Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

detent pin and roller replacement, how do you pull the stud out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 84 camaro, 88 trans am, 98 camaro
Engine: Modded , stock, LSX modded
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, t-56
Axle/Gears: 327, 308, 373
detent pin and roller replacement, how do you pull the stud out?

is there a special tool? how do you pull them out? i tryed a air hammer, vise grips etc.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: detent pin and roller replacement, how do you pull the stud out?

Here's an explaination I got from Lon at Top Down Solutions - this is why I haven't done anything with mine yet...

Yes you can do it without taking the door off, but you must remove the a-pillar half of the lower hinge. First remove the door detent spring. Then you'll need to support the bottom of the door with a jack, then remove the lower door hinge pin. Then remove the kick panel inside the car to access two of the 3 bolts holding on that half of the hinge. The third hinge bolt is accessed from the open door with a wrench. Once you have the door hinge off, place it in a HUGE bench vise. Grind off the head of the pin above the detent roller. At this point remove the roller. Two methods to remove the detent pin from this point. If you have a welder, then you can make the job easier by grinding into the column that the pin is pressed into using a die grinder or dremel tool and a metal cutting fiber-reinforced metal cutting blade. Cut a groove down just to the detent pin. This relieves the pressure on the pin making it easier to remove it. Even if you can't grind the slot and weld it later, the next step is the same. Put the remains of the door detent pin in a bench vise leaving enough room to pry out the pin. You'll be prying between the shoulder of the larger column that the pin is pressed into and the bench vise. If you ground a slot you'll need to weld that slot back up at this point. Now put the roller on the column and the new pin. Make sure the roller is mounted right-side up (center sticks out of the roller). My bench vise is huge, so I can use it too press the detent roller pin into the column. Make sure you don't press it too far or the roller will be impinged. Caution, it your vise is too small you'll break it trying to use it to press in the pin. You should take it to a shop and have them press it in with a hydraulic press for a few bucks.

Lon

Top-Down Solutions
(626)369-0040

Please visit us on the web
www.Top-DownSolutions.com

Crazy huh? EVEN IF I had the right tools, I'm still not sure I'd try it
Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 84 camaro, 88 trans am, 98 camaro
Engine: Modded , stock, LSX modded
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, t-56
Axle/Gears: 327, 308, 373
Re: detent pin and roller replacement, how do you pull the stud out?

i didn't do any of the above i was in the garage trying to figure this out before i got back on here but i got both of them, i air chiseled the rollers of the pin and made a tool to pull pins out. the tool worked great. theres no way in hell to get these out other wise. sheesh!