one!!
Hello jer4251!!

How long ago was it, that you saw this roof, or at least these people pulled up the part?

Where did they get it?

Old 12-05-2010 | 01:29 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 385
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt

You'll need more than a skin to go from T-top to hard top. Used roof would be best way IMO. With about a 4 inch window in quarter skin, you can get to the welds on the center pillar. The inner can be taken loose from factory spots easily too. I went from a rusted out hard top to a T-top roof from my 84 that I wrecked. Turned out nice I think. PM me if you need further info. Pics in my album.
Old 12-06-2010 | 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by white gold 88
You'll need more than a skin to go from T-top to hard top. Used roof would be best way IMO. With about a 4 inch window in quarter skin, you can get to the welds on the center pillar. The inner can be taken loose from factory spots easily too. I went from a rusted out hard top to a T-top roof from my 84 that I wrecked. Turned out nice I think. PM me if you need further info. Pics in my album.
Hello white gold 88!!

I've basically resigned myself to the fact that I'll be cutting a roof off of a Thirdgen someday...........just got to keep looking!!!!

I missed one by.........well probably a few days at least!!

There is/was a member on these boards that did a roof replacement complete with pictures.........I'll search it out again one of these days!! He made it look easy...........for a welder!!

Old 12-06-2010 | 04:40 PM

When you get ready you know how to get in touch with me. I'll be glad to help any way I can. There's a lot of info on the net, not all of it is what the manufacturers recommend or been tested, recommended by anyone other than Johnny at his drop and chop shop. The roof is critical to the structure of your car and should be replaced with that in mind. There's lots of ways to do anything to a car. Just because it's on the net, well.....

BTW Stay safe and thanks.
Old 12-06-2010 | 06:34 PM

When you get ready you know how to get in touch with me. I'll be glad to help any way I can. There's a lot of info on the net, not all of it is what the manufacturers recommend or been tested, recommended by anyone other than Johnny at his drop and chop shop. The roof is critical to the structure of your car and should be replaced with that in mind. There's lots of ways to do anything to a car. Just because it's on the net, well.....

BTW Stay safe and thanks.
Hello white gold 88!!

P.S. When I get around to doing this.............modification, I'll be sure to look you up!!

Old 12-06-2010 | 07:23 PM

Dan, if you do find a roof, be sure to get them or you to cut as much as you can get. Make the cut on donor car at least 1/2 way down a-pillars and sail panels. The extra will come in handy when it's time to put on.
Old 12-06-2010 | 10:44 PM

Dan, if you do find a roof, be sure to get them or you to cut as much as you can get. Make the cut on donor car at least 1/2 way down a-pillars and sail panels. The extra will come in handy when it's time to put on.
Hello white gold 88!!

Gotcha!!

That was my plan, you can never have too much, but you sure can have not enough!!