Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Firebird headlight Gurus Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 15th anniversary Trans Am
Engine: 305 H.O. L69
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Firebird headlight Gurus Please Help!

Just recently I took the whole bumper and headlight assembly's off and I am having some trouble getting my headlight aligned properly. Before I start note that I did do a search but since my car has damage in that area I think my problem is a little unique. The core support has been a little cut up by the previous owner to get the headlights somewhere near where that are supposed to be so now my brand new buckets aren't fitting correctly.
Time is of the essence right now so I will let the pictures do the talking.
Name:  f7601fff7bf9.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  25.5 KB
Name:  2af208ae9b4e.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  22.4 KB
Name:  3a6512c3d2ca.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  17.9 KB
Name:  b0b04f883d8a.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  13.2 KB
Name:  d72601c67def.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  19.4 KB
I am not afraid to cut a little bit more into the support but I dont want to start doing it blindly so give me some insight please!.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Re: Firebird headlight Gurus Please Help!

Let me take a look at mine and get back to you as mine are both out for the time being. I do know there is a height adjustment, but I have to look to see how it works. Worse comes to worse, you will need to add washers under the bracket that sits on top of the cross bar there. Also, check to make sure you're sitting on the lip at the bottom of the assembly and that the screws can be put in under there. How does the other one look, or was the damage just on the driver's side?
Old 06-15-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
Let me take a look at mine and get back to you as mine are both out for the time being. I do know there is a height adjustment, but I have to look to see how it works. Worse comes to worse, you will need to add washers under the bracket that sits on top of the cross bar there. Also, check to make sure you're sitting on the lip at the bottom of the assembly and that the screws can be put in under there. How does the other one look, or was the damage just on the driver's side?
I managed to get it looking a little better but it still needs to adjust up on
one side. I cant add washers on top of the cross bar because that would bring the whole headlight assembly up and it would not be flush with the fender. I will take some pics of where I got it to sit.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Okay, I have it sitting right here. All 3 brackets, the top one on the cross bar, the side one that bolts to the front of the cross bar, and the lower bracket that bolts to the lip, are all adjustable. Remove the headlight assembly and take a look up inside with the light in the raised position. There is a down-stop that the bracket containing the actual lamp presses against when all the way down that is adjustable. You may be able to see the bolt sticking straight out of the back of the light when removed, in a square plastic "nut", about an inch from the top of the outside of the rear bracket (the big one holding everything together). You can also take the trim off and adjust the headlamp door itself by grinding out some metal on the holes that hold it to the rest of the assembly (trim removal requires a T15 torx if you didn't already know).

I don't know how far this will get you, but it may allow you to make some headway. I know I had the same problem with mine and it's a PITA to deal with. If the hood is latched in the side view pic, you'll also need to adjust the rubber bump stop by the headlight as the hood is a smidge high (should be in line with the fender from front to back when closed and yours is a bit off).

Last edited by Maverick H1L; 06-15-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
Okay, I have it sitting right here. All 3 brackets, the top one on the cross bar, the side one that bolts to the front of the cross bar, and the lower bracket that bolts to the lip, are all adjustable. Remove the headlight assembly and take a look up inside with the light in the raised position. There is a down-stop that the bracket containing the actual lamp presses against when all the way down that is adjustable. You may be able to see the bolt sticking straight out of the back of the light when removed, in a square plastic "nut", about an inch from the top of the outside of the rear bracket (the big one holding everything together). You can also take the trim off and adjust the headlamp door itself by grinding out some metal on the holes that hold it to the rest of the assembly (trim removal requires a T15 torx if you didn't already know).

I don't know how far this will get you, but it may allow you to make some headway. I know I had the same problem with mine and it's a PITA to deal with. If the hood is latched in the side view pic, you'll also need to adjust the rubber bump stop by the headlight as the hood is a smidge high (should be in line with the fender from front to back when closed and yours is a bit off).
I will take a look at my spare bucket tomorrow and take a better look at it.
Thanks for the help so far!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:49 AM

Car: 1988 GTA Black on Black Hardtop
Engine: 383 miniram/ Ebl
Transmission: 700r4/Performabuilt/3000 Stall
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt / 3.27

I can see by pic 1 that its not adjusted all the way up. There are 8 adjusting bolts you can loosen and adjust the bucket. 4 on top and 4 on the bottom. You can also shim