Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Differences between stripes & IROC logo colors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Lots of 'em
Differences between stripes & IROC logo colors?

Exactly as the title says, what's the difference between them? I've seen IROC's with silver & black, red & black, and gold & black stripes, Z28 badges, and IROC logos. I have the gold & black IROC logo and Z28 bages, but the previous owner removed the stripes.

I've been told the colors basically show the option level of the car, basically how well it was optioned, but I highly doubt that. Feel free to correct me though. Was it just a color scheme, that didn't affect options, or a specific trim level?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:41 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: Differences between stripes & IROC logo colors?

Originally Posted by Shadow Z
Was it just a color scheme, that didn't affect options, or a specific trim level?
Yes.

JamesC
Old 12-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Supreme Member

Well thank you sir, I had a strong feeling that it was just that.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:51 AM

You mention in your cardomain that you're going to repaint, and that, of course, is your choice. That said, I've always thought that blue, along with the correct stripping, really popped. Anyway, pretty car as is.

JamesC
Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Supreme Member

Yep, I'm planning on repainting a different color. I like the blue and all, and it really does pop, but it has just gotten to seem too boy-ish to me. Light blue just makes me think of a kid's bedroom that has little sports wallpaper trim on it.

To me, black just looks so mean on these cars. I've still got a long way to go until I repaint, may not be until spring, possibly even later, fall/winter 2010.

Here's one of the nicest examples of a black IROC that I have ever seen.
Attached Thumbnails Differences between stripes & IROC logo colors?-bewc0ggbgk-kgrhqqokiqerzld9onvbk-hyrui8q-_3.jpg   Differences between stripes & IROC logo colors?-bewyw4gb2k-kgrhqiokiger-4vo1owbk-hj0im9   Differences between stripes & IROC logo colors?-bewz-i-cgk-kgrhqmokj8eryu9wyd4bk  
Old 12-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Black does look mean, which is one reason that I purchased an Altima Coupe 3.5 in Super Black. Keeping that black clean, however, is another story.

JamesC
Old 12-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Supreme Member

I'm pretty good in the car washing department, I've learned just about every little tip there is to washing cars, from a guy I know that works at Meguiars. Washing at dusk to keep the sun off of the water that's on the car, low pressure water to promote sheeting, that cuts down on water spots, drying with a leaf blower, the whole 2 bucket method to keep dirt out of the soap.

I was also talking to a professional painter, he mentioned that a metallic or sapphire black won't show dust as easily, compared to a solid black. I've done a fair amount of preperation incase I do go along with getting the Camaro painted black.

Today it would be white though, we've got over 6 inches of snow on the ground, and it's supposed to keep up until late Sunday / early Monday. LOL.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z camaro
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23 posi

Yep, I'm planning on repainting a different color. I like the blue and all, and it really does pop, but it has just gotten to seem too boy-ish to me. Light blue just makes me think of a kid's bedroom that has little sports wallpaper trim on it.

To me, black just looks so mean on these cars. I've still got a long way to go until I repaint, may not be until spring, possibly even later, fall/winter 2010.

Here's one of the nicest examples of a black IROC that I have ever seen.
your high, the blue looks killer on these cars i have several people wanting to paint there cars the color of mine. black is nice but way to many irocs in this color and i just think it would be stupid to repaint black when you already have a nice blue i love the color just check out my motortopia page and look at how many people commented just on the color. i really wanna see this color repainted really nicely mines still partly faded. its up to you but i suggest really thinking about it. just make sure to keep the car clean and it'll look great for a long time.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by iroc stangs
your high, the blue looks killer on these cars i have several people wanting to paint there cars the color of mine. black is nice but way to many irocs in this color and i just think it would be stupid to repaint black when you already have a nice blue i love the color just check out my motortopia page and look at how many people commented just on the color. i really wanna see this color repainted really nicely mines still partly faded. its up to you but i suggest really thinking about it. just make sure to keep the car clean and it'll look great for a long time.
See what I mean, blue actually is too boy-ish of a color, you're 13! Just kidding, but I had to do it.

Blue is still a very possible choice, I do like it, but it's just not my favorite. IrocDave's Camaro is making me want to keep mine blue, check it out.
Attached Thumbnails Differences between stripes & IROC logo colors?-bothirocs7-31-09005.jpg   Differences between stripes & IROC logo colors?-bothirocs7-31-09011.jpg   Differences between stripes & IROC logo colors?-bothirocs7-31-09013.jpg  
Old 12-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

See what I mean, blue actually is too boy-ish of a color, you're 13! Just kidding, but I had to do it.

