Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Hot pink thirdgen, For the girls!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 2.8L, hopefully upgrading..
Transmission: BorgWarner T5, Made here in Muncie
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Hot pink thirdgen, For the girls!

I love seeing "kids" my age working on older vehicles, especially 3rd gen F-Bodies. A lot of girls admire our cars, but I've yet to meet one my age that would be willing to put forth the effort and attention that you have given your car. I think it's simply awesome. I can't even think of many guys my age around here that would do half of what you've done in bodywork to you car. Again, its just awesome lol.

Oh and a thought, the rims you showed do look nice. I was thinking either those rims, or any other rims of your choosing, but maybe have the colors be a black wheel with a pink lip? I think that might add a little flare to it and balance out nicely and flow well with the color scheme. Just a thought
Old 08-14-2010, 04:53 PM

Car: 1990 rs/1986 iroc-z
Engine: Lho 3.1 v6/Lb9 5.0 v8
Transmission: 700r4

any new pics?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:49 PM

Car: 1992 RS 25th Anniversary Edition
Engine: 192

Originally Posted by Bull
Ok, give me the secret. What can I do so that my daughter is into old cars and working on them when she's a teenager?
Haha, ummmmmm.... I dont really know the secret haha. I would say the same thing that KimberlyTN says down there! Start her off young! LOL

Originally Posted by firebird904
I'm on the southside of town. Like right off of beach blvd.
Sweet! Thats not too far from me, im in oceanway and dunn ave. Northside girl :P

Originally Posted by Awesome-X
Well this should certainly be interesting. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Is that you in the pics? lol
Its gonna be a very interesting car! LOL and yes thats me!

Originally Posted by KNBlazer
wow .... will you marry me????? ... ... Wait!!! In a year of course.. j/k...

good to see women taking pride in these beautiful third gens...
Hahaha :P Thanks!

Originally Posted by joepackersrock
Maybe my mom and little sis will believe me when I say that cars arent only a "guy thing"...more power to the pink camaro!!!
OMGOSH! Cars are NOT only a guy thing! Thats crazy talk! But thank you! I hope i can help them change their minds!

Originally Posted by dynodanmanda79
Looking good so far! Good looking young lady too
Thanks!

Originally Posted by KimberlyTN
Awesome !!!!!!!!! You are a special young lady...You obviously have a GREAT Dad!!!

Dads -If you want your girls to be "into" it.... #1 - Start them young -keep them into it....Car Shows are a great place to start....#2 Don't be a wimp...MAKE them....put up with the pouty faces till their 18 if you have to...they may never love it like you do, but it's not something that they will (always) hate you for, either. Once they discover cars=boys, they will usually be more willing..lol... Spending time with your daughter is the best thing you can do for them! (NOT throwing money at them to go shopping!!!!)

Our daughter is 13 and loves the car shows ALMOST as much as we do!!!
YES, i do have an amazing dad! I dont know anyone elses dad who would let them do all the stuff that im doing to my car! Haha my mom is even nagging about how loud the music goes and how dark my tint is :P I definitely agree with starting them out young! Thats awesome your daughter loves to go to car shows! I remember being young and going to car shows too. I always thought they were fun, nice people and even nicer cars

Originally Posted by Zepher
Looking good. Can't wait to see the end product.
Thanks!
Old 08-15-2010, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by MikeSmith0890
I love seeing "kids" my age working on older vehicles, especially 3rd gen F-Bodies. A lot of girls admire our cars, but I've yet to meet one my age that would be willing to put forth the effort and attention that you have given your car. I think it's simply awesome. I can't even think of many guys my age around here that would do half of what you've done in bodywork to you car. Again, its just awesome lol.

Oh and a thought, the rims you showed do look nice. I was thinking either those rims, or any other rims of your choosing, but maybe have the colors be a black wheel with a pink lip? I think that might add a little flare to it and balance out nicely and flow well with the color scheme. Just a thought
Yeaaah, i invited my friend over one night and i told her before she came over "now im gonna be working on my car, do you care?" and she says "ILL HELP! ILL HELP!" so she comes over and when my dad hands her a scuff pad and told her to help me scuff the door jams, she gets weirded out by the texture of the scuff pad, so he gives her a pad of 320 and she only ends up sanding like an inch of the jam before going inside to "wash her face" ahahahha. She didnt end up coming back out hahaha. And we ended up staying up till 3 or 4 and she passed out at 12. It just goes to show that not many girls have the drive to actually put work and time into a car. Ofcourse she got her saturn ion handed to her. But me, i couldnt ever drive a saturn. It just depends on how much drive you have, and how dedicated you are. Shes happy with her saturn, and im gonna 10000x more happy when i have a hot pink camaro with the works, and even better, ITS PAID OFF! Work hard, play harder! Thats the way i see it!

