Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

First time third gen future owner what do you suggest and why

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time third gen future owner what do you suggest and why

I am getting into a 3rd gen camaro which year do you recommend and why?

I have been looking at a couple 1le and b4c camaros however it seems most have tons of miles and arent that clean.

I am looking for preferably a 5 speed 4 wheel disc brakes something to cruise and race at the track on the weekends. Anyone have any suggestions of good years to get?

Matt
Old 08-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: First time third gen future owner what do you suggest and why

90 is the best year IMO--the only year that combines that WAY nicer (IMO) gauges/airbagged wheel with the way cleaner (again IMO) ground effects. Lowest Camaro production year though, so tough to find clean ones.

85-90 used the nicest GFX, 90-92 used a bagged wheel and different gauge cluster, and a little more rounded dash surfaces. Thus, 90 models are easily identifiable. I do think though that 91-92 cars used orange needles on the dash, whereas 90 used yellow but I don't recall offhand.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Go 350 if possible as well.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

You won't find a 350 with a 5 speed - they were never a factory option. Definitely get a V8 - harder to swap in a V8 into a V6 car. And if you want a manual tranny it's much easier if you start with a manual car - but the 5 speed won't hold up to much abuse.

As with any car, get a straight one with as little rust as possible - everything beyond that is fixable with time & money.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

I second the 350 notion; I know you said you want a 5 speed, but IMO 350+auto>>305+5 speed.

305s blow, I know because I have one, granted it's a crappy TBI and not TPI but still, you'll be limited with the 305.

Think of it like this:

You can get a 305 and a 5 speed, but you will have to pull the 305 eventually to make any real power (and then eventually the 5 speed too since they are weak), or you can get a 350 auto and pull the auto to put in a T56 and be able to build the 350 (L98 is it's code).

Either way, you have to either pull the motor or pull the tranny, but if you go the 305 route you'll probably have to pull both, and the 305 cars aren't as desirable as the 350 cars, generally.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Supreme Member

Depends.... I always thought I wanted a '92 Camaro because I figured it was the latest offering of the third gens so it would have the most updated equipment. But when I bought one I realized with the emissions standards in my state and county I was limited to the amount of modifications I could make.

I would have been better off with an '82, which would fit the 25 year emissions exemption.

You also have to consider some other things.. if you want a v8, do you want speed density, or a MAF setup?

Do you even want a stock engine? Again, check your local emissions standards.

What type of GFX do you want on the car, and are you willing to make modifications if the engine setup you want doesn't meet the GFX setup you want, or do you want a stock offering that you don't need to mess with?

Do you want a stock car, or do you plan on doing some mods.

Are you happy with a project car where you might have to do some things to get what you want, or do you want one fully stock and complete in good shape and ready to go with as many options as you can get.

Mathius
Old 08-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Mathius

You also have to consider some other things.. if you want a v8, do you want speed density, or a MAF setup?
Good point, speed density cars are 90-92, MAF are the earlier cars. Generally MAF is more desirable--except on these cars, they are the exception--speed density is considered easier to deal with.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:10 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z w/T-tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4

The best advice? Determine what YOU want and go find it. It's really that simple. It may take some time but nothing is better than finding the ideal car. If you rush into it, you may end up disappointed with what you buy. Obviously you get what you pay for in regards to mileage/condition, but don't be suckered into an overpriced car. Likewise, don't buy a rust bucket simply because the price is cheap. Do your homework, take your time, and find the right car.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 AM

Car: 91 Camaro/bird
Engine: TBD
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 273LSD

Well if you are asking opinions, I would go with an 82 model for the 4 speed tranny. I have seen them stand up to much more abuse than the 5 speeds. Also, since this would be a 305 car, the engine would only be temporary. If you can stand to be without AC, try to find one that does not have factory air, that way if/WHEN you pull the 305 out, your options arent limited to small block. With no AC box to worry about, a big block comes into the picture very nicely. Of course, its still a project, but one with an amazing payoff. But it really just depends on what you are looking for. If youre just looking for something to cruise around in and are more into creature comforts than power, try checking out a berlinetta
Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts

If you HAVE to have a 5 speed Camaro, I'd look for a 1986-87 IROC, and preferably an 87 since the third brake light doesn't look as out of place. Look for a TPI car if you want simplicity and reliability, as well as the added power. If you like the 1988-90 wheels (which I don't), then I'd consider those cars (88-90 IROC) as well. Can't go wrong with a 1991-92 Z28 either, although I'd prefer an IROC personally as the spoiler is much more sedated.

