Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

diy powdercoating

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diy powdercoating

Yes I searched for this and couldn't find anything. I'm just wondering if anyone does this and what their results are? Apparently all you need is one of these guns and some powder and a household oven, it looks pretty simple that's why I'm asking if anyone has done this. This would be great if it was this simple I think my whole car would be powder coated before long.

http://www.eastwood.com/catalog/prod...n/category/18/
Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45
Re: diy powdercoating

You need a *spare* oven - it can't be used for food once it's been powdercoated in. I've heard that you can get good results, but I have no personal experience.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 90RS Conv.
Engine: 383 w/ small shot
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: moser 9in

i have the eastwood gun. I absolutly love it, I want to p/c everything. Got poop faced a couple of weekends ago and p/c'd some corona bottles, for poops and giggles.

on a serious note, it does take some practice and a big learning curve to get it right. your final results will always be determined by the prep work.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:49 PM

I just did up by brakes using the Craftsman Powder gun and craftsman powder. Turned out real nice, it would be better if I did not touch the powder before it cured ... doh.

I paid $40 for the gun and like $5 for the powder. I used a cheap old toaster oven. Anything that heats up to 400 degrees will work. But yes please do not use your cooking oven. If you have any questions please let me know. I have learned a lot I can share.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

here is a link to the eastwood forums, for powdercoating

http://forum.eastwood.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

at the top you will see archives with a couple hundred pages, there is alot of fantastic info in there.

get the elite kit, well worth the money
http://www.eastwood.com/catalog/prod...t/category/18/

i agree with pheonix, get a toaster oven off craigslist and work your way into it.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:17 AM

hey guys thanks for the replies, you are exactly the ones I wanted to hear from. I actually have looked into this before but I read a few problems so I didn't know if everyone had those or just a select few. I did realize you would need a spare oven, but a couple more questions

1. Has anyone tried the chrome finish (I realize it's not actually chrome) if so how did it turn out was it pretty close to chrome looking or not

2. has anybody ever done wheels in an oven? I have heard that temperature differences in an oven can make the finishes come out different. If you have done this, were you satisfied with the results (if so, this more than justifies the cost of getting started in this.)

3. I am also curious on the tricks that have worked for you guys as far as prep work after reading through some things I was thinking

1. sandblast item as good as possible

2. rinse item as good as possible to remove all sand

3. powdercoat item

does this sound like a good process or do I need to do more, also what would you recommend to clean with, just soap and water I have also heard clean motor oil works really good or is there something else better

Thanks again for the replies you guys are awesome
Old 10-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Supreme Member

i have tried the single stage chrome, and the 2 stage chrome from pbtp( powder buy the pound.com)
i think the single stage is better b/c you dont need to top coat it.it looks nice. It looks like chrome from about 2 feet away. mostly like shiny silver.

the other chrome has to be top coated. it will tarnish . more steps to mess up on.

if you like a nice wet black look, def get a bottle of the mirror black. people dont want to touch it b/c it looks so wet.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Supreme Member

here are some before and after shots so you can get an idea of what the single stage chrome looks like.

The last one is just some scrap i had so you could see the reflectiveness.
Attached Thumbnails diy powdercoating-100_0754.jpg   diy powdercoating-100_0756.jpg   diy powdercoating-100_0757.jpg  
Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Supreme Member

i am still trying to get my cleaning technique mastered. one thing i did learn is to make sure whatever you put in your blaster make sure there isnt any grease or oil on it. or you will contaminate everything that you put in there after it.

my steps now.

soak in parts washer
rinse with water, and blow dry
brake cleaner and scrub if nessasary
media blast.
water rinse.and blow dry
scrub with simple green, and rinse and blow dry
spray down with acetone
mask, tape, plug, wire, whatever to get ready for coat.
then a final wipe down with wax and oil remover.
use a propane torch for any lint
then P/c.

it seems like alot of steps, but a couple pieces of sand will really booger up the finish. Time frame on lets say a water pump pulley (depends if painted or coated)from start to putting into the oven, 20-25 minutes. of which most of the time being in the blaster.

i just got a double wall oven off of craigslist, so now im going to try bringing a set of rs wheels back to life for my wifes vert.

oh youll def need to outgas any aluminum before you coat it, so that will add a step or 2
Old 10-18-2009, 08:07 PM

wow that looks really good I am really impressed I will be anxiously awaiting to see how the wheels turn out

and to tpi383 I'm sorry I haven't gotten a hold of you yet I appreciate your help though but I haven't picked up my car yet and I haven't got any of the materials yet but thank you
Old 10-21-2009, 01:05 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird
Engine: L03

Check with these guys.

http://store.columbiacoatings.com/

Scott
Old 10-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Car: '92 RS Camaro
Engine: 406ci D1SC SBC
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 9" W/Truetrac

The Eastwood forum is excellent for information. Im building an oven from an old freezer I got cheap. Its one of those "I should really be building my car, but cant help messing with other gadgets" projects?!