As for the rims, i LOVE that idea and was thinking of that too. But i just dont know what those kind of rims would be called, or the brand. I think that would look awesome because it would really balance the pink and black out. I definitely am not trying to go overboard with the pink. Great feedback! I really appreciate it Thanks!

Originally Posted by avilla20
any new pics?
No not yet, I tinted my windows, and just picked up my car yesterday after the alarm and such were installed. Tomorrow me and my dad are gonna shave the doorhandles. Weld 'em up, so i will have pics of that up probably tomorrow night. And once thats done, i have to shoot some primer on the gfx and front/back bumper (They are already sanded) and the car is ready for paint!
Old 08-15-2010, 12:31 AM

Car: 1986 camaro
Engine: carbed 350

i wish i knew a girl our age that was willing to do any kind of work to a car. let alone the things you have done lol great job. so far i think yours is looks nice than mine haha. looking foward to see the finished product.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 AM

Car: 84 SC Camaro (92 Tribute)
Engine: V6
Transmission: M5

This thread hits close to home as my daughter is 14 and wants a camaro when she can drive. Actually, she's trying to steal my '91Z from me as hers. She wants hers pink too, so I'm very interested to see how your's turns out. I do agree with a couple of the other replies that your gonna want some sort of "pinstripe" to soften the transition between the pink and black so it's not so harsh. Silver would be a good choice. Good luck with your project and I look foreward to your updated pics.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdub197
As for the rims, i LOVE that idea and was thinking of that too. But i just dont know what those kind of rims would be called, or the brand. I think that would look awesome because it would really balance the pink and black out. I definitely am not trying to go overboard with the pink. Great feedback! I really appreciate it Thanks!
You would have to either buy black rims and scuff and paint the lip of the rim like you did your car, or you'd have to paint the whole rim black and do the same. I don't think you're going to find anyone mfr a rim of that design, it's going to be totally custom. You could of course pay to have them powdercoated in a two tone, but I'm not sure how well they would blend at the seam. Depends a lot on you rim design. I missed the pics of the rim you wanted.

If you want to meet another chick in the industry, you should join Protouring.com and try to talk to MilesSpeed. She also has a web page, http://www.milesspeed.com.

I know there are many women in the industry, you see car mag's doing articles on them all the time, but liz miles started out much like you with at 15, but with a '68 Camaro:

She's not got a lot of things going for her, such as autocross racing, a fab shop, a photographer, and she's also a freelance writer. She was a technical editor with a staff regular for Popular HotRodding Magazine, but she had to leave her staff position when she moved. She now writes for about 3 different magazines and was once even hired at Boyd Coddington. She managed to take something she loved to do for a hobby and make a career out of it.

She could probably tell you a lot about women in the industry.

Keep posting pics of the car. Good Luck.

Mathius
Old 08-15-2010, 02:36 PM

Car: 92 RS
Engine: a slow one
Transmission: a crunchy one
Axle/Gears: a whiny one

NICE, my wife would love you for this. She has been trying to talk me into the same paint scheme with a purple on the bottom half for 5 years. It'll never happen, I love my Forest Green & Black Motif that I have going on.

I come from a family of female Camaro enthusiasts. My mother bought me my car as an impulse buy for my birthday one year because SHE loved Camaros, LOL. It had bad endlinks in it when I got it. As I was beating a troublesome one straight, my girlfriend at the time comes out of her dads garage with an angle grinder and an extension cord and starts cutting away at the bent one...

I married that woman.

Almost ten years later, we now have a boy and a girl, 7 and 8. The girl loves cars too, ESPECIALLY Camaros. She changed the oil (mostly) by herself the other day for the first time... Smiled for an hour afterwards, and told everyone for 3 days so far how "she fixed the car so it will last long enough for her to drive one day".

You just have to start them young, and have a real passion for it. It will impart upon the children if enough time is spent with them.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 rs, 86 Trans Am
Engine: RS-V6... Trans Am-LG4
Transmission: RS-T5... Trans Am 700r4

looks like a great restoration thread. can't wait to see more pics
Old 08-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

LOL (about post that was about mine, looks like it's gone now)

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 08-17-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6

As for the engine, im not really thinking that far ahead just yet, i just want to get the car painted and drive it and get used to it because its definitely no honda!