If you're looking to do any mods, I'd consider an automatic car unless you want to swap the T5 out for a T56 since the T5s won't handle much more than stock horsepower.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 IROC Z, 92 RS
Engine: 305 4bbl, 305 TBI

Well, I guess I can throw my opinion here. First, I would stay away from cross fire injection. They quit using cf after 83. Get a V8. Don't be afraid of 305's! They are not the fastest engines, but are bullet proof, reliable, and sound good. I like the 700r4 (automatic).

I have an 86 IROC, and it has the third break light on the outside. I was discusted with it at first, and I have had plenty of opportunities to swap the back window for one w/o one, but now I think it is vintage.

Third gens have a reputation for being beaten and abused, with some truth to this, so look for tell tale signs, like; badly warn rear tires, cigarette burns on upolstery and carpet. Lots of things wrong at a time. Previous owners who take care of there cars keep up on maintenance. Check if oil is really black, check tranny fluid for brown or blackness. I can't think of everything, but look for signs if abuse and neglect.

I get suspicious if I see sub woofers. Maybe just me
Old 08-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Don't get me wrong, I love my Camaro. That said , If I were to do it over again I would have held out for a 350 with auto. put in a Eaton posi. unit with 3.42 gears and a complete 3in. exhaust with headers. I have already done most of this with the 305 I have now but wish it had the 350's potential. I say hold out for a 350 Iroc or Z-28.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 08-26-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: add info.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird & 2002 Trans Am WS.6
Engine: 305 TBI & 5.7 350 LS1
Transmission: A4 & M6

I love my third gen car, but there is nothing like a nice 4th gen. I am not sure what you are looking to spend, but you can pick up late 4th gens 98-02 pretty reasonably and you get an LS1 Even early 4th gens have a good ol' LT1. Just my two cents. It is tough to find a nice clean third gen these days. Most people who have them do not want to let them go and I don't blame them.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:01 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

As you've learned, everybody has an opinion on what is best. Ultimately, it boils down to what you like best. All thirdgens have the same inherent weaknesses, and all of them make good modification platforms if you address those weaknesses. There's nothing you can't change on one of these cars, so if you intend to modify, what you start with is less critical. Year to year and option to option variations will result in minor benefits/drawbacks based on your specific modification plans, but none of them are show stoppers as long as you're aware of what you've got.

If you intend to leave it as-is, then spend more time finding what you want. Decide what you want more... a 5 speed or a 350. For me, I'd prefer the 5-speed, because no matter what motor it's got, a car with an automatic is bound to bore me. You may feel differently. My GTA is a 305 5 speed. The car has 150k miles on the original drivetrain and it's tired, but it's still a lot of fun to drive thanks to the 5 speed. My IROC was originally a 305 automatic, but I fixed both of those problems.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E

To me, it comes down to do you want to just have something you can drive and go, or do you want to spend time to make the car your own? If its not your daily driver and you can wrench, you don't have to be as picky; grab something with a good body and go at it. If its gotta be turn key and go, figure out exactly what you want and be prepared to spend some time and money looking.