Blue is still a very possible choice, I do like it, but it's just not my favorite. IrocDave's Camaro is making me want to keep mine blue, check it out.
ya thats a hell nice camaro that guys got i wish mine had that shine. im not sure what you do on keeping your paint up on your cars but black is gonna be a bitc* its gonna show every single piece of dirt on the car and gonna need to be washed and waxed properly. its already a pain for my durango thats dark blue just in a day you will see the whole car is covered in a thick coat of pollen and iv noticed a dark red, medium blue, gold, dark green those colors always pop out more even if they are dirty for example my durango got rained on plenty and when we were just parked over a lil bit of light the whole car glowed and you could see the blue so nicely and all the other cars color's didnt stand out 1 bit, it was like the super model in the middle of a bunch of other ugly azz girls guess who's gonna pop out the most. by the way if you do stick with blue are you going restore the color or repaint? and ethier way ( black or blue ) you go make sure to polish them rims iv seen that on blue camaros like are's are they really pop. im just warning you here and i just see to much black camaros and not enough blue ones. sorry for hijacking you thread. also if you are gonna repaint black i suggest the silver stripes/decals more or a medium blue might look nice

Last edited by iroc stangs; 12-20-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Supreme Member

ya thats a hell nice camaro that guys got i wish mine had that shine. im not sure what you do on keeping your paint up on your cars but black is gonna be a bitc* its gonna show every single piece of dirt on the car and gonna need to be washed and waxed properly.
Everyone says black is a pain, but it's really not. We got well over 6 inches of snow here, it's all turning into that dirty mix of water/dirt/snow, and my friend's black Kia is fine. Not to mention it hasn't been washed since probably spring, literally.

It depends on the shade, not the color it's self, it also depends a lot on the primer, and type of clear used. A metallic black with 3 or more coats of clear is going to look clean for weeks.

I learned how to wash cars from the professionals, Meguiars. I've also been talking to a few painters about different shades of black, discussing which would show the least amount of dirt. I'd probably be fine with it, washing at least once a week is no big deal to me. As for which pops more, black actually does attract the human eye less than any other color. Red attracts the eye the most, but red usually looks horrible on a Third Gen, with the exception of a few very nice ones I've seen on here, especially Justin's HOK candy apple red. He spent some SERIOUS $$$ on that, though. To me it's not really which attracts more attention, it's what looks better, and that opinion varies with everyone.

A Honda Civic with a fart can will attract everyone's attention, but it sounds like crap. A will probably always sound better, but will not attract the human ear as much, due to most V8's having a lower pitch to them, depending on the specific exhaust setup. I know mine personally, you can't even hear a Harley over it, LT's into a 3 inch Y pipe, no muffler.

I saw you made a lot of mistakes while washing the IROC. You used a single bucket, and did it in the sun.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Everyone says black is a pain, but it's really not. We got well over 6 inches of snow here, it's all turning into that dirty mix of water/dirt/snow, and my friend's black Kia is fine. Not to mention it hasn't been washed since probably spring, literally.

It depends on the shade, not the color it's self, it also depends a lot on the primer, and type of clear used. A metallic black with 3 or more coats of clear is going to look clean for weeks.

I learned how to wash cars from the professionals, Meguiars. I've also been talking to a few painters about different shades of black, discussing which would show the least amount of dirt. I'd probably be fine with it, washing at least once a week is no big deal to me. As for which pops more, black actually does attract the human eye less than any other color. Red attracts the eye the most, but red usually looks horrible on a Third Gen, with the exception of a few very nice ones I've seen on here, especially Justin's HOK candy apple red. He spent some SERIOUS $$$ on that, though. To me it's not really which attracts more attention, it's what looks better, and that opinion varies with everyone.

A Honda Civic with a fart can will attract everyone's attention, but it sounds like crap. A will probably always sound better, but will not attract the human ear as much, due to most V8's having a lower pitch to them, depending on the specific exhaust setup. I know mine personally, you can't even hear a Harley over it, LT's into a 3 inch Y pipe, no muffler.

