Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Jongbloed hood sunco???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Coupe, 2004 Grand Prix
Engine: 6.0 iron block LS, series III 3.8
Transmission: T56, 4T65-E
Axle/Gears: 3.42s<--hate em...need some 4.30s
Jongbloed hood sunco???

has anyone ever had one of these, a really like fiberglass hoods but i hear that alot of them dont ever look right. heard one guy say its a nice hood but it got like a flat blubously look to it on top? any opinions guys?? i really want one last i knew there was a 3 inch and a 5 inch
Old 02-21-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 z28
Engine: 355 with hsr
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
Re: Jongbloed hood sunco???

i've seen them and like them. they meet the headlight buckets on each side so it kind of flows from the front bumper.

here's a similar one, not my car.
Attached Thumbnails Jongbloed hood sunco???-camaro-wedding1.jpg  
Old 02-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

IMHO, those are THE hoods to have. They don't create new body lines, just enhance the existing lines.

I'd have one, but they are only made for Camaros. There is SO LITTLE available for Firebirds & those would sell like crazy, according to every 'bird owner I've talked to.

And yes.....The Sunoco is same hood as the Jongbloed.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:42 PM

I bought one of Hawks Third Generation's Sunoco fiberglass hoods (supposed made in Easley, SC) from Bruce Hawkins himself. I drove my Jeep and trailer a long way to pick it up. Later, I took my 1986 Camaro and the Sunoco hood to a restoration shop in Texas for installation and paint. Well, that Sunoco hood is a piece of junk that doesn't fit worth a damn. I have pictures to prove it. The hood's dimension's were nowhere close (way too small/narrow) to those of an original GM steel hood. My car is pristine and has never had any front end damage whatsover. My original GM steel hood fit great and had very consistent, close gaps all the way around. I sent the pictures to Bruce and called him to tell him about all this. He told me to adjust my front fenders to accommodate the Sunoco hood and close up the huge gaps. That is ridiculous! My fenders are where they are supposed to be as dictated by the dimensions of the original GM steel hood. Even if there were enough fender adjustment to close the huge gaps between the Sunoco hood and the fenders, it would have deformed (squeezed/mashed in) my front facia. Simply put, an aftermarket hood should fit (or be able to be made to fit by trimming down) the car; the car shouldn’t have to be made to fit the hood. That is *** backwards. Also, when installed, the rear of the Sunoco hood would not sit down flush with the fenders. It sat up way too tall at the hinge bolting area. There is no adjustment possible anywhere in that area (either on the hood or on the hinges). In short, to make that Sunoco hood work on my (or any undamaged) car, one would have to essentially re-engineer it and spend mega hours doing fiberglass work to widen it, etc. By the time all was said and done, one would have thousands of dollars in that fiberglass hood. (It would be better to commission someone to make a hood completely from scratch—which is what I ended up doing.) After much persuading, Bruce finally told me that he would refund the cost of the hood and the cost to ship it back to him. I received a check for the hood, but never received the $109.62 shipping that he promised me. (A man that doesn’t keep his word is a cockroach.) He later sent me a picture of another Sunoco hood installed (and painted) on another car and tried to pass it off as the hood that I returned to him. No Bruce, I wasn’t born yesterday. As it stands now, I am out the cost of shipping and the cost (in labor hours) of the staff at the restoration shop trying in vain to fit that junky Sunoco hood on my car. By Bruce’s own admission (after having viewed its web site), the restoration shop that I used is one of the best in the country. You can contact Bruce Hawkins at brucehawkins@hawksthirdgenparts.com. Good luck. My advice to you is this: Don’t expect Bruce to care about customer service, part quality, or keeping his word. As for me, I plan to collect my refund in person. I will not argue back and forth regarding this matter. I said what I wanted to say.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:43 PM

X

Last edited by Snappy; 02-27-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Duplicate entry
Old 02-27-2010, 11:24 PM

