Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

General Motors and Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: ZZ4 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73
Re: General Motors and Toyota

Originally Posted by hardon85
no american car has ever had a massive recall for cars that accelerated out of control.
Quoting David Strickland (NHTSA administrator) from his Senate hearing in March, "Our investigation shows that Toyota had the same percentage of sudden-acceleration issues as all other manufacturers, they just have more cars out there." I will also point out that since 2000 Toyota has recalled 10 million cars to GM and Ford's 40 million. Ford has an ongoing problem with cars catching fire in garages, not running, no keys in the ignition, 16 million cars so far. My Camaro has had 2 recalls that I recall - one for the shitty paint/primer problem and one for the seat belt buckles. No car is perfect or perfectly safe, just keep it all in perspective.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as GM abd Toyota goes, does anybody remember the Land Cruiser froe the 70's the inline six cylinder used in them were almost identical to the Chevy 235 inline six
Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Firebird: F41, Pwr, Instr Pkg
Engine: LC1 (V6 2.8L, 200k mi)
Transmission: MD8 (700R4)
Axle/Gears: GU5 (3.23)

Originally Posted by Aldakoopa
I have noticed that the circuitry on the back of the gauge cluster is made by Denso, which makes a lot of parts for Toyota, and the Toyota Supra of the same time period of the third gen is frighteningly similar. Are these just another joint project between GM and Toyota?
No. That kind of like saying an 'American' car equipped w/ Michelin tires must be a joint project between said American maker and say Renault. Denso is a major manufacturer of automotive components - aka they are an OEM to automotive manufacturers. You will find Denso parts in all Japanese cars and some American cars etc. In this era of increased globalization you'll likely find more and more parts from various OEMs around the world regardless of what country the nameplate on the grill of the car is associated with. I believe a number of American OEMs provide components to Toyota and other manufacturers US assembly lines.

Originally Posted by 87bluebird
what cars are really american any more?
more Toyota's are built in the US than any of the big three/
Good question. My understanding is that GM makes a pretty good effort to maintain most if not all components used in the Y-Body from US sources. I wouldn't be surprised if other halo cars are similarly sourced?

Originally Posted by Dante93GTZ
Off the top of my head, I can think of......

Honda Passport / Isuzu Rodeo
Chevy S10 / Isuzu Hombre
Chevy Colorado / Isuzu I370
Ford Escape / Mazda Tribute
90's Toyota Corolla / Geo Prism
Ford Ranger / Mazda B-series truck

Happens all throughout manf's history.
Those are good examples. There's two variations here:
1) Simple re-branding: Matrix with Pontiac nameplate
2) Joint projects: Colorado/Canyon and Isuzu 370 etc...

Usually jointly developed projects are between companies with close and ongoing business ties (Chrysler/Mitsubishi) or ownership stakes (Ford/Mazda, Renault/Nissan...)

The former offers potential win-win on a shorter term basis and the later win-win potential on a longer term basis.

It's been going on since at least the early 1970s when GM needed a mini-truck and went to Isuzu to source the Luv.