Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

quarter panel repair info

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quarter panel repair info

the rear driver side fender flare on my 89 camaro was damaged by the previous owner and i am going to get a new quarter skin for it to get the original shape back. i was looking to see if someone has done this and can tell me where the skin ends and if it wraps around to the inside of the door jamb and hatch jamb areas. if not i think it would be better for me to cut one from a salvage yard and be able to cut from those areas. any help is appreciated. found one guy mention it from a search and it sounded like it would need a lot of filler.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:52 PM

Car: 90 Camaro
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Re: quarter panel repair info

I tried to take pictures of the areas you asked about. Let me know if you need any more pics.
Attached Thumbnails quarter panel repair info-img_4132.jpg   quarter panel repair info-img_4133.jpg   quarter panel repair info-img_4134.jpg  
Old 08-27-2010, 05:22 PM

thanks g-reg that is what i was looking for. are you selling those or where did you get them?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Car: 90 Camaro
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Originally Posted by jz28maxx
thanks g-reg that is what i was looking for. are you selling those or where did you get them?
I work at a place that sells them. We're not a vendor here though so I won't mention the name, don't want to step on any toes..
Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 AM

Car: 97 Cummins 92 CamaroZ28, 94 GSXR750
Engine: Modded 5.9 , carbed sbc358, modded
Transmission: Nv4500, 700R4 (for now)
Axle/Gears: stock

How are you planning on attaching this to the car? I recommend panel bond over welding it. I replaced the quarter on my car with a skin, well I started on it right before I went into the hospital and was somewhat able to help finish it. If you need any help feel free to ask. I've replaced a couple panels and supervised a few more. Remember you don't have to replace the entire panel, save urself time by just replacing the damaged area.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by G-reg
I work at a place that sells them. We're not a vendor here though so I won't mention the name, don't want to step on any toes..
understood, thanks for the help.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by 92z28camarokid
How are you planning on attaching this to the car? I recommend panel bond over welding it. I replaced the quarter on my car with a skin, well I started on it right before I went into the hospital and was somewhat able to help finish it. If you need any help feel free to ask. I've replaced a couple panels and supervised a few more. Remember you don't have to replace the entire panel, save urself time by just replacing the damaged area.
i was planning on welding it. that is why i was interested to see if the panel edges wraped around to the inside of the door and hatch to be welded in those areas avoiding a seam on the outside surface of the body that would need to be smoothed.(except for the sail panel of course) I have not done this type of work so i do not really know exactly how it works. I thought about cutting a fender flare from a doner car because that is the only area that is damaged and the rest is ok and solid.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Car: 97 Cummins 92 CamaroZ28, 94 GSXR750
Engine: Modded 5.9 , carbed sbc358, modded
Transmission: Nv4500, 700R4 (for now)
Axle/Gears: stock

Originally Posted by jz28maxx
i was planning on welding it. that is why i was interested to see if the panel edges wraped around to the inside of the door and hatch to be welded in those areas avoiding a seam on the outside surface of the body that would need to be smoothed.(except for the sail panel of course) I have not done this type of work so i do not really know exactly how it works. I thought about cutting a fender flare from a doner car because that is the only area that is damaged and the rest is ok and solid.
Do some research into panel bonding. I recommend it to everyone instead of welding. The chance of messing things up is a lot more with welding. Soon I will do a write up on the process of my car that will include; body work, fiberglass work, panel replacement, frame straightening, painting process. I did the entire build (except enginge) myself with the help of a few friends and a very good shop teacher, so I learned a lot about these cars and a lot about body work.

Save some money and get the fender flare, just cut out as much extra as possible so you have room to work with it. I got an entire quarter panel skin when I did mine and Im just going to let you know when u go to cut our the replacment fender it can get prtty tricky
Old 09-04-2010, 01:21 PM

thanks for the help. i am starting to wonder if both quarters have been replaced already. the sail panels on both sides have been repainted and it is very obvious but the rest of the quarters are a perfect match as far as the paint. can not think of any reason why they had to fix and paint those areas on both sides. not likely to get hit in those areas i would not think. guess i will find out when i start taking it down. and it is a hard top car.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should know that the quarter panel posted by G-Reg is more of a patch panel than an actual replacement quarter. The original quarter panels were bonded up along the roof line.

As far as panel bonding goes, I personally am not crazy about the idea, but I have read from experienced body guys on message boards such as Chevy Talk that this is the way the industry is going and they're a lot better than they have been.

You're going to have to make your own decision on that one. I would say panel bonding is meant for something that was original spot welded on a vehicle, IMHO, but where you need to actually have a true weld and not a spot weld, such as where that quarter panel is going to be fitted to the roof line or the b-pillar on that patch panel above, I would think panel bonding would be out.

Also take into consideration the quarter panels on this car are the largest structural component.

If you want to see some good pics of where the quarter panel bonds to the roof do a search for threads in the fabrication section for guys who converted from or to t-tops from a hard top.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius; 09-04-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23

Originally Posted by Mathius
Also take into consideration the quarter panels on this car are the largest structural component.
Indeed. The ¼ panel is the only metal there is around the glass from the B pillar to the tail light panel. There is nothing else there. That's why the ¼s crush like a alum can when these cars get smacked in the rear.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

I never heard of panel bonding before so I checked it out. This video recommends that some parts still need to be welded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXrGJ_D4CWg
Old 11-20-2011, 03:13 PM

where do you get just the fender flares? I am looking to do this myself