Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Help guide me w/my project?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help guide me w/my project?

Hey all, not really sure if I should be posting this in the body or restoration forum section, but most of my questions I have are pertaining to body work..so yeah!

I've decided that although my Firebird is a good start for a project, it is gonna need some more work then I thought. Right now, it's running better than when I got it, but I've still got a few minor quirks to take care of on it, relating to fuel flow and the headlights.

What this thread concerns is what I call phase 2 of the project - Fixing the cosmetic woes and making the car more "solid". The body is mostly straight. There is a dent in the drivers side fender w/a small amount of surface rust. The passenger side rear quarter panel has a bondo spot that could have been done better, and I fear that it may either need metal filled in, or replacing when it comes time for paint. Other than that, the body is pretty straight and solid, with the infamous cracking 3rd gen paint. Underneath the car looked pretty solid and useable when I changed the oil.

The interior isn't it too bad of shape. It shows signs of being a nearly 20 year old car, but it is the least of my concerns with this car. The headliner, door seals, t-tops, pretty much anything seal-related, needs replacing. The metal frame that holds the hatch window also needs to be sanded, primed, and repainted.

So I've probably rambled on quite a bit, but finally, here are my key questions I have atm!

- Would it be cheaper to replace the drivers side fender and passenger side rear quarter panel, or have them repaired when paint time comes? (I'm already planning to basically resto-mod it into a Formula clone)

- Currently, it's quite the bumpy, rough, squeaky, rattly ride. Considerably worse so than other F-bodies I've been in. Can I expect a better ride with seal replacements and new shocks/struts? I'm also planning to add sub-frame connectors when I get to the mods phase of this project.

- Can that metal frame around the hatch window be removed? or am I just going to need to tape around it when I get to fixing it?

- Any other advice you'd care to offer?

Thanks for any help
Old 06-22-2010, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 5.7 IROC/95 LT1 Corvette
Engine: All 5.7's
Transmission: 700R4 (Roessler)/ZF6
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt Zexel 3.23's. CTW 17" wheel
Re: Help guide me w/my project?

Hey Bro, You will definitely see an improvement over 20+ year old struts. Check out your rubber suspension bushing while your under there. These are inexspensive to buy, but alot of work to replace.