Thank you! Im flattered! As for now i am completely happy with my v6 That may sound wimpy but i think for right now its enough power for me! Im only 17 so i think ive got plenty of time! And honestly, id rather look hot driving slow and crusing, than drive fast and wreck all my work! LOL I told my dad i wanted a twin turbo supra and he about flipped! In a few years when i have more driving experience i know he would be down for whatever engine i want tho! I guess i should start planning ahead tho! Theres so much i can do! Lol
Start with the suspension then. I only have a V6 as well but this car takes turns faster and harder than most anything on the road.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

good plan on the engine... don't let anybody tell you that you HAVE to have a V6

here's a thread I started about dressing up a V6, you might be interested in it
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/5...ppearance.html

Name:  DSCN1292-1.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  117.6 KB
Old 08-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: th350

Cant wait to see the finished product. Not a fan of big wheels, but its ur car so do what you like.

I hope my daughter is into cars when she is ur age. Only 2 now so i got some time lol.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7 LSX
Transmission: Performabuilt 4L60E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt 3.73

I think your project is awesome! Thats so cool that a girl is into 3rd gens and is actually fixing it up herself! And the paint scheme you want is perfect for you and what you're going for. I can't wait to see it finished. Keep us posted!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro "SS"/ 1991 305/T5
Engine: 383 LT1 in progress/LT1TBI 355 soon
Transmission: Probuilt 700R4 3600 stall/ T5
Axle/Gears: Moser axles, 3.42 Eaton Posi

It's awesome to see a young girl in on this, I can't wait until my girls are old enough so I can do this with them. Keep it up girl.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:47 AM

Car: 1988 IROC Z
Engine: 350 5.7L Carb'd
Axle/Gears: Disc 2.77

there is a hot pink rs that i see riding around here every couple of weeks, and it does looks sweet, so a thirdgen does wear the color very well, next time i see it, ill see if i can snap a picture of it
Old 08-16-2010, 02:57 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Coolest pink I've ever sprayed. House of Kolor, Hot Pink Pearl (PBC 39). It's a pearl base coat and isn't a candy, so multiple layers aren't needed to build up your color, and it's easy to match in case something gets scratched. Kudos on the hard work kiddo.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/HOKpaint/It...o=HOK+PBC39-4Z
Old 08-16-2010, 04:39 PM

Car: 91' Firebird
Engine: 3.1 LH0 V6
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip

Can't wait to see it painted!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:25 PM

Car: 92 rs
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: 700 r4

i wish the girls from my school were into cars i like the idea of black on pink i bet it will look sexy
Old 08-16-2010, 06:04 PM

Car: 92 Camaro
Engine: 404 SBC
Transmission: The strongest stock T5 ever made
Axle/Gears: 3.73 w/Detriot Tru Trac Locker

just waiting to see the paint. Looks great so far
Old 08-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 305 Carb
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.27

i see the car is rollin on cragers, when ur 2 toning the car, paint the center of the rims black, trust me. i did mine and they look amazing on my camaro. i have a candy apple red convertable 1991 rs now.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:15 PM

Car: 1990 rs/1986 iroc-z
Engine: Lho 3.1 v6/Lb9 5.0 v8

i photoshoped this one for you, this iroc is a camaro preformers magazine cover car that is actually two tone, black on top and murcielago orange on the bottom....enjoy
Name:  2162984_9_full.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  20.4 KB
Old 08-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

BTW, that's the second time that car has been posted in this thread... if ya'll are fans of that car, it belongs to TGO member Jekyll & Hyde, and he's also a big wig in NTTGA.net, our local camaro club

not a bad photoshop job!... did you mean to make the fog lamps pink too? kind looks cool that way!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 PM

Heres an update!

So the autostart and the alarm are all hooked up and work better than i thought they would! If you even touch the car the alarm goes off. That shall keep people off my paint LOL But last night me and my dad shaved the doorhandles, took quite a few hours. But im happy with the end result.

Im thinking i have a future at tulsa welding school? ;P

Also after we had taken off the door moldings we did end up finding a few door dings, but fixed those pretty easily.

I also took out my center caps on my wheels and i think it looks alot better.

Before:

And after:

I wont be riding on these wheels for longer than a couple months, so its not really a big deal but i thought i would go for the racecar look.