1LE and B4C are going to be hard to come by and pretty pricey, but nothing's stopping you from taking another model and copying or improving on these versions. Leave those to the people trying to "invest" in cars
Old 08-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 4-speed automatic
Axle/Gears: 2.77

you can find 350s with a manual tranny BUT they do not come stock that way (at least I know they dont with a TPI). So you know if you find one with a manual, they had it custom put in or somehow made the motor bigger. Ive seen 2 so far that had a custom tranny and were definantly 350. Both were 1988 but that may just be a coincendence. One had a 6-speed and the other a 5-speed (I'd go with the 6 myself if I could find one again) I had a 1989 which was 305 manual TPI and loved it better than a carb. The TPIs are a little complicated and got funny issues sometimes but better for racing performance and fuel economy. Personally I like the way the plumes and air intake look more than a carb anyway. You can have them chromed which looks sweet. Like someone else mentioned already, the 1990 is the first year they put in airbags. And if I'm correct the last year of TPI and IROC (but it could be '91, my memory has slipped me lol) and there were very little in production. The B4C and 1LE are more common in that year than the years before it but i would think them to be a good race camaro. Think they come with TPI... New dashes and dash covers can be bought online to replace or cover up cracks. Interior can be cleaned and re-dyed for a hundred bucks or so. if the seats are torn, you might be able to find new covers or decent used camaro seats online but a little more pricy. Guess it all depends on your budget and how crappy this interior really is. To me, if I were racing it more than cruising it, I wouldnt use it much on the road anyway because it wouldnt be street legal when I get done with it lol. The motor is the biggest thing in that department and looks on the outside are kind of important (if you aren't dirt racing anyway). I wouldn't buy a vehicle I cruise in a lot and hope she stayed pretty, had few problems, and also be able to last a while when racing. But you may know this all if you have raced plenty cars. Well anyway, thats my . Good luck 2 ya
Old 08-28-2010, 08:23 PM

Car: 1989 Forumla 350 WS6
Engine: 5.7 TPI:Bosch III's 22#'s
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt Posi- 3:27

Originally Posted by stielow775
I am getting into a 3rd gen camaro which year do you recommend and why?

I have been looking at a couple 1le and b4c camaros however it seems most have tons of miles and arent that clean.

I am looking for preferably a 5 speed 4 wheel disc brakes something to cruise and race at the track on the weekends. Anyone have any suggestions of good years to get?

Matt
OK, I know this is about Camaros but I think the Firebird body is a lot more streamline in appearance and there aren't near as many. Just my
worth!
Old 08-29-2010, 12:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1990 IROC-Z 1LE
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23

1990 1LE IROC Bad (Bleep) to the bone!

What is right for me may not be right for you. Some out there love their Iron Duke cars. Some can't bear to part with their V6 cars.

Find what is right for you. Test drive a few, get a feel for what you like.

P.S. Don't prejudge a car with 100k+, some of that in actual races (how cool is that?). Mine is over the mark on the odo, but if you didn't know it you could never tell. Its been professionally maintained, and owned by people who love her.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:42 AM

Car: '88 GTA, '89, '94 Firebird, '84 T/A
Engine: 5.0L TPI (GTA); '89 -2.8; '94 -3.4
Transmission: 5 speed (for all 3),auto for T/A
Axle/Gears: 3.45 (GTA only)

I am looking for preferably a 5 speed 4 wheel disc brakes something to cruise and race at the track on the weekends.
I'm not an expert on racing, but you have selected an amost mutually exclusive combo. If I was going to the dragstrip, it would be a 350/auto combo as for torque and build platform, that gets you the best "bang for your buck". On the other hand, for the fun of driving and doin' the "twisties", I would hands-down go for the 305/5-speed.

Of course, you could also search for one of those elusive 350/6-speed
Firehawks - depending on your budget.

GTAs and IROCS/Z28 generally also gave the 4 wheel disc brakes (although there are exceptions based on availability from parts bins, etc).
Old 08-29-2010, 07:35 AM

So whats the diffrence between z28 and rs cars?

What about the 1le and b4c?

Matt
Old 08-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

So whats the diffrence between z28 and rs cars?

What about the 1le and b4c?

Matt
z28 and rs were package labels, an at least for the later years, the rs was almost exclusively v6. z28 is considered cream of the crop. If you go to the main page you can find explanations and they'll give you production numbers. There were a few years where they didn't produce the z28 as well.