I saw you made a lot of mistakes while washing the IROC. You used a single bucket, and did it in the sun.
true i dont think many people wash there cars around where i live everyones car is dirty and about the paint most of the cars around here have stock paint and so is my durango's. ya the real car lovers know if there is something good coming up and know its not some civic. ya iv washed in the sun but since the car is just dusty i just go over it really quick and also it isnt very warm and i use a blower to get most of the water off and plus i cant even move the car ( legally ) if i could i would wash it in the middle of a parking lot lol. and about the bucket i make sure the bucket is complety clean and i use thick high quality soap and iv tried the two bucket method and it just didnt work well for me. also i wash lots more carefully when i do the durango as the camaro already have scratches LOTS OF THEM and the durango is competly mint condition. wait did you see me wash it personally?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:14 AM

hey just to add a little something here I had a black 4th gen 30th anniversary camaro which was beautiful and I would wash every couple of days but 45 minutes later there would be dust all over the thing now I'm sure you know a lot more about washing cars than I do but I highly doubt that primer or more clear coat is gonna make dust not land on the car again not trying to sound rude but it doesn't make sense to me. Also I would definitely think a metallic paint would make a huge difference as it's not that dust won't land on the car but you just won't notice it as much. Also I say go with black I think black is a timeless and looked good in the 20s, 50s, 80s and will always look good on any car and well I think blue will always be an option on cars the different shades I believe are a fad. I do think those blue camaros look nice but I would much rather have a red 3rd gen so it just goes to show you everyone has their own taste and you should just do what you want.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 AM
Supreme Member

wait did you see me wash it personally?
Lol, no. I live way over in Delaware, on the East Coast. I saw a picture of it on Car Domain, I'm guessing right after you finished washing it.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:20 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by hardon85
hey just to add a little something here I had a black 4th gen 30th anniversary camaro which was beautiful and I would wash every couple of days but 45 minutes later there would be dust all over the thing now I'm sure you know a lot more about washing cars than I do but I highly doubt that primer or more clear coat is gonna make dust not land on the car again not trying to sound rude but it doesn't make sense to me.
It's not a matter of dust landing on the car, it's a matter of how much the dust will be shown. A light primer will by nature, lighten up any paint, unless there are 6+ coats used, which is ridiculous. Metallic flakes tend to reflect sun light, which acts to almost hide the dirt. Another down fall of black cars are scratches. Multiple coats of clear will prevent almost any scratch from getting down into the actual coats of paint.

Every car has dust land on it even seconds after washing. Well, actually during the washing process, which is why that two bucket method becomes very handy. Rinsing the dirt off in the soap is self defeating, which most people do not know. They think they're washing, when all they're doing is rubbing dirt on their paint.

At least no matter how much I like black, I will NEVER buy a black truck. That's far too much black paint to take care of.

Ah.. Another one of my dreams, a 2003 and up Dodge Ram 2500, with a nice 5.9 Cummins 24 valve turbo Diesel, enough Torque to move the Earth. I drove my buddy's yesterday to smash the snow down in my driveway, sure is nice to hear that turbo. Sorry to you guys that are strictly GM owners, but Dodge made some awesome trucks, you just can't deny it.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

Lol, no. I live way over in Delaware, on the East Coast. I saw a picture of it on Car Domain, I'm guessing right after you finished washing it.
ok lol i was just kinda curious.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Supreme Member

It's not a matter of dust landing on the car, it's a matter of how much the dust will be shown. A light primer will by nature, lighten up any paint, unless there are 6+ coats used, which is ridiculous. Metallic flakes tend to reflect sun light, which acts to almost hide the dirt. Another down fall of black cars are scratches. Multiple coats of clear will prevent almost any scratch from getting down into the actual coats of paint.

Every car has dust land on it even seconds after washing. Well, actually during the washing process, which is why that two bucket method becomes very handy. Rinsing the dirt off in the soap is self defeating, which most people do not know. They think they're washing, when all they're doing is rubbing dirt on their paint.

At least no matter how much I like black, I will NEVER buy a black truck. That's far too much black paint to take care of.

Ah.. Another one of my dreams, a 2003 and up Dodge Ram 2500, with a nice 5.9 Cummins 24 valve turbo Diesel, enough Torque to move the Earth. I drove my buddy's yesterday to smash the snow down in my driveway, sure is nice to hear that turbo. Sorry to you guys that are strictly GM owners, but Dodge made some awesome trucks, you just can't deny it.
you make very good points and i guess i still have stuff to learn.

ya the dodge trucks are the BEST! i love those things and have you seen the 2010 3500's? those look freakin mean. i want a dodge ram any year but i would like something like you mentioned but jacked up with every off road thing you can imagine on that and a jack up 79 bronco would be really nice to
Old 01-15-2021, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Writing here just to not start another thread!