So now i need to finish priming the gfx and bumpers, were probably just gonna end up repriming the whole car. So im excited and planning to paint this weeeekend! ))
Old 08-17-2010, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chucklez
i wish i knew a girl our age that was willing to do any kind of work to a car. let alone the things you have done lol great job. so far i think yours is looks nice than mine haha. looking foward to see the finished product.
Well thank you Alot of my friend that are girls dont believe in putting money into a car, they think its a "waste" LOL I think its the best investment haha. I had to choose, new school clothes this year OR finish my car? I chose the car without a doubt! haha i think i can pull off wearing a cardboard box in this car :P

Originally Posted by Coolwheels84
This thread hits close to home as my daughter is 14 and wants a camaro when she can drive. Actually, she's trying to steal my '91Z from me as hers. She wants hers pink too, so I'm very interested to see how your's turns out. I do agree with a couple of the other replies that your gonna want some sort of "pinstripe" to soften the transition between the pink and black so it's not so harsh. Silver would be a good choice. Good luck with your project and I look foreward to your updated pics.
Awe thats great! Shes so young and already on the right path! Better start letting her start waxing it now if she wants it when shes 16 haha. And yes i do see what you guys mean.. But i just love the idea of a two color scheme. Black and Pink. If the line does come out harsh, then a silver stripe will definitely be put on, but my dads pretty good at what he does so i think we can make it look really clean and seamless. Thanks for the feedback tho!

Originally Posted by Mathius
You would have to either buy black rims and scuff and paint the lip of the rim like you did your car, or you'd have to paint the whole rim black and do the same. I don't think you're going to find anyone mfr a rim of that design, it's going to be totally custom. You could of course pay to have them powdercoated in a two tone, but I'm not sure how well they would blend at the seam. Depends a lot on you rim design. I missed the pics of the rim you wanted.

If you want to meet another chick in the industry, you should join Protouring.com and try to talk to MilesSpeed. She also has a web page, http://www.milesspeed.com.

I know there are many women in the industry, you see car mag's doing articles on them all the time, but liz miles started out much like you with at 15, but with a '68 Camaro:

She's not got a lot of things going for her, such as autocross racing, a fab shop, a photographer, and she's also a freelance writer. She was a technical editor with a staff regular for Popular HotRodding Magazine, but she had to leave her staff position when she moved. She now writes for about 3 different magazines and was once even hired at Boyd Coddington. She managed to take something she loved to do for a hobby and make a career out of it.

She could probably tell you a lot about women in the industry.

Keep posting pics of the car. Good Luck.

Mathius
Yes, they will definitely have to be coustom. Im sure i will find something that will work for me. Theres just so many different kinds of rims to choose from, its insane! haha
And thanks, i will check her out! Its pretty inspiring to see a female whos big in the business

Originally Posted by Dizturbed One
NICE, my wife would love you for this. She has been trying to talk me into the same paint scheme with a purple on the bottom half for 5 years. It'll never happen, I love my Forest Green & Black Motif that I have going on.

I come from a family of female Camaro enthusiasts. My mother bought me my car as an impulse buy for my birthday one year because SHE loved Camaros, LOL. It had bad endlinks in it when I got it. As I was beating a troublesome one straight, my girlfriend at the time comes out of her dads garage with an angle grinder and an extension cord and starts cutting away at the bent one...

I married that woman.

Almost ten years later, we now have a boy and a girl, 7 and 8. The girl loves cars too, ESPECIALLY Camaros. She changed the oil (mostly) by herself the other day for the first time... Smiled for an hour afterwards, and told everyone for 3 days so far how "she fixed the car so it will last long enough for her to drive one day".

You just have to start them young, and have a real passion for it. It will impart upon the children if enough time is spent with them.
Hahaha loved you story! Your daughter sounds like shes gonna be a heartbreaker, she loves camaros and shes only 7! Im very impressed!

Originally Posted by 58mark
looks like a great restoration thread. can't wait to see more pics
Thanks!

Originally Posted by CharcoalBird
Start with the suspension then. I only have a V6 as well but this car takes turns faster and harder than most anything on the road.
Yeah thats what i was planning on doing. Im not lettin anyone hate on my v6, with new suspension the car will ride pretty nicely i think. That will be my next project. Thanks!

good plan on the engine... don't let anybody tell you that you HAVE to have a V6

Thanks, I will look into it. I would definitely love to clean up my engine and make the whole engine bay color coordinate with the car!

Originally Posted by 1320_Guy
Cant wait to see the finished product. Not a fan of big wheels, but its ur car so do what you like.

I hope my daughter is into cars when she is ur age. Only 2 now so i got some time lol.
Haha most people arent a fan of big wheels on old school camaros, but idk i think on my car they will look pretty clean. Haha start showing her cars NOW! LOL

Originally Posted by 85projectZ28
I think your project is awesome! Thats so cool that a girl is into 3rd gens and is actually fixing it up herself! And the paint scheme you want is perfect for you and what you're going for. I can't wait to see it finished. Keep us posted!
Thank you! I cant wait to see it finished either!

Originally Posted by robertfrank
It's awesome to see a young girl in on this, I can't wait until my girls are old enough so I can do this with them. Keep it up girl.
They will love you and appreciate you for it, i promise that. Thanks.

