Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

REPLACING FLOORPANS(PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro z28
Engine: 350 small block
Transmission: 350 Turbo
REPLACING FLOORPANS(PICS)

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs291....50197756570578

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...0578_553190577

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...5578_553190577

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs291....50197756620578

AS YOU CAN SEE I HAVE SOME BADDDD **** FLOOR PANS THE LAST OWNER MUST AINT KNOW WHAT THE **** HE WAS DOING I WANNA FIX THIS PROBLEM BUT DONT KNOW WHATS THE WAY TO GO DO I BUY THE METAL AND TAKE IT AND GET WELDED DO I GRIND SAND CUT AND WELD DO I JUST ORDER NEW FLOOR PANS I MEAN WHAT I NEED HELP HOPELY THESE PICS WILL HELP OUT A BIT

IF LINKS DONT WORK GO TO http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3831659/1

Last edited by jaymoung; 06-17-2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: REVISE
Old 06-17-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Camaro 'Vert
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Re: REPLACING FLOORPANS(PICS)

There are a lot of ways to go about it, and the question is how cheap vs. how professional do you want it to look?

No matter what you do, cut and grind till you see fresh metal. You'll just end up having to do it over again if you leave rust there. Now, how do you want to fill the holes?

The cheapest method would be to just patch where needed with sheetmetal. Its quick and dirty, but probably not reccomended.

The best method would be to either cut out floorpans from a donor car or to buy replacement floorpans, and simply remove the entire floorpan from your car. At that point, you'd just remove the same amount of metal from your car and have them welded in.

Floorpans are a pain in the rear, but they are also one of the most straightforward issues with the car. Cut, replace, weld.

Before you invest in that though, you need to also check and see how extensive the rust is. Has it worked its way up the firewall? Is it on the frame or through the doorsill? If you have to cut chunks off of any of those parts, you have a much, much bigger problem and either need to consider a very large scale and professional restoration job, or finding another car to build off of.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Rule #1 your car is uni body, I would not go hacking the floor pans out with out some SFC to keep its shape.

Similar boat, SFC are getting done first, mine arrive tomorrow.

Then I can breath and relax a min till I chop the floors up.
Where I will incorpate an X brace in the floor.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gumby
Rule #1 your car is uni body, I would not go hacking the floor pans out with out some SFC to keep its shape.

Similar boat, SFC are getting done first, mine arrive tomorrow.

Then I can breath and relax a min till I chop the floors up.
Where I will incorpate an X brace in the floor.

Definitely good advice. In the poster's case though, I'd not recommend putting any money in the car until he's sure how far the damage goes. I wouldn't buy SFC's for the vehicle until I knew it was in good enough shape to salvage. Too often people start investing without knowing how bad it is. I did that with my 'bird, and 3 years later I'm selling the remains at a huge loss. Sometimes these old girls just can't be saved without tons of money. And judging from the pictures, I'd be very suspicious of this one.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Originally Posted by campin1983
Definitely good advice. In the poster's case though, I'd not recommend putting any money in the car until he's sure how far the damage goes. I wouldn't buy SFC's for the vehicle until I knew it was in good enough shape to salvage. Too often people start investing without knowing how bad it is. I did that with my 'bird, and 3 years later I'm selling the remains at a huge loss. Sometimes these old girls just can't be saved without tons of money. And judging from the pictures, I'd be very suspicious of this one.
Also good advice but only if its just a car to you/him.

Mine is more then just a car and Ill rebuild n repair forever, reguardless if in the end I could of bought 30 of them in better shape.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:51 PM

Agreed Gumby. Sometimes these cars have value outside of money. I'm just trying to make sure he doesn't jump into a project over his head. Too often people spend money before really looking into what they have. I'm assuming this is a newly acquired project by his tone and pictures. But if it has emotional value or is exceptionally rare, that really is all out the window and means a lot more.

I have seen some very extensive rust repairs on this site, and it can be done and done well. In addition to SFC's, I've seen people temporarily weld supports along the door sills and things like that, so they can cut and replace without the body warping.

The biggest thing is to be absolutely sure of what needs replaced and what effort it is going to take to replace it.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:25 PM

Car: 89 formula 350 & 2001 ws6 ta
Engine: 350 tpi & ls1
Transmission: 700r4, t56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt ? & 10 bolt 3:42

Thats bad no if and's or buts
I would find a solid car and swap the good parts I hope you got that thing on the cheap side.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

wow, not much left of that one. Not sure if its worth trying to fix. Looks like the floors are totally shot. I would get under the car and see if the trans subframes and rear frames are in decent shape first, if thye are shot too, probably want to find another body.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 AM

Wow never seen a hack job that bad before... My drivers side was pretty bad but the rest of teh floor was good... Im building all the pannels myself. If you have the time and the will to sit their for hours making one little pannel then build yourself... Im building it stronger than factory using heavier guage and adding xtra bracing. Its a pain to do but when im done it will be worth it