I've got a 1988 camaro, the body stripes are different (silver or gold on bottom and are different on size as previous models) could someone tell me please the stripes size and separation between them and some pictures of a 1988? Thank you!!!
Old 01-15-2021, 07:48 AM

Received 351 Likes on 277 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

The 88-90 were all the same.
99% of them had a thinner silver or gold stripe on bottom, a gap, then a thicker black stripe on top. -as you mention. ....there are also blue and black and red and black on some more rare color combos. Last but not least for some white cars, you could get yellow bottom and silver top stripe. I don't have the specific measurements.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:50 AM

Received 351 Likes on 277 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

Here's pic of that yellow/silver. Man, i love this combo! ...the sizes/spacing are all the same from 88-90

Old 01-15-2021, 08:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 657 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

Originally Posted by Abubaca
Here's pic of that yellow/silver. Man, i love this combo! ...the sizes/spacing are all the same from 88-90
Ugh.....every time I see one it makes me miss my old car

And the new owner is doing an LS7, 6 speed swap in it with all Detroit Speed suspension....

Old 01-16-2021, 04:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 191 Likes on 129 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

I like the red stripes too... Love black with red stripes and white with red stripes and red interior...

dagwood, someone is swapping that sweet G92 N10 car? Dang!

Old 01-16-2021, 06:34 PM

They're all beautiful!!! Those stripes I think are a nice touch to the car! That's why I want to put them again in my 88, they were deleted by the first owner and the second owner did install some hideous stripes not even close to the original.

Could you help me with details? Is the stripes reflective, mat, shinny or somewhat glittery? I'm thinking black and silver for my yellow '88

​​​​
Old 01-18-2021, 02:51 AM

Those are awesome combinations! I think that those stripes are a nice detail, that's why I want to restore them. The first owner deleted them, and the second owner put some hideous stripes not even close to the originals. I'm going for a black with silver on my yellow iroc-z. Could you tell me if they are reflective, mat, shinny or somewhat glittery, I want a pretty close reproduction. I live in Colombia, so I want a local business to do them for me so I need some details about them.

Thank you!!!
Old 01-18-2021, 06:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 191 Likes on 129 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

To my knowledge none are reflective but the silver and gold are slightly metallic.

A black car would historically come:

85-87 style: Silver, Gold or Red

88-90 style:
Silver with blue stripe, Gold, Red

I’m interested to see what a yellow stripe would look like on a black car. Might look weird with red interior. The red interior cars were usually red decal kit.

gray interior was usually the silver/blue stripe

tan interior was usually the gold stripes.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 657 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ
I like the red stripes too... Love black with red stripes and white with red stripes and red interior...

dagwood, someone is swapping that sweet G92 N10 car? Dang!

Yep, he's doing a HUGE MONEY swap. Everything is brand spanking new. I'm kinda bummed he is doing it to such a nice car that was optioned perfectly.

My old car is sitting next to a KILLER 67 Corvette, that he did the same exact thing to.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:00 PM

Exactly as the title says, what's the difference between them? I've seen IROC's with silver & black, red & black, and gold & black stripes, Z28 badges, and IROC logos. I have the gold & black IROC logo and Z28 bages, but the previous owner removed the stripes.

I've been told the colors basically show the option level of the car, basically how well it was optioned, but I highly doubt that. Feel free to correct me though. Was it just a color scheme, that didn't affect options, or a specific trim level?

Thanks in advance for any info.
I remember reading that the stripes helped reference the model. I can't remember which one went on top but an example would be with the black and silver stripes it would be a Iroc-Z with a 5.7 with silver on top or a Z28 with a 5.0 with black on top (or vice versa I can't remember for sure. Many owners have redone the stripes and badges when selling to increase sale price.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:05 PM

Received 180 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Originally Posted by Sean Alsup
I remember reading that the stripes helped reference the model. I can't remember which one went on top but an example would be with the black and silver stripes it would be a Iroc-Z with a 5.7 with silver on top or a Z28 with a 5.0 with black on top (or vice versa I can't remember for sure. Many owners have redone the stripes and badges when selling to increase sale price.

This is incorrect information. The black/silver stripe was on 1985-1987 IROC-Zs. The silver/black was on 1988-1990 IROC-Zs. Now, there were other color combinations as seen in this thread, but there isn't a single stripe or badge on the 3rd gens that would increase its sales price. The 5.7 callouts on the rear bumper and side rockers also didn't help sell the car for more as the engine code is listed in the VIN. Anybody not doing their homework when buying a car deserves what they get.