Originally Posted by wwwyzzerdd
there is a hot pink rs that i see riding around here every couple of weeks, and it does looks sweet, so a thirdgen does wear the color very well, next time i see it, ill see if i can snap a picture of it
Yes, definitely snap a pic if you can, i would like to see the color pink they chose! Thanks!

Originally Posted by haps
Coolest pink I've ever sprayed. House of Kolor, Hot Pink Pearl (PBC 39). It's a pearl base coat and isn't a candy, so multiple layers aren't needed to build up your color, and it's easy to match in case something gets scratched. Kudos on the hard work kiddo.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/HOKpaint/It...o=HOK+PBC39-4Z
Haha the funny thing is that was the ORIGINAL color i chose. But when i got my HOK paint book, i thought the color was too purple for what i was looking for. Its definitely pink but i wanted a HOT pink. That color is beautiful and alot easier to spray, but im so picky about my pink its sad! :P But Thanks!

Originally Posted by K-slice
Can't wait to see it painted!
MEE TOOOO

Originally Posted by barrow92rs
i wish the girls from my school were into cars i like the idea of black on pink i bet it will look sexy
I think so tooo! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Guitarpik14
just waiting to see the paint. Looks great so far
Its coming sooner than you think! I have such a short time frame to get it painted!

Originally Posted by masonmills
i see the car is rollin on cragers, when ur 2 toning the car, paint the center of the rims black, trust me. i did mine and they look amazing on my camaro. i have a candy apple red convertable 1991 rs now.
Do you mean paint all the silver black? Pics? I would like to see this! Thanks!

Originally Posted by avilla20
i photoshoped this one for you, this iroc is a camaro preformers magazine cover car that is actually two tone, black on top and murcielago orange on the bottom....enjoy

OMGOSH I LOVE YOUU FOR THIS! My dad was like "woooooooooowwwwwwww" <- exactly like that haha. that looks so badass! Your awesome! Thanks

BTW, that's the second time that car has been posted in this thread... if ya'll are fans of that car, it belongs to TGO member Jekyll & Hyde, and he's also a big wig in NTTGA.net, our local camaro club

not a bad photoshop job!... did you mean to make the fog lamps pink too? kind looks cool that way!
Yes, i love his car! Once i saw the orange and the black THATS when i made up my mind for the pink and black! Its absoloutly gorgeous! You can tell him he inspired my cars paint scheme for sure!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91Z28
Engine: 5.7 ls1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.42

It's coming out great and you are doing all the work yourself too that's just unique you rarely see a girl doing all of this, and get ready for all he guys at school wanting a ride.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 AM

Car: 1990 Z28 Camaro

I love you idea that sounds like it will be nice I really wanna see it finished. Pink is a badass color if done right and I like your idea. My cousin has a black truck with pink flames and I got one thats gonna be pink with black flames Pink and Black go together like no other. I hope you have lots of memories and fun with you 3rd gen I bought mine when I was 14 and want to paint it purple and I did think pink but I am a guy and dident really want a pink camaro but I can do a pink truck. But atleast you learned alot and had fun dong it.and its good to see a 17 year old women getting there hands dirty with a 3rd gen i am a 16 year old guy and Ive never met a teenage girl who was into stuff like that.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI (L98)
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.45

OH! i see that you have yours maui blue. I actually considered that color, its so beautiful!

and yes i definitely had a hard time deciding whether to go two-toned or solid, but i feel like two toned will make the car look a little more.. subtle? i dont know if thats the right word seeing as a hot pink car will never be subtle. haha I think the black will balance the pink and make it not so loud, if that makes sense? heres my inspiration;

if you can just imagine the orange hot pink!

Well thank you! I was worried about posting about my pink camaro but im glad you guys like the idea! i definitely will have pics up of the finished car within the next 2 weeks!
If you choose something with deep color and Ferrari black (the blackest and deepest of the blacks), it will come out better than you can imagine it. You will need to also choose a color separation line to ease the change in colors. I have a radar blue pinstripe as my separator, but you basically need a bright transition break.

Search for two tones and two tone color break here and on images.google.com for ideas.

Oh and keep us up to date.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 AM

Car: 1986 Trans AM
Engine: 305 TPI

Wow, she is looking good, from another female 3rd gen owner, keep up the great work!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:46 AM

I agree. A small (1/4" to 1/2") line between the two colors would make it just right. I would go silver as someone already mentioned. It would be perfect! Just my opinion tho. Either way, this project is all you and thats what matters. Keep up the good work and post TONS of pictures when its done! We all can't wait to see it!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Supreme Member

another vote for the pinstripe... I've seen Jekyll's car sitting next to a car that copied him.. except without the stripe. The difference in the transition between the colors was amazing.