Mathius
Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1990 IROC-Z 1LE
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23

The RS will have the body, but not the muscle.
The 1LE is made for racing. The B4C was made for pursuit. Many B4C had the 1Le option as well. My buddy has a 1992 1LE B4C complete with light bar and a wig-wag switch.

It also has a rear locking cover for the hatch-back area. I wish my car had that option.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:51 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Buy the one with the absolute cleanest body and color you like.Body work cost way more in time and money than mechanical work.

Absolutely nothing on these cars mechanically is worth keeping anyhow, from air cleaner to center caps it's all crap so get the absolute cleanest best body you can find.

For 'racing', I'd be looking at a formula. Lightweight, has the bigger sway bars, will be set up for disc brakes. Re-gear it, race trans, race engine, new exhaust.

-- Joe
Old 08-29-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by anesthes
Buy the one with the absolute cleanest body and color you like.Body work cost way more in time and money than mechanical work.

Absolutely nothing on these cars mechanically is worth keeping anyhow, from air cleaner to center caps it's all crap so get the absolute cleanest best body you can find.

For 'racing', I'd be looking at a formula. Lightweight, has the bigger sway bars, will be set up for disc brakes. Re-gear it, race trans, race engine, new exhaust.

-- Joe
I'm running mine stock (well mostly!) and it's a blast to drive! Not all crap, almost 22 years old and still great to drive.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:09 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by texascat2
I'm running mine stock (well mostly!) and it's a blast to drive! Not all crap, almost 22 years old and still great to drive.
Right. Well for a daily driver or whatever it's cool and I understand that.

I'm more performance driven. I build muscle cars. When you consider most V6 cars today have more power then the fastest v8 thirdgen, it's not much to speak of.

But everyones objectives are different. He said he wants to race it.

-- Joe
Old 08-29-2010, 11:35 PM

Right. Well for a daily driver or whatever it's cool and I understand that.

I'm more performance driven. I build muscle cars. When you consider most V6 cars today have more power then the fastest v8 thirdgen, it's not much to speak of.

But everyones objectives are different. He said he wants to race it.

-- Joe
I didn't realise how important EGO was until I saw your reply. How long have you been building muscle cars? No sarcasm intended.

Last edited by texascat2; 08-29-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:27 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 IROC Z, 92 RS
Engine: 305 4bbl, 305 TBI

Yes there are 6's out there that have more hp, but I love the rumble of a v8. I would sacrifice power for the sound.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:34 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by texascat2
I didn't realise how important EGO was until I saw your reply. How long have you been building muscle cars? No sarcasm intended.
Has nothing to do with EGO. He said he wanted to race. I build race cars, I gave my opinion. If he wanted a daily driver I'd tell him not to touch the thing. If he wanted a show car I'd tell him to call chip Foose.

Originally Posted by Stevolwevol
Yes there are 6's out there that have more hp, but I love the rumble of a v8. I would sacrifice power for the sound.
Right, my point was if he wanted to race the car, he should ditch the stock power/drivetrain. While rumble is cool I guess, so is winning racing. Having a car with a rumble and getting spanked by a new v6 mustang is not cool.

Again. He said race..

- Joe
Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 AM

Car: 92 firebird gta
Engine: L98 with minor mods.
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

If you are looking to go around a mid 14 then a semi stock 5.7 auto would be a good. If you want to go faster it doesn't realy matter because you will be changing the motor/trans for a new one anyway.So in short look around find one you like, and make it your own.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:02 AM

Has nothing to do with EGO. He said he wanted to race. I build race cars, I gave my opinion. If he wanted a daily driver I'd tell him not to touch the thing. If he wanted a show car I'd tell him to call chip Foose.

Right, my point was if he wanted to race the car, he should ditch the stock power/drivetrain. While rumble is cool I guess, so is winning racing. Having a car with a rumble and getting spanked by a new v6 mustang is not cool.

Again. He said race..

- Joe
I believe he said cruise and to the race track.
Call Chip Foose, that's funny.