Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Firebird headlight swaps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73's with drums
Firebird headlight swaps?

There's a lot of lighting modifications available for a vast array of cars out there today, including solid red (and other) tails for a Camaro from Kleerz. The Third Gen Firebird has some muscular body lines, and the General agrees by giving it retractable headlights. That's fine and dandy in the daylight, but parking lots are lit and you and everyone else will see those antiquated bug-eyed bulbs protruding from the front end. They're hideous. They're dumb big and open soooo wide. GM finally got that right in '98 when they went to the LT1-era Camaro lamps. Looked way better than the dumb one light, and opened much lower.

My question is, has anyone seen, or done-a headlight mod on a Third Gen Pontiac? I thought many times swapping to a C5 headlight because the benefits of replaceable elements leaves the availability of HID's and they still have a prismatic lens to give it the look that it could have found it's way on a Firebird in.....(1988 for me). But something else came across my mind that may make swaping easier. With obvious modifications needing to be done to the hood and headlight door, would an LS1-era Firebird headlight assembly work? I don't have too much time that lines up with the junk yards so retrieving a set is out of reach right now. So, my hope is that a fellow member can dig out a tape measure and find even more time for a reply. I don't have too much experience with 4th gens to the point where I can recollect certain systems like headlight wiring so if there's a difference in any of that, that would also be pertinent info since I plan on using the whole assembly to establish that low rise opening.

Thanks for reading, and at the least I hope this planted an idea in some people's heads and I see some modern lamps on a 'bird somewhere.

Last edited by dan_needs_a_ws6; 07-17-2010 at 04:06 AM. Reason: I ****ed up on it somewhere.