Silver would be awesome
Old 08-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Why are we arguing about pinstripe or no pinstripe? Personally, I think that if it were done right, a fade between the black and pink would look WAY better than just black...Boom, pink... And also, if you can find a set, a set of wheels similar to mine, (which American Racing has just released an update) would look nice, with the outer ring chrome or silver, the outer spokes black or pink and the inner spokes the opposite of the black or pink. I'd post up a pic of my rims, but since there is another pic on here of the one, the system will block it. I'll see if I can find a pic...

And, yes, around here, girls who are into cars are WAY uncommon. I've seen a couple driving Thirdgens, but none actually working on them. I bought mine the day before I turned 18, and it's been an uphill battle since, 7 years ago. Even though I went to school for it, I'm still learning as I go.

I'll tell you what, since you did the welding on your door panel there, we could trade you welding my quarter panel and body patches in for my work on your engine and drivetrain (I have a V6 as well). Should be easy enough, it's all holes (spot welds). Your work is pretty good for someone learning as she goes. I hope mine turns out halfway decent, but yours ought to be amazing when done, however you decide to do it.

I have family down in Tallahassee. Not near you, but same state, at least.

Oh, and if the engine or anything related to it gives you fits, hop on over to the V6 section and say hi... There's a bunch of us over there giving our little V6 engines a major kick in the butt (I'm actually trying to do about 5 things at once with mine).
Old 08-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
Why are we arguing about pinstripe or no pinstripe? Personally, I think that if it were done right, a fade between the black and pink would look WAY better than just black...Boom, pink..
Any fade with two colors that opposite of saturation (black and pink) from each other will not look right. It would look more like over spray than a fade unless you made it 7"-10" wide of a fade... and that's just a little too big for any time period after the early 90s.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM

Car: 88 Iroc Z, 00 SS
Engine: 5.7 HSR, 5.7 LS1
Transmission: 700r4, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23, 3.42

welding without welders gloves and in flip flops, haha somebody was too eager to be workin on their car, at least you threw on a welders mask
Old 08-17-2010, 02:44 PM

Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4

Originally Posted by 88 5.7 Iroc-Z
welding without welders gloves and in flip flops, haha somebody was too eager to be workin on their car, at least you threw on a welders mask
This. Having molten steel fall on your toes is something you want to avoid (ask me how I know).

Need to work on your welding stance too
Old 08-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic

Exactly, when you can ... sit down
Stabilize the gun with your other hand, no need to have 2 hands on the handle. I like to for a sort of tripod with my fingers and use it to stabilize the gun and aim it carefully.

Flip flops and all are bad, but flammable clothes...a big no
Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 355
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Australian 9 bolt 3.27 posi

tdub197, wow you are seriously inspiring!!!!! Great job so far and I can't wait to see the final product....going to be amazing (: Watching for pictures (:
Old 08-17-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 red Z/28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5 swap

tdub197, I am really excited for you. That photoshop that avilla did for you is perfect for your car. Your car is going to be killer awesome when finished. I hope I can get my 2 boys into Camaros when they are old enough (they are 23 months now).
Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by JR350tpi
It's coming out great and you are doing all the work yourself too that's just unique you rarely see a girl doing all of this, and get ready for all he guys at school wanting a ride.
Haha, thanks! Aaaand i yes, im already anticipating friends i didnt even know i had wanting rides, it will be 10$ a ride

Originally Posted by 1990z28
I love you idea that sounds like it will be nice I really wanna see it finished. Pink is a badass color if done right and I like your idea. My cousin has a black truck with pink flames and I got one thats gonna be pink with black flames Pink and Black go together like no other. I hope you have lots of memories and fun with you 3rd gen I bought mine when I was 14 and want to paint it purple and I did think pink but I am a guy and dident really want a pink camaro but I can do a pink truck. But atleast you learned alot and had fun dong it.and its good to see a 17 year old women getting there hands dirty with a 3rd gen i am a 16 year old guy and Ive never met a teenage girl who was into stuff like that.
Loove black with pink flames. And i woulda done something like that or maybe pink stripes, but i didnt really want my whole car to be black! Lol I love purple thirdgens tho! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Jekyll & Hyde
If you choose something with deep color and Ferrari black (the blackest and deepest of the blacks), it will come out better than you can imagine it. You will need to also choose a color separation line to ease the change in colors. I have a radar blue pinstripe as my separator, but you basically need a bright transition break.

Search for two tones and two tone color break here and on images.google.com for ideas.

