Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Fender rust rust rust?? What should i do? Cheapest way?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fender rust rust rust?? What should i do? Cheapest way?

Okay so I bought my 92 z28 in August. It needed a new fender (passenger) due to a minor wreck. When i removed that last bolt (the one closest to floor pan, which I'm not even sure if that was the floor pan or not) it was rusted to all hell and i ended up having to break it off because bolt wouldn't come out. Now with new fender i have nothing to attach that section to so its pretty loose causing alot of rubbing when you open door. I need some advice on how i should go about fixing this. Also I plan on possibly putting lambo doors on it soon (universal weld kit, don't judge just need advice please) and need to access both inner fender walls. Well on driver side, I can already tell that I'm going to have the same problem because the rust is almost completely covering the bolt. Help me out here any suggestions? Is this the floor pan or part of chassis?

Thanks for help!!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fender rust rust rust?? What should i do? Cheapest way?

Originally Posted by augie1209
Okay so I bought my 92 z28 in August. It needed a new fender (passenger) due to a minor wreck. When i removed that last bolt (the one closest to floor pan, which I'm not even sure if that was the floor pan or not) it was rusted to all hell and i ended up having to break it off because bolt wouldn't come out. Now with new fender i have nothing to attach that section to so its pretty loose causing alot of rubbing when you open door. I need some advice on how i should go about fixing this. Also I plan on possibly putting lambo doors on it soon (universal weld kit, don't judge just need advice please) and need to access both inner fender walls. Well on driver side, I can already tell that I'm going to have the same problem because the rust is almost completely covering the bolt. Help me out here any suggestions? Is this the floor pan or part of chassis?

Thanks for help!!
Your going to need to ghet that bolt out. Use pb blaster or another rust penetrater and an ez out or drill the remainder of the bolt out and get it out that way.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42
Re: Fender rust rust rust?? What should i do? Cheapest way?

Not to add to your to do list but, be sure to take a look at the floor board area where you're having trouble. Check for rusted body and floor boards. This is a catch & collect, long term rust trouble area.

Good luck with your project