Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Difference between 3rd & 4th Gen frames

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between 3rd & 4th Gen frames

Guys,

I'm not real good on searches and please do not kill me for asking this. I know some of you have a lot of body experience, can anyone tell me if there is a huge difference in the body mounting points between the two generations of cars. I have a fiberglass kit that is for third gen car front clip and hood bolts in place of original sheet metal and rear clip goes over the rear with a little modification to the body and up the sail panels. If anyone has some ideas please let me know.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2010, 12:42 AM

Re: Difference between 3rd & 4th Gen frames

Originally Posted by Evolusion
Guys,

I'm not real good on searches and please do not kill me for asking this. I know some of you have a lot of body experience, can anyone tell me if there is a huge difference in the body mounting points between the two generations of cars. I have a fiberglass kit that is for third gen car front clip and hood bolts in place of original sheet metal and rear clip goes over the rear with a little modification to the body and up the sail panels. If anyone has some ideas please let me know.

Thanks
Well first things first no Camaro or Firebird has ever had a "frame" so to speak, they are ALL unibody cars. So what this means is there are no mounting points at least for the rear of the car, however I have never heard of anyone putting a 4th gen front end on a 3rd gen so I would have no idea about fender and door mounts. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but I don't think it would be a very easy accomplishment,
Old 10-12-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by hardon85
Well first things first no Camaro or Firebird has ever had a "frame" so to speak, they are ALL unibody cars. So what this means is there are no mounting points at least for the rear of the car, however I have never heard of anyone putting a 4th gen front end on a 3rd gen so I would have no idea about fender and door mounts. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but I don't think it would be a very easy accomplishment,

Yep knew they were unibody. What I'm asking is...I have a fiberglass front end that take place of all sheet metal and a rear end that fits over the 3rd gen rear end up to the doors & "B" pillars with some metal cutting....now the question I guess I'm asking would better be answered by an experienced body person...but here goes again.....in relationship to the 3rd gen car did GM move the windshield,doors or rear hatch to new positions on the 4th gen cars. Did they lengthen the wheelbase or make the body wider in any place. Hope someone know that will keep me from cutting up 4th gen car to find out. BTW for your answer!

Evo
Old 10-12-2010, 08:03 AM

I doubt the kit for a 3rd gen will fit anything other then a 3rd gen.The 4th gen the body is differently shaped.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 AM

Car: 95 Z85 S10, 99 Formula
Engine: 4.3 CPI , LS1
Transmission: NV3500, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42

i'll just speak on what i know.

the wheelbase is the same

the floorpans are the same

seeing how some 4th gen door panels find their way onto 3rd gens, i'm going to say the doors are relatively the same.

the windshield is sloped, very sloped.

that hatch is a different shape but i could pop it open and see what it looks like along the roof.

they're essentially the same, the 4th gens basically have a facelift and a different powertrain
what are you trying to achieve?