Oh and keep us up to date.
Okay i just wanna start by saying that i LOVE your car. When i was deciding to do a two tone, i googled two toned camaros, and when yours popped up i was like WOOOOW, yes im doing mine two toned. I loove how your tint is like BLACK so when you look at the car the whole top half is just blacked out, ofcourse i didnt go that dark on my tint but i think mine will look pretty good also. I definitely want a very dark and shiny black for the top. As for a seperator, when im done painting the car im going to put a silver one on and see how i like it, I understand now that a few people have explained it. I didnt even notice your pinstripe so thats awesome! I just dont like the idea of a third color on my car. But i see what you are saying! Thanks so much

Originally Posted by '85_Tribute
Wow, she is looking good, from another female 3rd gen owner, keep up the great work!
Awesome! Thanks!

I agree. A small (1/4" to 1/2") line between the two colors would make it just right. I would go silver as someone already mentioned. It would be perfect! Just my opinion tho. Either way, this project is all you and thats what matters. Keep up the good work and post TONS of pictures when its done! We all can't wait to see it!
Yes, i shall do one then, just a really small one. haha Thanks!

another vote for the pinstripe... I've seen Jekyll's car sitting next to a car that copied him.. except without the stripe. The difference in the transition between the colors was amazing.

Silver would be awesome
Im pretty jealous you actually got to see his car! But thanks for the feedback! I shall do a silver and see how i like it!

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
Why are we arguing about pinstripe or no pinstripe? Personally, I think that if it were done right, a fade between the black and pink would look WAY better than just black...Boom, pink... And also, if you can find a set, a set of wheels similar to mine, (which American Racing has just released an update) would look nice, with the outer ring chrome or silver, the outer spokes black or pink and the inner spokes the opposite of the black or pink. I'd post up a pic of my rims, but since there is another pic on here of the one, the system will block it. I'll see if I can find a pic...

And, yes, around here, girls who are into cars are WAY uncommon. I've seen a couple driving Thirdgens, but none actually working on them. I bought mine the day before I turned 18, and it's been an uphill battle since, 7 years ago. Even though I went to school for it, I'm still learning as I go.

I'll tell you what, since you did the welding on your door panel there, we could trade you welding my quarter panel and body patches in for my work on your engine and drivetrain (I have a V6 as well). Should be easy enough, it's all holes (spot welds). Your work is pretty good for someone learning as she goes. I hope mine turns out halfway decent, but yours ought to be amazing when done, however you decide to do it.

I have family down in Tallahassee. Not near you, but same state, at least.

Oh, and if the engine or anything related to it gives you fits, hop on over to the V6 section and say hi... There's a bunch of us over there giving our little V6 engines a major kick in the butt (I'm actually trying to do about 5 things at once with mine).
Haha i wouldnt exactly know how to do a fade with two colors so different as black and pink, ya know? Im probably gonna just do a small silver pinstripe! And i do like the look of the wheels ive got, i think they are a little manly for me tho I just have a vision of my car and i wont be happy till that vision is completed! But i will look into those wheels, because the look great on camaros! And yes if you find the pic, definitely send me the link! I know mine will be a never ending battle because theres always something more you can do to a camaro to make it better! But my engine is really tight and in good shape actually, only 86000 miles! I will definitely check out the v6 section, theres still alot you can do to a v6 so nobody can hate! Haha i dont think you want me doing your welding, im a beginner for sure haha! But my dad did teach me some basics. But if you really do want some work done you can definitely come and my dad can do any work you need, or were you joking haha? But thanks!

Originally Posted by Jekyll & Hyde
Any fade with two colors that opposite of saturation (black and pink) from each other will not look right. It would look more like over spray than a fade unless you made it 7"-10" wide of a fade... and that's just a little too big for any time period after the early 90s.
LOL

Originally Posted by 88 5.7 Iroc-Z
Haha, yes i do everything in flip flops, haha. And OFCOURSE I put on a welders mask, im not an idiot. The picture was more for fun than me actually welding like a pro. I just did like a simple line! LOL My dad was just letting me experience it.

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
This. Having molten steel fall on your toes is something you want to avoid (ask me how I know).

Okay how do you know? This could be interesting. haha.
Dont worry IM NOT A TRAINED WELDER. It was all in fun and for the experience! That was my first time ever welding and i must say it was kind of scary and fun at the same time. ahaha

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
Exactly, when you can ... sit down
Stabilize the gun with your other hand, no need to have 2 hands on the handle. I like to for a sort of tripod with my fingers and use it to stabilize the gun and aim it carefully.