Car: 91 camaro rs
Engine: tbi 305
Transmission: 5 speed

i didn't really have any fitment problems with mine. great hood for carb or tbi cars
Old 02-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Premium Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Snappy
I bought one of Hawks Third Generation's Sunoco fiberglass hoods (supposed made in Easley, SC) from Bruce Hawkins himself. I drove my Jeep and trailer a long way to pick it up. Later, I took my 1986 Camaro and the Sunoco hood to a restoration shop in Texas for installation and paint. Well, that Sunoco hood is a piece of junk that doesn't fit worth a damn. I have pictures to prove it. The hood's dimension's were nowhere close (way too small/narrow) to those of an original GM steel hood. My car is pristine and has never had any front end damage whatsover. My original GM steel hood fit great and had very consistent, close gaps all the way around. I sent the pictures to Bruce and called him to tell him about all this. He told me to adjust my front fenders to accommodate the Sunoco hood and close up the huge gaps. That is ridiculous! My fenders are where they are supposed to be as dictated by the dimensions of the original GM steel hood. Even if there were enough fender adjustment to close the huge gaps between the Sunoco hood and the fenders, it would have deformed (squeezed/mashed in) my front facia. Simply put, an aftermarket hood should fit (or be able to be made to fit by trimming down) the car; the car shouldn’t have to be made to fit the hood. That is *** backwards. Also, when installed, the rear of the Sunoco hood would not sit down flush with the fenders. It sat up way too tall at the hinge bolting area. There is no adjustment possible anywhere in that area (either on the hood or on the hinges). In short, to make that Sunoco hood work on my (or any undamaged) car, one would have to essentially re-engineer it and spend mega hours doing fiberglass work to widen it, etc. By the time all was said and done, one would have thousands of dollars in that fiberglass hood. (It would be better to commission someone to make a hood completely from scratch—which is what I ended up doing.) After much persuading, Bruce finally told me that he would refund the cost of the hood and the cost to ship it back to him. I received a check for the hood, but never received the $109.62 shipping that he promised me. (A man that doesn’t keep his word is a cockroach.) He later sent me a picture of another Sunoco hood installed (and painted) on another car and tried to pass it off as the hood that I returned to him. No Bruce, I wasn’t born yesterday. As it stands now, I am out the cost of shipping and the cost (in labor hours) of the staff at the restoration shop trying in vain to fit that junky Sunoco hood on my car. By Bruce’s own admission (after having viewed its web site), the restoration shop that I used is one of the best in the country. You can contact Bruce Hawkins at brucehawkins@hawksthirdgenparts.com. Good luck. My advice to you is this: Don’t expect Bruce to care about customer service, part quality, or keeping his word. As for me, I plan to collect my refund in person. I will not argue back and forth regarding this matter. I said what I wanted to say.
Hi Lee,
I figured I would get some TRASHING emails such as this after your last threatening emails I received. To everyone reading, all is true that Lee claims except the part where he says I said I guarenteed to refund his shipping along with the hood refund. I did explain to Lee that since we had not had any other fitment problems with these hoods that if he paid to ship it back I would have my paint shop install and paint the hood ( out of my pocket) on one of our shop cars, if we had fitment problems I would not only refund the hood cost but also the shipping. When we fitted the hood on the car and painted everything went very smoothly and had no problems which is the reason the shipping was NOT refunded as explained to Lee. After that I recieved nasty threatening emails stating I better do this and that or else, I will not be threatened into doing anything that is not right, all of my customers know I am not out to steal from anyone as if I was I would not have refunded the hood cost. Also when I would speak with the customer on the phone and explain sometimes you have to do slight adjustments to the front of a car for everything to line up perfectly he explained that he and the restoration shop had decided to use his original hood and change to a different style scoop in which I was still willing to get the hood back and check it on one of our cars. So I say all that to say this to Lee please be careful of the threats you make, we make a very good product in which I stand behind 100% and if you like anyone on this board can see the hood Lee received nicely fitted and painted on a car here at the shop so feel free to stop by anytime .
Thanks,Bruce
www.hawksthirdgenparts.com
864-855-2694
Old 02-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1983 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28
Engine: Forged 355 with a GT45 turbo
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: built 4th gen rear with 3.27s

i have the 3 inch on myself...........works well and the best hood for a 3rd gen camaro in my opinion
Old 03-02-2010, 05:27 PM

Car: 1982 Camaro Coupe, 2004 Grand Prix
Engine: 6.0 iron block LS, series III 3.8
Transmission: T56, 4T65-E
Axle/Gears: 3.42s<--hate em...need some 4.30s

Wow looks like i pulled a bad one from the shelves lol. Is there a 5 in hood avalible?? badass i like your Z looks sharp!!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro "SS Z03"
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: '96 1LE T-56
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 9-bolt

I've had this hood for the last 5 years and I still love it when I see it. As mentioned, it really does a great job accenting the stock hoood lines and looks like a hi-po factory option. I'd like to see what a 5" one looks like, as the 3" seems ideal IMO.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:12 AM

is that the factory heritage stripe kit, if so i was wandering how it would fit on these hoods
Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 AM

Yea it is, the stripes fit on like on the regular hood (I had the same kit on my old hood). I don't believe it would be possible to put the kit on a more conventional cowl. It's nice because the raise in the cowl allows plenty of room between the hood and the stripe to attach engine displacement numbers.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by matthufham
i've seen them and like them. they meet the headlight buckets on each side so it kind of flows from the front bumper.

here's a similar one, not my car.
Thats a strange variation, with the scoops it looks more like the Mach II style usually found on Mustangs.
Attached Thumbnails Jongbloed hood sunco???-mustang.jpg  
Old 03-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blew-By-You
Thats a strange variation, with the scoops it looks more like the Mach II style usually found on Mustangs.
That Mustang hood looks like the Cervini's Ram Air hood for Camaros.
http://www.cervinis.com/product.aspx?car=1&id=1126
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen
That Mustang hood looks like the Cervini's Ram Air hood for Camaros.
http://www.cervinis.com/product.aspx?car=1&id=1126
Which clearly looks inspired from the stock hood of the '71-'73 Mach 1

Last edited by Blew-By-You; 11-03-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: 305

Hey Blew-by-you where did you get that hood? Is there someplace that can be ordered from cause I'd love to have one.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Awesome-X
Hey Blew-by-you where did you get that hood? Is there someplace that can be ordered from cause I'd love to have one.
I bought mine from Hawks Third Gen Parts which still carries them (http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ca...stylehood.aspx)
They are pricey ~ $469 not including shipping.

