Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Spray gun from Harbor Freight

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Z/28 Camaro
Engine: 383 baby!!!
Transmission: NWC T5
Spray gun from Harbor Freight

Ok so I was looking at spray guns at Harbor Freight and I don't know if the #93305 gun will work. Heres the link. http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-93305.html

If you guys could look at it and let me know if it'll work for primer and BC/CC paint for my maro, that'd be great. I know I will have to get different tips, but will the setup work? Thanks ya'll.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: TOO MANY
Engine: 350 TPI / 350 TBI/6.0L VORTEC
Transmission: T5/AUTO/AUTO
Re: Spray gun from Harbor Freight

just so you know couple months ago harbor freight changed their spray guns, before you could use them over and over as long as you took care of them now they're only good for 1 or two uses i suggest u get warranty for it its 5 bucks and you can change it for a new i one once it useless.... ideal tip for paint is 1.3 tip it also works fine if you reduce the primer enough, if you wanna shoot thick primer u need 1.4tip
Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 PM

Ok I'll make sure I get the warranty. It comes with a 1.4 tip. I heard 1.8 for some primers so I'm not sure. Mostly I just want to know if the type of gun will work. I've never seen any with the canister separated from the gun before so idk how well they work. Anybody used one like this? It seems like it would wear out your arm less but not sure about anything else. Anyone have more info?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1988 SC Convertible
Engine: LT-1
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi w/PBR's

I used the purple gravity fed HVLP gun from Harbor Freight. IIRC it was around $10-12. Check out the link in my sig for the results.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 PM

Yeah I looked at your thread a while back, nice work! I also like your hood, I was making the same style for my camaro, but left it as a cowl. Its all warped to hell so I may end up scrapping it. Idk yet.

My mom picked up the gun in my first post today, thats why I was asking about it...but I'm not sure how well it'll work. If anyone has a valid negative reason to not use it I can pick up a different one...but I already have this one.

I'm only 17 and this is my first paint job so I'm stuck with a LOW budget. FYRCHKN, I am probably going to need some tips...mind if I ask you some questions when it comes time to paint?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 PM

Car: '82 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 31 spline 9" with 4.56:1

Sure wouldn't be my choice for a gun, the gravity feed HVLP guns work much better. Check out a couple local body shops, doubt seriously if you will see such a gun in use for anything!!!

Anyway, a 1.3 or 1.4 tip is good for paint and clear. I use a 1.6 for primer, and a 2.3 for hi-build primers.

If you're getting a paint gun for 1 time use, Harbor Freight might be ok. They will not have the quality (atomization and spray pattern) of a higher quality gun, but they do put paint on the car. Not a put down on you, but normally the quality of prep and paint work the first time around for an individual a cheap gun is ok...but if painting cars is something you're going to pursue, I would suggest moving up the quality ladder a bit.

I've always considered tools to be an investment, not an expense! Sharpe and DeVillbiss, along with a number of other companies, have some lower priced guns with decent quality that will last a guy painting just his own stuff a long time.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 PM

Hmm ok...I'll look into the gravity feeds then. I'm probably only doing this once. If it turns out ok I may start doing other things, but I'll buy something decent when the time comes. This is just to do my car. I agree they are an investment. I haven't actually looked to see how the thing operates yet...I should probably do that lol.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

HVLP guns HF has are far better then the rep most HF stuff has.

But it will depend on you mostly how it comes out.
But the gun won't hold you back if you have done it before.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:23 PM

Yeah its the person that determines how good it comes out usually. I'm worried about the prep, since that is the main factor. I'm not sure I can get it smooth enough. Especially since I've never painted before. I have done some body work though. I don't need very much filler on this car thankfully. I just looked at the gun and it actually mixes the paint in the gun, not in the canister like I thought. So I think it should be alright, it just pressurizes the canister to force the paint to the gun. And its all adjustable for spray pattern, air, and fluid control. I think if I can set it up right it should come out alright.

Now...any tips for a newbie painter?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:22 AM

1 can rustoleum primer. One can Krylon (color of your car) thats what i use lol And to be completely honest it really doesnt look bad at all I'll post a pic tomorrow of the quarter panel im working on using straight up spray paint.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Search the internet, you can find lost of post about brush on paint jobs for cars, and it comes out very nice and easier for the novis.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:55 AM

Yeah I've seen the brush on and roll on stuff. The only problem is I plan on using something thats kinda metallic, so I don't think the flakes would lay right. Plus I want to learn how to paint sometime, so might as well do it now. I'm going to be painting a headache rack I made for my truck, so we'll see how good it sprays pretty soon. Just gotta get some solvent to clean the gun with.