Flip flops and all are bad, but flammable clothes...a big no
Haha thanks for the tips, but i doubt ill be welding anything for a while, Might actually go to welding school one day, because you never know when you will need to weld something! And once again, it was just me being my usual curious self, "LEMME TRY!"

Originally Posted by onthedownlow
tdub197, wow you are seriously inspiring!!!!! Great job so far and I can't wait to see the final product....going to be amazing (: Watching for pictures (:
Awe thanks! Should be soon!

Originally Posted by mcsslover1987
tdub197, I am really excited for you. That photoshop that avilla did for you is perfect for your car. Your car is going to be killer awesome when finished. I hope I can get my 2 boys into Camaros when they are old enough (they are 23 months now).
Yes, that photoshop just made me even more excited! And awe, im sure they will! Thanks!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird & 2002 Trans Am WS.6
Engine: 305 TBI & 5.7 350 LS1
Transmission: A4 & M6

If it were me, once it was finished, I'd drop an LS1 in it. You'd be eatin Rustangs for lunch as well as about every third gen car on the street. I just know I'd be pretty T.O.ed if a pink Camaro blew my doors off...lol....Good luck with the restoration, I'll be looking forward to the finished product.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Supreme Member

Okay i just wanna start by saying that i LOVE your car. When i was deciding to do a two tone, i googled two toned camaros, and when yours popped up i was like WOOOOW, yes im doing mine two toned. I loove how your tint is like BLACK so when you look at the car the whole top half is just blacked out, ofcourse i didnt go that dark on my tint but i think mine will look pretty good also. I definitely want a very dark and shiny black for the top. As for a seperator, when im done painting the car im going to put a silver one on and see how i like it, I understand now that a few people have explained it. I didnt even notice your pinstripe so thats awesome! I just dont like the idea of a third color on my car. But i see what you are saying! Thanks so much
Thank you very much. The tint is 4% all the way around and is not legal, but I only drive the camaro to local meets and gatherings and usually with the windows down, plus it's hard to drive at night with them up, you can't see anything at all.

Silver will be a good choice. If you are able to afford it, do a very eye-catching pink to not have it look like a regular two-tone. I've seen some clones (as well as parked next to mine) and none of them really just clicked. Take this image for example, my car really looks like this in person and not just photos (actually it's more in person):

Mine has a multitude of orange colors to give it a lot more flare and more eye-catching than the other flat orange. Someone posted up the House of Kolor pink and I've seen that one in person and it rocks. It is much more expensive as I know, but you'll be surprised at how good it will come out. My orange is coming in at $144 a pint (it's a two stage) last I checked.

The next to think about is your clear coat. I went with a concept 2021 clear (which I don't think you can get anymore), but if you can find something comparable to it, the black will look so deep like you can swim in it. A friend of mine did the Ferrari black and concept 2021 and it looked like a dark black oil that you could dip your hand into it.

Keep us updated!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 AM

Car: 65 Nova Wagon
Engine: 358
Transmission: 350 turbo
Axle/Gears: 410

Cant wait to see it done...

Its awsome to see a cute girl working on a 3rd gen...
Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Still a 3rd Gen
Engine: 450HP 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 9" with 4.11's

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...DSCN1292-1.jpg
Agreed.. V6's can look pretty good with a little work..

Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Lol honestly I first thought "hot pink thirdgen" and said "oh no... " but after seeing the girls I thought "oh yeah". lol Nice work girls, looking great with those pink rides.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 AM

Car: '87 IROC Z-28
Engine: Horse **** 305 for now
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

South Jax here (Mandarin), car's looking good. Hope to see ya around sometime after mine is on the road.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:18 PM

Car: 1988 Sport coupe
Engine: 305 H.O
Axle/Gears: 2.73

So I just joined this today and when i saw hot pink thirdgen i cringed haha untill i opened and saw i'm not the only girl restoring a 3rd gen. Even though i'm not a pink kinda girl i think the two tone pink and black is a good scheme to break it up. Can't wait to see it done =)
Old 08-22-2010, 12:42 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI L03
Transmission: TH700R4 Corvette servo
Axle/Gears: 10Bolt 2.73

nifty =)
Old 08-23-2010, 02:02 PM

still no pics yet? i thought it was going to be done this weekend? i was looking forward to seeing the finished result.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 GTA, 73 Z28
Engine: 355, 6.0L
Transmission: TH350, 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.73

still no pics yet? i thought it was going to be done this weekend? i was looking forward to seeing the finished result.
not to be pushy, but i agree with what he said
Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Car: 1988 camaro
Engine: cammed 3.1
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42

It's been a bit rainy the past few day's around here, maybe she wasn't able to get it painted yet due to the weather.

Quick Reply: Hot pink thirdgen, For the girls!