The best deal is ebay where they are usually a little cheaper, this one is as cheap as I've ever seen --> (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fiber...Q5fAccessories)
Old 03-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Banned

I'm still dreaming of the day that one of these hood manufacturers open their eyes, and make a Jongbloed/Sunoco hood for a Firebird. I have ZERO doubt that they'd have orders for them, before they were even produced & ready to ship!

Anybody out there listening??????
Old 03-04-2010, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Blew-By-You
Yea it is, the stripes fit on like on the regular hood (I had the same kit on my old hood). I don't believe it would be possible to put the kit on a more conventional cowl. It's nice because the raise in the cowl allows plenty of room between the hood and the stripe to attach engine displacement numbers.

awesome, thanks for the info. the stripes with that hood looks sick.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:47 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 350-4bbl-Edelbrock Headers
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I could have written the E-Mail that SNAPPY wrote about My SS HOOD I purchased from Hawkes. The same exact problems. The deminisons were not the same as the stock hood they were smaller. He was smart to get rid of it, I wish I had. Now everytime I look at it I get more PISSED. I to spoke with Bruce a number of times, and tried to make it fit with his suggestions. This just sucks.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

I'm still dreaming of the day that one of these hood manufacturers open their eyes, and make a Jongbloed/Sunoco hood for a Firebird. I have ZERO doubt that they'd have orders for them, before they were even produced & ready to ship!

Anybody out there listening??????
is the IMSA style hood close enough for you? its still available. I think since the birds hood body lines taper in, the imsa hood is a good setup and flows well. Probably going to get one since the company that makes them is just over the river from me in PA.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
is the IMSA style hood close enough for you? its still available. I think since the birds hood body lines taper in, the imsa hood is a good setup and flows well. Probably going to get one since the company that makes them is just over the river from me in PA.
I've thought about that one. Even talked to them via email. Still available, but no real pics from the company, just their drawing pic.

Pop over there & tell them to make a Jongbloed/Sunoco Firebird hood. It WILL sell & sell GOOD, that I have no doubt. They don't even have to make new lines of anything. Just follow the stock "creases" & go up. Pretty simple!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

i think we are talking about a different company, they still dont have a great pic, but its a real car, a blue formy.
http://www.fiberpartsconcepts.com/1289627.html

it would take a rather large ivestment to make a new style hood, even as simple as you think the sunco would be. They would have to be interested and have a bunch of preorders first im sure.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
i think we are talking about a different company, they still dont have a great pic, but its a real car, a blue formy.
http://www.fiberpartsconcepts.com/1289627.html

it would take a rather large ivestment to make a new style hood, even as simple as you think the sunco would be. They would have to be interested and have a bunch of preorders first im sure.
Same company, I recognize the site. I was just remembering the pic wrong.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac

I personally love the Jongbloed hood, but I needed something taller than 3" to cover my blower. Whatever I got had to be 4" or taller, and 5" was pushing the envelope for being able to see over it on the street.

Besides, I couldn't find a 5" version of the hood anyway, but I think they used to sell them...

EDIT: The Florida Keys have been kind to your Thirdgen Blew-By-You - Nice ride for sure!!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:58 PM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 350

Wow, since my car isnt done yet its cool to see a few cars with the Sunoco hood.I liked the hood cause, as mentioned previously, it follows all the body lines.Didnt have any fitment problems.Anything that is aftermarket is gona take some tweeking to get it right.
Blew -by -you- Your car is friggin amazing!!! I love it!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:34 PM

Car: '82 Camaro Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 with powetrax

TTT for update about possible 5" Jongbloed.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 97 LT1 W/ Alot of goodies.
Transmission: 4L60E W/ Yank SS3600
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt BW

IMHO, those are THE hoods to have. They don't create new body lines, just enhance the existing lines.

I'd have one, but they are only made for Camaros. There is SO LITTLE available for Firebirds & those would sell like crazy, according to every 'bird owner I've talked to.

And yes.....The Sunoco is same hood as the Jongbloed.
My type of hood! but my turbo/daytona hood has stolen my heart.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:01 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Lt1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 auburn pro 9"

Kinda bringing this back. Bruce what would it take to basically take the sunoco hood and do a heat extraction section in the middle like the japanese hood?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
Kinda bringing this back. Bruce what would it take to basically take the sunoco hood and do a heat extraction section in the middle like the japanese hood?
Dunno exactly how the final design will come out looking like but.......
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/post...73-post55.html
Old 11-03-2010, 03:26 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Lt1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 auburn pro 9"

thanks man, not sure how I missed that thread
Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts